Average Cost of Standard Brake Job - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question Average Cost of Standard Brake Job

Does anyone know what it averages to have brakes done on a 2006 toyota tacoma truck (not 4wd). I won't take it to any place but the dealer as les schwab is my only other option AND they broke sensors on it twice changing tires so I do not trust them. I know it won't be cheap but I am dreading taking it in as I am on unemployment and can't really afford it anyways LOL. They do not squeal all the time just when going in reverse or very slowly and they just started doing it 2 days ago so I wanted to get it in before they got even worse. Thanks everyone in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Official TN Member

fronts: $67 for oem pads and $50 for labor from my mechanic...i always change early to keep from doing rotars. u can do it yourself in about an hour and a half. havent done rears with 65k on them....
#3 Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I cannot do it lol I do know how to change my oil so for a girl I think I am am better off than some My toyota charges 89 an hour for labor but now I feel better knowing a little more so thank you for you reply
#4 Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Got Snow?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Thanked 1,027 Times in 809 Posts
Garage
Knowing your abilities does help in answering your question. With what you said, I'll add that your rear brakes won't need any work done. They'll last somewhere between 100k-200k miles (my rears are maybe half worn at 120k miles). Regarding the fronts...If you're not having any brake pedal pulsing when applying the brakes, you likely do not need, nor want, your front rotors turned when the pads are replaced. It's a quick job to replace the front pads on the Tacoma unless someone wants to remove the rotors for turning. What is turning rotors? Turning them grinds them down a little which makes the surface even. The downside is that it shortens the life of the rotor because it has less thickness to wear down to the minimum. The other downside is that they tend to warp (causing brake pulsing) once they've been turned because they're thinner. But if you are experiencing any brake pulsing, then turning them is necessary. Hope that info helps you in communicating better with a mechanic.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD

Last edited by 05Moose; 09-22-2012 at 11:48 PM.
#5 Old 09-23-2012, 12:42 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for you response. There is NO pulsing/grinding etc I ONLY hear it when going under 10 mph or when first backing up/putting it in reverse. I am just extra cautious with this truck because my last car I ignored the "warning noise" it made until I had to have the rotors etc replaced which ended up costing me over 700! So I'd like to nip this in the butt so to speak while it's just a standard repair again thanks for all your help
#6 Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Official TN Member

i replace my pads every 30k-40 k...just to keep rotars from needing replaced...changed too early...yes...get long life out of rotors...yes..like said above, pads are an easy job...u dont have to remove calipers ....i also run my tires usually around 45k...80% of tire failures occur in the last 20% of tire life...so, replace early and never have a tire failure...in a zillion miles over the last 25 years i have had one issue..hit a piece of metal on the highway that cut tread beyond repair....
#7 Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Just got back from having them done. They were pretty worn down they showed me. Just the front brakes were bad the back ones are still in the green on the chart so they didn't touch those I ended up paying $200 a little high but it's the dealership so I was expecting that LOL my only complaint is they are still squealling?!?!?!? I didn't hear it til I was almost home and I have called and left the guy a message to call me back but is this somewhat normal? I googled it and from what I found it says they prob didn't apply the anti squeal stuff and that they need broken in. Talked to my brother who does body work restoring cadillacs etc and he said they were prob too cheap to spray it on that they should quiet down within a week too so I feel better. I will say they STOP on a dime now so that part is good
#8 Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
New TN User

Did they repack your wheel bearings during the brake job? If so, you got a fair price I would say. If not, then they charged you about $150 in labor, which is a bit high for such a simple job.

The squeezing should go away in a week or two, once the pads and the rotors mate themselves better.

Even with the anti squeal grease you will hear your brakes for the first couple weeks, without having the rotors turned. (no need to have them turned, unless they're really gouged)
The Following User Says Thank You to lodihoseman For This Useful Post:
rockybalboa95973 (09-24-2012)
#9 Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 PM
New TN User

Sorry, spell check changed squealing into squeezing, previous post.
#10 Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodihoseman View Post
Did they repack your wheel bearings during the brake job? If so, you got a fair price I would say. If not, then they charged you about $150 in labor, which is a bit high for such a simple job.

The squeezing should go away in a week or two, once the pads and the rotors mate themselves better.

Even with the anti squeal grease you will hear your brakes for the first couple weeks, without having the rotors turned. (no need to have them turned, unless they're really gouged)
I just looked at the invoice/receipt again to check that yes they did repack my wheel bearings. Ironically the labor does say $130 though but it clearly states they repacked my wheel bearings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)