Toyota recalls over 681,000 vehicles in US - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
x2. They have a process in place to refund any money paid previously for something that's later recalled. Not sure if you have to turn in receipts or what.
Any one know the proper process for this? I shelled out close to $700 for this silly fix a few months back and definately want my $ back.

What do I go back to the dealer that fixed it and hit up the service manager and ask for a refund?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Can hold his own

^ Pretty much, if they try to give you the run around just call Toyota Corporate and explain the issue. When it comes to a recall the last thing they want is bad press...
#18 Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Got Snow?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Thanked 1,031 Times in 812 Posts
Garage
Yeah, I've read about the refunds on recall items, but I don't think it gave instructions. I actually think you're supposed to call Toyota Corporate and work with them. They'll probably be the ones to process it and cut a check.

EDIT:

Found this on NHTSA's website:

If I pay for needed repairs before a recall is ordered, am I entitled to reimbursement?

Yes, under certain conditions. Manufacturers are required to provide reimbursement for certain costs incurred by owners to remedy safety defect conditions prior to a recall. Vehicle manufacturers are required to reimburse owners for costs incurred to remedy a defect based on either (1) the date NHTSA opens its Engineering Analysis, or (2) one year prior to the manufacturer’s notification of a defect to NHTSA, whichever is earlier. The closing date of eligibility for reimbursement of repair of a motor vehicle is 10 days after the manufacturer mails the last of the owner notices informing owners of a safety defect recall and cost-free remedy. For replacement of equipment, the closing date is either the same as for motor vehicles or 30 days after the manufacturer’s closing of its efforts to provide public notice of the existence of a defect, whichever is later. Documentation of the costs is required for reimbursement. While the current reimbursement policy is a relatively new requirement, manufacturers have in the past often voluntarily agreed to absorb such costs, provided customers could prove the pre-recall repairs remedied the defect in question.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD

Last edited by 05Moose; 03-08-2012 at 01:07 PM.
#19 Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
New TN User

thanks spithead051 and 05Moose for the info.

I found the receipt/write up from the dealer and I'm even more glad to say that I paid the bill with American Express. If the dealer/corporate wont play ball, I know AMX will. They are infamous for sticking it to the merchant and compensating their customers while investigating the claim. I should know, I'm a merchant and AMX, while giving the merchant the benefit to appeal, will pull the money right away to compensate the customer before you even get to send them your explanation.

I'm going to contact the dealer now to see if they'll compensate me, though I'm thinking I may have to wait til I get the recall notice (if I get it at all since I've already had the work performed!).

Can someone on the forum post their recall notice as soon as they get it? They supposed to come out in April, right?
#20 Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Taco View Post
I did not have them do the accelerator pedal and ecu flash. I will have this recall done. I should probably tell them to not do the ECU flash or pedal when I bring it in.
I can understand not wanting your gas pedal sawed off but what is wrong with the ECU flash? I thought it made the tranny shift better.

'07 Tacoma Silver DC PR SB SR5 V6 AT TP LSD
The Following User Says Thank You to dl1027 For This Useful Post:
needamog (03-08-2012)
#21 Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
2006 SB Dbl Cab V6 Sport

(Thread Starter)
The ECU flash was a blessing for me. Totally fixed my cruise control issue of downshifting 2 gears ascending uphill.....very, very smooth now.
The Following User Says Thank You to nascarfan00 For This Useful Post:
needamog (03-08-2012)
#22 Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
2006 SB Dbl Cab V6 Sport

(Thread Starter)
I'll post under this thread when I receive mine in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlue View Post
thanks spithead051 and 05Moose for the info.

I found the receipt/write up from the dealer and I'm even more glad to say that I paid the bill with American Express. If the dealer/corporate wont play ball, I know AMX will. They are infamous for sticking it to the merchant and compensating their customers while investigating the claim. I should know, I'm a merchant and AMX, while giving the merchant the benefit to appeal, will pull the money right away to compensate the customer before you even get to send them your explanation.

I'm going to contact the dealer now to see if they'll compensate me, though I'm thinking I may have to wait til I get the recall notice (if I get it at all since I've already had the work performed!).

Can someone on the forum post their recall notice as soon as they get it? They supposed to come out in April, right?
#23 Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1027 View Post
I can understand not wanting your gas pedal sawed off but what is wrong with the ECU flash? I thought it made the tranny shift better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarfan00 View Post
The ECU flash was a blessing for me. Totally fixed my cruise control issue of downshifting 2 gears ascending uphill.....very, very smooth now.
^^ x2, my cruise control was junk and now it works reasonably well -- not as good as some I have owned, but a huge improvement.

My main concern was getting the gas pedal chopped, mainly b/c Mrs Splicer has very small feet. Luckily it turned out to be a non-issue.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#24 Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Wishin I was Fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1027 View Post
That's a great point. I have always bought into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset. I have not noticed any shifting issues in the transmission so far. Does/did the brake override ecu flash make your trans shift smoother?
#25 Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 PM
***lurking***

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Taco View Post
That's a great point. I have always bought into the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset. I have not noticed any shifting issues in the transmission so far. Does/did the brake override ecu flash make your trans shift smoother?
I have heard several people comment about a change in the shift points after the ECU reflash as well as the "lurch" disappearing....might be coincidence, but I will likely have them reflash my ECU while I am in for the clock spring. But they are not going anywhere near my gas pedal....don't even get me started on that BS recall!
#26 Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 PM
One with the force

What is a "spiral cable"?

2006 DC short bed 6 spd 4x4 TRD off road. MB 72 16x8.5 with 275/70-16 Yokohama AT's. 5100's (front) set at 1.75". Leaf TSB & 1" blocks. Toyo front skid. Toyo Tube Steps. Weathertech floorliners. Coverking Seat Covers. GPS.
#27 Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 AM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TRDOFFROAD View Post
I will likely have them reflash my ECU while I am in for the clock spring. But they are not going anywhere near my gas pedal....don't even get me started on that BS recall!
Before my dealer did the 90L recall on mine, I asked them to just reflash the ECU without doing the recall -- in other words, do not cut my pedal. They told me Toyota's strict policy was they could only reflash as part of the recall, and they were required to also shorten the pedal if they did the recall. That said, some guys have talked their service managers into leaving the pedal alone. Best if you work it out with them before they touch the truck. But as I posted above, the pedal had been a huge concern of mine.... and neither my wife nor I can notice any difference.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4

Last edited by Splicer; 03-09-2012 at 12:18 AM.
#28 Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
What is a "spiral cable"?
It connects the steering wheel stuff to the car. Air bag, horn audio and cruise controls. I assume it is coiled like a spring so it winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel back and forth.

06 DC LB, 4x4, Speedway , TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL 6CD w/ Grom to IPod, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Hood Struts, Scangauge, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Toyo Open Country AT tires
#29 Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd echo the idea that getting the pedal cut is no big deal. It sounds scary - why would you want the dealer to hack up a factory part? But it's all plastic, so it's very easy to cut, and Toyota provided the dealers with metal templates to follow. There's no difference in function, as your foot probably doesn't touch the bottom one-inch portion of the pedal anyway. If they hack it up too bad and it looks horrible, you can complain after they do it and make them order a new pedal assembly that's made to be the correct size.

If you want to find out if any recall work is outstanding on your Toyota vehicle, including this new one about the spiral cable, go here and check your VIN:
http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pag...ources/recalls

2013 Highlander Limited
2009 Tacoma DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
Retired: 2000 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6 TRD Off Road 4x4
#30 Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto View Post
I'd echo the idea that getting the pedal cut is no big deal. It sounds scary - why would you want the dealer to hack up a factory part? But it's all plastic, so it's very easy to cut, and Toyota provided the dealers with metal templates to follow. There's no difference in function, as your foot probably doesn't touch the bottom one-inch portion of the pedal anyway. If they hack it up too bad and it looks horrible, you can complain after they do it and make them order a new pedal assembly that's made to be the correct size.
I'll buy that. The gas pedal cutting is no big deal.

But really, this whole gas pedal cutting so called fix is in my opinion a scam. It's a diversion away from the real issue that is worked around with the ECU flash that adds the brake override capability. I think Toyota knows it but this is a way for them to avoid liability.

'07 Tacoma Silver DC PR SB SR5 V6 AT TP LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)