V6 Tacoma Towing capability - Your advice - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM
New TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
V6 Tacoma Towing capability - Your advice

Hi,

I have a 06 4x4 V6 long cab, with a topper. I am thinking about buying an awesome RV camping trailer.

The empty gross weight (UVW) is 5240 lbs. The weight of the Tacoma truck empty is 5450. I think I am close to the limit for pulling this. I know the truck pull max spec is 6500lbs In the owners manual is states not to pull over 11100 total gross, (trailer, truck, occupants etc.). I will probably exceed that a couple hundred with 4 occupants and stuff.

Has anyone had any experience with pulling a larger size trailer. This is a 32' ultralight unit. I do use the truck currently to pull an oversize popup w/no problems. I do have the towing package and a brake controller installed. The trailer GVWR is 7575lbs, dual axles 3500lb each. The UVW is 5240lbs I almost have to really limit the weight with water etc.

I run the 5100s all around, stock height and run Cooper STS all terrains.

Thank You in advance for any advice.

P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
lover of teh boobies

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Time for a larger truck. You bought a midsize, not a full size. It's not worth endangering yourself and other people on the road trying to make your midsize pull/stop something it was never designed to do.
#3 Old 03-08-2012, 03:15 PM
New TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I kind of figured as much...knowing better. But I am NOT spending money on a Tundra with crummy mileage, similar to the Tacoma. When I bought the Tacoma new, I could have chosen the old style Tundra, but it only had the 4.7L...which still would not have helped me currently.

Thanks for the opinion.
#4 Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

No NEARLY enough truck to pull that load. Tacoma is a great truck but it's not made for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zembonez For This Useful Post:
PatsSfan (03-08-2012)
#5 Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I don't think that a Tacoma is designed to take something like that. Having pulled some pretty heavy loads a few times, I would not recommend it even if it were close. The truck just isn't heavy enough for that. Our rubber band springs won't handle that for sure, even with Ride Rites it would be scary.

For about 10K you can buy a used diesel and use it just for hauling, that kind of weight won't even make it struggle. A buddy bought a 2005 Dodge quad cab with a cummins diesel with 200K on it for 10K. That thing would pull your house over and it's probably just getting broken in. He hauls a 28' car hauler fully loaded with race car and tools and rarely needs to come out of 6th gear.

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '07 Camry XLE I4, '06 Camry XLE V6, '06 Tacoma traded @175K.

#6 Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
***lurking***

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Time for a larger truck. You bought a midsize, not a full size. It's not worth endangering yourself and other people on the road trying to make your midsize pull/stop something it was never designed to do.
I agree!

I tow a 3500 lb GVWR Hybrid Travel Trailer, and it is about as much as I would ever tow with the Tacoma.
#7 Old 03-08-2012, 10:52 PM
One with the force

Everybody above is right. Do yourself a favor and listen to them.
See my other recent thread, you'll know I am speaking from experience.

2006 DC short bed 6 spd 4x4 TRD off road. MB 72 16x8.5 with 275/70-16 Yokohama AT's. 5100's (front) set at 1.75". Leaf TSB & 1" blocks. Toyo front skid. Toyo Tube Steps. Weathertech floorliners. Coverking Seat Covers. GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)