Toyota Nation Forum banner

05 Tacoma V6 vs. I4

8K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Gunrunner 
#1 ·
Hye, guys. My name is Paul. I am in the market for 05 Tacoma. For the past week I've been reading all over the diferent forums (At least 6 of them) about these new Tacoma's. I've driven 05 4x2 PreRunner V6 6 speed with TRD-Off Road, 4x2 I4 5 Speed with SR5 and Base Auto.

Now I really like V6 and shifter. Gears seems to go in smoother, Clutch is easier, lest engine noise.

Then I4 5 speed was my second choise cause clutch was harder. Now funny thing is that I was wearing same shoes, but my foot got stuck couple times in I4 clutch pedal. (6 speed didn't have the same problem. My guess fell for diferent seats: V6 had sport seats there). While switching gears I kept on hitting handrest between seats.

Well here comes my main question.
My big concern is gas mileage and this was the main reason I sold my BMW (got tired to put $45-55 of gas every week). No my daily commute is consist of 17 miles from house to work place, where 13 miles are on Hwy. I would like to hear from you, guys, what would be better for me to get.

I am not going be doing some crazy cracking bed off-roading :lol:; may be get out to mountains once of twice a year and get to the beach couple times.

I've read that quiet some people had problems towing stuff with 4cyl engine. I am looking into getting boad in future and I don't want to bite my elbows later for not getting bigger engine or the oposite.

Also I'd like to add that I won't be getting big tires (No need for me).

What would be best combination of wheels and tires to get better mileage?

Another thing I've heard that putting down tailgate or covering the bed provides you with better gas mileage. Is it true?

Thanks
Paul

See less See more
#3 ·
I really like the V6 it seems to tow what I need it to with ease. But all I pull is utility trailer with toolbox on front, four wheeler, and all my riding gear. Mileage has been around 18 and most of my driving is highway to work and back home. Of the 21 gal tank it has I normally fill up shortly after the gas light comes on, it holds about 18 gal at that point and I'll have about 330-345 miles on that. Ive used different grades of gas and my mileage and performance seem about the same.

#4 · (Edited)
Well I would only go v-6 if you can afford it. I tow about 3500 pounds of shit on my trailer and my 4.0 yanks it all over the road. And if your gonna do that kinda of stuff you might wanna just get the TRD package just for the better tires that come on it. The sport package looks hot as hell but the tires on the TRD are a little better for the kind of stuff you wanna do. As far as gas milage goes I'm getting about the same you camry. The stock BF's on the TRD would be perfect for you Paul,

#5 ·
hey, thanks.
Happy New Year.

I am now more set for V6 68% vs. 32% for I4. Also Those 68% made me look at X-Runner and I really like it now. All that I am missing now is to test drive it. But unfortunately none of dealerships around have any, so I would have to check some that are some 40 miles avay :ugh3: .

But we'll see...

Thanks again.

#6 ·
Well, here's my experience: v6 /w 5spd Auto:: The 4cyl is always going to get you better millage, but the v6 is more fun. I have a pretty heavy foot in the city, and I never have it in overdrive unless I'm on the freeway, or happen to be going faster than 55 or 60. So far I've been averaging 14-19 mpg for the 2300 miles I've had the truck, depending on how much city driving vs. hwy driving I'm doing. It's costing around $40-$45 to fill up, and I am using the premium. But I do enjoy it, and I wouldn't be able to give up the 4.0 engine after having it.

#9 ·
cam2Xrunner said:
That's not fair. :lol: Whats the curb weight on your truck?
I think Toyota's published weight includes a full tank of gas and a 150 lb. driver. It is 3935.
Shipping weight was 36-something. Air is the only option, just as I wanted! And it is white!
I have my tires at 35 psi all around, which is reasonable. I'm running Mobil 1 15W-50.

#12 ·
Heeltoe914 said:
I think the i4 is a great motor I tow a car trialer and have no problem going up hills and 60-70 mph down the hwy. Its really a matter of your needs I drive sometimes 200 mile per day so mpg are inportant to me. I would post my truck towing but How do you post pic here????
www.photobucket.com

register, upload, copy tags it gives you and paste them in a post.

Oh, and holy thread revival

#14 ·
As far as the tailgate down theory to get you better mileage goes, I've personally found it to not be true.

Yes the I4 will be easier on gas, but once you do the math of how much money it is truely saving you in fuel cost, it just isn't worth missing out on the pleasure of the 4.0L. Believe me, I owned a 2002 Tacoma 4WD with the 4-cylinder and regretted not getting the V6 almost daily. (Especially when Dodge Caravans would out-accelerate me going up hills.) I traded it off for an 07 with the V6, and I've never been happier.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm averaging 18 - 19mpg as well on my XR. Best mileage i've recorded is 19.9. I drive about 2 miles in the city and about 24 on the highway to work. Now that I have my Scangauge II installed I'm going to see if there is any way of getting better MPG. I spend about 43 - 46 dollars a week to fill it up with 89 octane.

#18 ·
tim.powerbook said:
yeah, i have the I4 prerunner. i can get great mileage when i drive like grandma, but when i drive fast it gets barely better then the V6 (but i guess if i drive fast in the V6, then it'd get bad mileage too)

my best is like 27.8 mpg
can you drive fast with the I4....:confused::D:heart:

Im not good at accelerating slow, so I get about 18/19 in the summer.

#20 ·
101? mine limits at 98?.. do you feel that the 4 cylinder is really weak before 20mph? cause i think its fine once it reaches 20 but anything before that its slower than anything on the road, it can't even squeal the tires... I would have choosen the v6, but i didn't have that luxery...

#21 ·
DrifterFreak210 said:
101? mine limits at 98?.. do you feel that the 4 cylinder is really weak before 20mph? cause i think its fine once it reaches 20 but anything before that its slower than anything on the road, it can't even squeal the tires... I would have choosen the v6, but i didn't have that luxery...
wtf.. 98,101?

my 07 base model will go an indicated 110mph, which i'm guessing is closer to 106mph.

you're talking about it being slow off the line... you must have an automatic. I think the off the line power of the big 4 banger is one of it's best attributes, you just have to rev it a little bit.

#22 ·
DONT buy the I4 prerunner/4x4 for the gas milage. Trust me. I have been there done that. I traded in my 2005 4x4 I4 last year and never looked back. I now own the V6 and it kicks the I4's ass all day. I get maybe 1-3 mpg worse with the V6 :lol: Yep thats all

#24 · (Edited)
lotust I disagree- I average 22+ in my 05 I4 and thats with a good dose of high RPMs and some off roading.

50/50 highway to city. 265 and fat tires

If/when I take it easy I can get 24+

I would like to vouch for the 4 banger being fully capable of doing most things asked of old v6's - most of my friends are suprised when I tell them its a 4, and they know a good amount about cars.

tim.powerbook sure you can. even though mine only maxes at 101 mph. the acceleration is better than my old 2003 Nissan Xterra V-6. i read somewhere that the I4 goes 0-60 in under 9 seconds
thats probly the 2wd but damn- thats on par with some sporty vehicles of much smaller proportions.

I cant say enough good about the 4-cyl

Heeltoe914 post that PICTURE

#25 ·
The only reason I see fit for buying an I4 is a cheaper sticker price and easier on gas. Other then that their is almost no other reason to buy the I4.

The V6 is just a great engine. Plenty of power, mileage depends on how crazy you drive. More pulling power. Sounds better. Looks better under the hood. And its just bigger.

#26 · (Edited)
bkirchner81 said:
lotust I disagree- I average 22+ in my 05 I4 and thats with a good dose of high RPMs and some off roading.

50/50 highway to city. 265 and fat tires

If/when I take it easy I can get 24+

I would like to vouch for the 4 banger being fully capable of doing most things asked of old v6's - most of my friends are suprised when I tell them its a 4, and they know a good amount about cars.

I get 22mpg hwy in my 06 access cab v6 4x4 also. :clap: city I get 17-19 depending. It not a huge night and day difference in my book. The 4cyl access cab 4x4 has to be very under powered. My reg cab was good untill I went off roading in some soft sand. I was also aired down. That was the only time I really was disapointed with the 4cyl I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.