Front end "rubbing" noise over bumps. Suspension problem! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 AM
First Responder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Front end "rubbing" noise over bumps. Suspension problem!

I noticed a few months back that if i turn my wheel all the way to one side, then go down a driveway or over a bump, when the suspension compresses to absorb the shock i get a horrible sound that is similar to the sound of a tire rubbing in your wheel well mixed with the suspension bottoming out. I cant determine if it is one or both sides, but it drives me nuts and cant possible be normal. Someone suggested my bushings need to be oiled or my bump stop, but I cant figure it out. Anyone ever experience this before? Ideas what it could be? Im taking it to the dealer next week its under warranty but im trying to get ideas ahead of time. Oh and its a 09 Dbl cap TRD sport all stock suspension rims and tires. Thanks!

5100's @1.75 w/ TSB BFG 265/70/17 - HID's - Pioneer HU - 2 JL Amps - JL Stealthbox - Focal Spkrs - Magnaflow - K&N - Tube Steps - Viper - Bed Lights - Rear Flood Lights - Emergency Response Lighting/PA/Siren - LED Swap - S2 Radar - Parrot BT - Short Ant. - Mobile 1 - and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Car Dealers Suck !

I think it is normal. mine does it also since new. Sharp left uturn with a slight dip in the road and a loud creak. I make this turn in the same place at least once a week.

#3 Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
***lurking***

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I used to hear it all the time when I was backing out of the driveway coming off the curb. Checked the suspension several times, never found anything out of the ordinary. I would chalk it up to being "normal."

I just noticed in your sig that you have an emergency response light bar and PA....are these work related????
#4 Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM
First Responder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys. I figured it was normal but Ive never seen anyone ever mention it so I just thought id ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TRDOFFROAD View Post
I just noticed in your sig that you have an emergency response light bar and PA....are these work related????
Yeah they are work related. I have a lightbar mounted inside the windshield on the passenger side, 2 single lights flush mounted behind the grill, a lightbar in the back window, my hi beams wig-wag, and my brake/reverse lights wig-wag. I will be adding more lighting soon. Plan is to swap out the rear bar for one that is longer and has the directional arrow stick built in, as well as add strobes all around on the corners (inside the headlight/tailight housing) I also have a full siren/air horn/pa as well.

If you look in "my garage" you can see the front lightbar mounted inside the cab as well as the ones flush mounted in the grill.

5100's @1.75 w/ TSB BFG 265/70/17 - HID's - Pioneer HU - 2 JL Amps - JL Stealthbox - Focal Spkrs - Magnaflow - K&N - Tube Steps - Viper - Bed Lights - Rear Flood Lights - Emergency Response Lighting/PA/Siren - LED Swap - S2 Radar - Parrot BT - Short Ant. - Mobile 1 - and more

Last edited by ajenright; 02-11-2012 at 06:39 PM.
#5 Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
***lurking***

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Volunteer Fire or something then?
#6 Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 AM
First Responder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Armed Response Team. Its for a private company, im not a sworn officer, but we work hand in hand with our local departments. My lights are amber/clear, not red/blue.

Sent from my Verizon Android Smartphone using Autoguide

#7 Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Wishin' I was Fishin'

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Do you still have the stock front mudflaps? If so, I bet they are rubbing / dragging / bottoming out. They make a lot more commotion then you'd imagine, but trimming 4" off the bottom with a pair of snips works wonders.

Another thing to check is that the front bumper beam nuts are tight on the frame studs, any looseness will cause creaking as the frame flexes, something that happens when steering to full lock due to caster.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity"

Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by landphil; 02-12-2012 at 05:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to landphil For This Useful Post:
ajenright (02-13-2012)
#8 Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Got Snow?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Thanked 1,031 Times in 812 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Do you still have the stock front mudflaps? If so, I bet they are rubbing / dragging / bottoming out. They make a lot more commotion then you'd imagine, but trimming 4" off the bottom with a pair of snips works wonders.
Why didn't I think of that! I bet that's exactly the OP's problem. Just today in a parking lot with speed bumps, I saw a white DC with the longer front flaps go over a speed bump and they rubbed. I asked my wife if she heard that noise, and she did but didn't know what it was.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
#9 Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 AM
First Responder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post

Another thing to check is that the front bumper beam nuts are tight on the frame studs, any looseness will cause creaking as the frame flexes, something that happens when steering to full lock due to caster.
Ill check that out tomorrow, assuming its not raining that is. Unfortunately, I dont believe thats the problem. Ive heard my flaps scrape before and this is very different. Also I just washed her a few days ago and the bottom of my flaps seemed perfectly smooth, then again, i wasnt exactly looking for that either so I may be completely wrong. Hopefully for my sake your right though. But either way Im gathering that this is a common noise heard by many. Im taking my truck in for a windshield creaking noise anyways, so Ill probably just mention it to them anyways. Just hit my 36,000 miles this week, but i have the extended warranty from toyota so it shouldnt be a problem. Its either 5yr 100k or 7yr 100k I forget. BTW, does anyone have experience with toyotas extended full bumper to bumper platinum warranty?? My dealer has been GREAT with all my warranty work so far, even replaced things that were caused by aftermarket products. Already had my TSB done in the rear end so thats good atleast.
Thanks for the helps everyone. Ill check out those flaps asap!

#10 Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Wishin I was Fishin

I usually only use my front mud flaps in the winter. I heard them drag last week when I drove over a small curb.....I took them off when I got home that night. JUNK
#11 Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 PM
First Responder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Dealer stated it was my steering intermediate drive shaft. I guess well find out next week after they replace under some TSB i never heard about. PLease see my new thread: Intermediate Steering Shaft and Windshield Rattle/Tick TSB

Last edited by ajenright; 02-18-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)