About to install new Double Din Stereo - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
About to install new Double Din Stereo

I already put some JL audio Coaxial 6.5" in the doors. I'm about to be installing the new Double Din Clarion 501 radio and dash kit from Crutchfield.

I will relay my experiences here. First I am wondering if I will need an amp for the front speakers. We'll see if the head unit alone is powerful enough to make the JL Coax's sing.

I've already built a custom box that I had from previous system w/ an 8" sub.

I need an amp for the sub for sure, but don't know if I should just get an amp for the sub or for the sub and the front speakers.

We'll see, and I'll keep this thread updated with pictures along the way.

By the way, I am using Coax 6.5's JL's, not seperates, because I got a really good deal on them. They are installed now with the stock radio and they sound just ok. Nothing special.

Soon I will have Bass!

'06 ACCESS CAB V6 MANUAL PRERUNNER TRD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 AM
lover of teh boobies

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Obviously an amplifier to the front/rear speakers is the ideal way to do things. Up to you and your listening preferences if you need to do it though.
#3 Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentsupply View Post

I need an amp for the sub for sure, but don't know if I should just get an amp for the sub or for the sub and the front speakers.
I am currently running a kicker 500.3 and regret it. Performance wise I wish I had bought a better mono amp and saved to run a 4 channel amp in the future.

Personal preference tho
#4 Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Taco, mmmmmmm!

a little install tip, use the stock mounting brace off the stock radio if it will fit the radio correctly. at a minimum... use the the stock screws that are used in the stock radio. they have lock washers attached to them. i had the aftermarket radio screws back out because they didn't have lock washers. something i didn't think about when i was installing it.

06' Silver DC 4x4 V6 6spd TRD Off Road pkg
"When in combat, you will not rise to the occasion. Rather, you will fall to the level of your training."
#5 Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Another option is to get a 4 ch amp and use channel 1 & 2 for the JL coax's and bridge channels 3 & 4 for the sub. Then power the rear speakers off of the Clarion. Im doing this in my '04 Civic and works very well.

My 05 Tacoma has a 4ch Alpine powering Diamond Audio seperates up front and coax's in back doors. Then i have a 2ch Precision Power 2 ch bridged for my sub.
#6 Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 AM
First Responder

Garage
As Vonner stated, dont get a 3 channel, or a 5 channel, you will regret it. Not worth the cost savings at all. However, if you insist on taking the least expensive route, use Basshead760's idea. Although not particularly ideal, it will work much better than a 3 or 5 channel. I did this a few years back in my ex's 05 single cab. Ch 1 and 2 for the front door speakers, and ch 3 and 4 bridged mono to the sub. Keep in mind that this will ONLY work if you have a 4 ch amp with individual low pass and high pass filtering for ch 1/2 and 3/4. Some cheaper amps will not have this option, just keep that in mind before you purchase.

With the above in mind, I HIGHLY recommend an amp for your door speakers! They are JL speakers which is an excellent brand (one of my favorite) and although they require minimal wattage compared to some other brands, a typical 50x4w deck is not near enough to produce CLEAN and CLEAR sound quality from those speakers. Yes, they will work fine without an amp, but will be more likely to blow a voice coil from lack of power (yes, a speaker can and will "blow" from being underpowered)

I have installed sound systems in vehicles for years, and am also MECP (Mobile Electronics Certified Pro.) and my .02 would be that if you are going to run a product like JL audio (even though they are just coax and not components does not make a difference) do yourself, your truck, your speakers, and everyone who rides in your truck a favor... get a good quality 4 ch amp for your highs and a 1 or 2 ch for your sub. A system is not complete without 2 amps. I wouldnt be stressing the important of this so much if i knew it really didnt matter. I have installed cheap crap that didtnt even have a brand logo on it to $20,000+ systems in lamborghini's, range rovers, bently's, you name it... and let me tell you this, in my 6 years of doing this, I can personally guarantee you that using decent amplifiers AND the right size power/ground cable will drastically improve ANY systems sound quality and capabilities as well as increase the life of your products. I would say take it to a small shop and see what they say. You dont have to purchase, but I bet they will tell you the same thing.

Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. I am quite knowledgeable in this area and enjoy helping with electrical and sound system design/product questions. Good luck

5100's @1.75 w/ TSB BFG 265/70/17 - HID's - Pioneer HU - 2 JL Amps - JL Stealthbox - Focal Spkrs - Magnaflow - K&N - Tube Steps - Viper - Bed Lights - Rear Flood Lights - Emergency Response Lighting/PA/Siren - LED Swap - S2 Radar - Parrot BT - Short Ant. - Mobile 1 - and more
#7 Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 AM
First Responder

Garage
Just so you know I wasnt full of crap in my last post

5100's @1.75 w/ TSB BFG 265/70/17 - HID's - Pioneer HU - 2 JL Amps - JL Stealthbox - Focal Spkrs - Magnaflow - K&N - Tube Steps - Viper - Bed Lights - Rear Flood Lights - Emergency Response Lighting/PA/Siren - LED Swap - S2 Radar - Parrot BT - Short Ant. - Mobile 1 - and more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)