Bed twisted? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM
lover of teh boobies
 
johnecon2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 48
Thanked 75 Times in 71 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
With out the truck being on perfectly level ground, suspension sag near or at 0 and tire pressure optimal.... your bubble level didn't tell you anything.
johnecon2001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#17 Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Do Work!
 
AndeyHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
With out the truck being on perfectly level ground, suspension sag near or at 0 and tire pressure optimal.... your bubble level didn't tell you anything.
I realized that argument would come up, that's why I took bed rail slopes. No the bed rails may not be level depending on how level the truck sits, but there's no reason they should be at different angles (unless of course the frame is twisting it that way).

And the truck is sitting in a garage on, yes, perfectly level pavement. Checked tire pressure and they are all perfectly at 35psi. And there is absolutely nothing in the truck that would cause the suspension to sag that much on one side. Take this into account that you can obviously see the tailgate at a ridiculous angle compared to the rest if the truck, I'd say the bubbles say quite a bit for themselves.

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368

Last edited by AndeyHall; 11-21-2012 at 10:37 AM.
AndeyHall is offline  
#18 Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Wishin I was Fishin
 
Dark Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Where Ever I May Roam
Posts: 3,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Since i'm off work today I went out to the garage and put a level on my bed rails and they were both the same but not perfectly level. Probably due to the factory rake. If you want I can post some pictures for you. But, I don't think that would help you much.
Dark Taco is offline  
#19 Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Do Work!
 
AndeyHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Taco View Post
Since i'm off work today I went out to the garage and put a level on my bed rails and they were both the same but not perfectly level. Probably due to the factory rake. If you want I can post some pictures for you. But, I don't think that would help you much.
Yeah I mean it shouldn't matter what front to rear angle the bed rails are at, unless there is something like frame twist, they should be at the same angle, whatever that angle may be.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368
AndeyHall is offline  
#20 Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Got Snow?
 
05Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In the snow (NorCal)
Posts: 7,654
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Thanks: 435
Thanked 1,027 Times in 809 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I don't think the levels are even necessary. The frame is obviously twisted from the first pic.


'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
05Moose is offline  
#21 Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Do Work!
 
AndeyHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
I don't think the levels are even necessary. The frame is obviously twisted from the first pic.
That's what I say too!


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368
AndeyHall is offline  
#22 Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Jefferson State
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks: 75
Thanked 145 Times in 128 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
I don't think the levels are even necessary. The frame is obviously twisted from the first pic.
True.... add all the other pics and it's pretty damning evidence.... the frame certainly appears to be tweaked. The body shop should have caught it.

That said, I don't know for a fact whether it can (or should) be properly repaired. I do know that at least in the past, bent frames were routinely straightened. No doubt a lot of factors come into play. While it is noticeable, it doesn't look severe, and it's possible that it could be easily repaired -- I wouldn't rule it out without further investigation.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
Splicer is online now  
#23 Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Do Work!
 
AndeyHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
True.... add all the other pics and it's pretty damning evidence.... the frame certainly appears to be tweaked. The body shop should have caught it.

That said, I don't know for a fact whether it can (or should) be properly repaired. I do know that at least in the past, bent frames were routinely straightened. No doubt a lot of factors come into play. While it is noticeable, it doesn't look severe, and it's possible that it could be easily repaired -- I wouldn't rule it out without further investigation.
Well if I have the option to have it totaled (maybe with a little pressure on insurance of course) or to have it repaired, I'd rather have it totaled. The truck was (and still is) for sale before the wreck. So I don't want to be stuck selling a truck that is potentially half the value of what it as originally. I mean would you buy a truck at full retail, or anywhere close to it if you say it had had frame damage in the past, regardless of whether it not it was "fixed" or not?


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368
AndeyHall is offline  
#24 Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Jefferson State
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks: 75
Thanked 145 Times in 128 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
^^ Perfectly understandable. I hope it works out for you.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
Splicer is online now  
#25 Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Wishin I was Fishin
 
Dark Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Where Ever I May Roam
Posts: 3,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Is this a body shop your insurance company sent you too? Or is it a shop from the insurer of the person who hit you? Also, as I have been sitting here thinking about it, make sure they just don't shim the bed...tell you its fixed and let you walk.
Dark Taco is offline  
#26 Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Do Work!
 
AndeyHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Taco View Post
Is this a body shop your insurance company sent you too? Or is it a shop from the insurer of the person who hit you? Also, as I have been sitting here thinking about it, make sure they just don't shim the bed...tell you its fixed and let you walk.
It's a shop my insurance sent me to. His insurance didn't have any "approved" shops within an hour away so they just told me to choose the body shop of my or my insurance's choosing. Happened to be that it was the same body shop.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368
AndeyHall is offline  
#27 Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Wishin I was Fishin
 
Dark Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Where Ever I May Roam
Posts: 3,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 21
Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
That's a good thing and hopefully only works in your favor.
Dark Taco is offline  
#28 Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Official TN Member
 
hickory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: batawa, ON
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
bent frame

Definitely feel for you, best of luck man. The frames on these trucks are nothing like the 250.

The snow is leaving, still a foot
Cooper AT3 work great
hickory is offline  
#29 Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
 
Zembonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 6,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 177
Thanked 787 Times in 632 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The level is meaningless without the truck on a frame machine and perfectly level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
Well I'm taking it back to the shop on Monday but I talked to a friend of mine that's an attorney and he said that if they determine the frame is warped then you can require that they total it. Because realigning a frame is never 100%.
Your friend is talking out of his ass. He's obviously a real collision repair expert.

Aligning a frame is no different than repairing anything else on a vehicle. For some reason people attach "Holy Grail" status to this particular piece of metal. The picture you posted doesn't indicate a "mangled frame". It simply needs to be looked at and corrected.



Last edited by Zembonez; 11-22-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Zembonez is offline  
#30 Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Do Work!
 
AndeyHall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
The level is meaningless without the truck on a frame machine and perfectly level.


Your friend is talking out of his ass. He's obviously a real collision repair expert.

Aligning a frame is no different than repairing anything else on a vehicle. For some reason people attach "Holy Grail" status to this particular piece of metal. The picture you posted doesn't indicate a "mangled frame". It simply needs to be looked at and corrected.
No it simply needs to be TOTALED! I'm not gonna be stuck trying to sell a truck with that big of a hit on the carfax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
For some reason people attach "Holy Grail" status to this particular piece of metal.
Which I think proves my point and contradicts yours...those people are referring to my potential buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Your friend is talking out of his ass. He's obviously a real collision repair expert.
This usually happens earlier in the thread...the 2nd know it all comes in and claims that the first guy is a know it all and is completely wrong. I must have missed you supplying your credentials that explained to us why you were any more of an expert than he is? And to be honest I don't think he was speaking from a mechanic's standpoint, but rather from an attorney's standpoint representing someone who is going to be stuck with a worthless vehicle because of some other jackass' negligence. And I realize it can happen to anyone including myself, but you can't expect the innocent party to eat the costs.

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368
AndeyHall is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome