08 driveshaft problems - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View alpinebob's Photo Gallery
08 driveshaft problems

I have a 2008 double cab v6 auto with 86K Mi. I am starting to get a "hum"/vibration at 47-50 mph and again at 65-70 mph. It is present under load or coasting even in neutral, 2wd and 4wd. I can feel it in the steering wheel. After lubeing the u joints with no effect , I took it into Toyota, they say it is the drive shaft and the replacement will cost $1400 !!! mostly parts ? I am not sold on rrplacing the drive shaft but I do understand possibly new u joints and center bearing.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alpinebob
alpinebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dave's

Gameroom cash: $292550
View Dave's's Photo Gallery
I'd take it to a drive train specialty shop. Been a while since I needed serious drive-shaft work but $1,400 sounds very high to me. Unless it got bent or has somehow become badly rusted I can't imagine the need to replace the shaft itself.
Dave's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cressida nut

Gameroom cash: $608995
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
View kamesama980's Photo Gallery
You'll probably get better responses if you post in the right forum. Your 08 Taco doesn't have much of anything in common with a Cressida other than the Toyota logo. Fixed dat
'90 Cressida, 7M-GE, M5
'91 Toyota Pickup, 22R-E, M5, 2wd
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Got Snow?

Gameroom cash: $1355700
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
View 05Moose's Photo Gallery
08 driveshaft problems

Welcome to TN Bob. Did this all start when you got your new tires a couple of weeks ago? And out of curiosity, you said you got Michelin LTX tires...was it the M/S2 or AT2? (I read and responded to your post in the front diff vibe thread on TW if you're wondering)

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
05Moose is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $309065
View needamog's Photo Gallery
If the driveshaft is in fact the source and the dealership quoted only full replacement, you need to find a different place to get your truck serviced. The center support bearing and ujoints are serviceable parts. One way to confirm the source would be to remove the driveshaft and drive it with 4wd selected, see if the issue is still there. If you can feel it in the steering wheel, you may have a frt wheel bearing issue.
1981 Unimog 416Doka
needamog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
20' Daredevil (Retired)

Gameroom cash: $899832
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View Splicer's Photo Gallery
All good advice above. A tire problem is typically described as a shake, shimmy, or shudder. Your hum/vibration sounds more like a driveline problem, usually a bad u-joint or carrier bearing as you stated. The dealership is taking the easy (and much more expensive) way out in wanting to replace the driveshaft. They don't deserve your business.

If you can, take it to an independent shop and put it on the lift with someone in the driver's seat. Have them start it, put it in gear, and slowly accelerate. Watch all the u-joints and the carrier bearing for any vibration.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $495862
View RTFM's Photo Gallery
Could also be front wheel bearings going out. My truck made a hum each time they failed, but it wasn't speed dependent. could definitely feel it in the steering wheel though, got worse turning one way or the other, but not both ways.
06 DC LB, 4x4, Speedway , TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL 6CD w/ Grom to IPod, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Hood Struts, Scangauge, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Toyo Open Country AT tires
RTFM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
2012 Stanley Cup Champs

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View zmtnbik's Photo Gallery
A brand new Tom Wood's drive shaft was $450, and ellinamted the carrier bearing (which was the cause of many of the vibrations guy experienced after lifting).

You can always replace the carrier bearing, < $41 at Rock Auto, and will take you all of about 20 mins to replace, power tools about 5.
2006 4x4 Access, V6, 6spd, TRD Off-Road, tow pkg. Donahoe Co's, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, 5125's in the back and u-bolt flip kit. TRD exhaust, CAI. URD MAF calibrator. 17x9's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2. Locker-mod, fog mod and console vault.
zmtnbik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Taco'09's Photo Gallery
Its been my experience that stealerships have a dismal record identifying any kind of vibration, rattle, or humming. All of the responses above are good. I would not throw that kind of money at it with no assurances.

I just had my rear u-joints replaced at a shop that specializes in drive shaft work. I sourced the OE Dana-Spicer u-joints, removed the eight bolts and took the drive shaft to them. I have the 1-piece shaft. Approx. $25 each end including labor to do this. I think with the tip it was a whopping $60.

And if you are just marginally ok doing your own work, I have also sourced the OE Dana-Spicer slip-yoke boot kits that include those neat OE Oetiker boot clamps for your pleasure. A big $15 ea. +sh. You can do the Ford clunking drive shaft TSB thing and repack the slip joints.

Good luck.
Taco'09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $165200
Lifetime Supreme Member
View sharkinstx's Photo Gallery
I vote for the independent shop route. On my last truck ('95 F-150 SuperCab), the original u-joints (no zerks) went bad at 80k miles. I pulled the whole assembly (two shafts plus center support bearing) and carried it to a local drivetrain shop. They replaced all three u-joints with new ones that included zerks, and dynamically re-balanced the assembly (tack welding washers in the right places to balance) for around $120. The center support bearing was fine, and lasted as long as I owned it (214k miles).

'08 Sienna LE FWD
'13 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Double Cab Long Bed Texas Edition 4x2
sharkinstx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)