Bed twisted? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Do Work!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Bed twisted?

I was rear ended about 2 weeks ago and finally got it back today. Everything looked great until tonight when I stopped to get gas. I parked at the pump and walked in to pay, and then as I'm coming back out, looking at the ass end of the truck, I notice that the tailgate looks like its cocked up at an angle really had when referencing it to the straight line of the front of the bed (the part right under the rear window). I took a picture but its not near as noticeable in the picture as it is in person. It looks horrible! Well the shop I got it from is very credible and very good, and I feel like if there were frame damage they would have checked and aside something. But then again, when I get under the truck and look, the bed bolts directly to the frame so there's no room for play it doesn't look like. And I considered it being the bed but I went back and looked at some of the pictures I took of the bed right after the wreck and they were that way too, and this is a completely different bed. So what are the odds of 2 beds being twisted?

If I can get a good picture of it I'll post it. But is there anyone that has an opinion on what it could be?

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
I went back and looked at some of the pictures I took of the bed right after the wreck and they were that way too, and this is a completely different bed. So what are the odds of 2 beds being twisted?
I would guess the odds are near zero.

Since the bed bolts to the frame, and it was twisted after the wreck, and still twisted with a new bed..... it seems as though the frame must be bent. Good body shop or not, they may have missed it.

When my truck's damaged rear bumper & braces were replaced by a "very good" body shop, they somehow failed to notice that the new bumper was sagging at an angle.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#3 Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 AM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the bed is twisted, the frame is needing alignment. It's common on rear end truck repairs for it to twist some and it's an easy fix on a frame machine typically.

Take it back and have them check it on a flat surface.

#4 Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Do Work!

(Thread Starter)
Ok well here's my issue there...the truck was for sale before the wreck ever happened. And from the research I've done, frame alterations/damage will devalue a truck TREMENDOUSLY! Is there any way to fight that with their insurance?

It's better to be thought of as stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235368
#5 Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Got Snow?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Thanked 1,066 Times in 841 Posts
Garage
Depends on your State laws. Some on here have gotten checks from insurance companies for devaluation. In Calif, the law doesn't allow getting compensated for the loss. You get hit by someone else and you pay for it thru loss of value.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
#6 Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Do Work!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Depends on your State laws. Some on here have gotten checks from insurance companies for devaluation. In Calif, the law doesn't allow getting compensated for the loss. You get hit by someone else and you pay for it thru loss of value.
Well I'm taking it back to the shop on Monday but I talked to a friend of mine that's an attorney and he said that if they determine the frame is warped then you can require that they total it. Because realigning a frame is never 100%.

#7 Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Wishin I was Fishin

If you can't get it totalled, remember insurance companies have attorneys too, and everything else works well. I would leave it as is.
#8 Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Do Work!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Taco View Post
If you can't get it totalled, remember insurance companies have attorneys too, and everything else works well. I would leave it as is.
Leave it as is?! Are you serious?! I asked and South Carolina has no law requiring insurance to compensate for lost value. So you're saying I should leave it as is, with a frame that's twisted to hell, probably gonna burn through tires about every year or leSs, and God knows what else. Not to mention the fact that it was worth around $19-20k, and now probably worth about $13-14, and no buyer is going to even consider it as obvious as the twist is. That's the stupidest thing I've heard yet!

#9 Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Before this thread gets as twisted as the bed....

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#10 Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Do Work!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
Before this thread gets as twisted as the bed....

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Wishin I was Fishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
Ok well here's my issue there...the truck was for sale before the wreck ever happened. And from the research I've done, frame alterations/damage will devalue a truck TREMENDOUSLY! Is there any way to fight that with their insurance?
Your words ^^^ My opinion if they won't total the truck (due to frame damage) and write you a check for the value then....... yes leave it alone and sell it. How is that the stupidest thing you have ever heard?

EDIT: After seeing that picture and assuming you don't have frame damage documented I would purchase a cheep tonneau cover to hide the slight twist I can see in the pic and trade it in.

Last edited by Dark Taco; 11-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.
#12 Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Do Work!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Your words ^^^ My opinion if they won't total the truck (due to frame damage) and write you a check for the value then....... yes leave it alone and sell it. How is that the stupidest thing you have ever heard?

EDIT: After seeing that picture and assuming you don't have frame damage documented I would purchase a cheep tonneau cover to hide the slight twist I can see in the pic and trade it in.
Well it's going to the shop on Monday and by the way the guy from the shop talked after looking at it yesterday, the frame is most definitely warped. So in my book (and most everyone else I've asked) tha'st totaled. So in the slight chance they determine that it isn't warped, yes I probably will just leave it alone. But your post made it sound like you were saying that you wouldn't even be pushing to get it totaled...

#13 Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Do Work!

(Thread Starter)
Front of the bed:

Back of the bed:

Driver side bed rail:

Passenger side bed rail:

Last edited by AndeyHall; 11-21-2012 at 11:10 AM.
#14 Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Wishin I was Fishin

Hey, I understand it's hard to decipher tone in an email/post. I'm right with you and feel for you. In my first post I started with "If you can't get it totalled", I was meaning try to get it totalled. But, If not leave it alone and trade it in for as much money as you can. I'm glad your okay after the accident. BTW What year is your truck..06??

Last edited by Dark Taco; 11-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.
#15 Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Do Work!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hey, I understand it's hard to decipher tone in an email/post. I'm right with you and feel for you. In my first post I started with "If you can't get it totalled", I was meaning try to get it totalled. But, If not leave it alone and trade it in for as much money as you can. I'm glad your okay after the accident. BTW What year is your truck..06??
It's an 07. It may say 06 in my sig because I had an 06 TRD Off Road 4x4 exactly like the 07 I have now, except my 07 is 2wd. But I sold my 06 to get a 6.0 Powerstroke 250, had my fun with it for a couple years, but then wanted my Tacoma back. So I got this one for a screaming good deal from a friend of a friend and settled for a 2wd because it was so cheap. But then decided if rather have a 4wd. I figured hell, I'm going in debt either way, might as well get what I want! Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)