How much to lift the tacoma? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-07-2005, 07:09 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How much to lift the tacoma?

Generally, how much does it cost to lift the truck? I know it depends on many things.. but generally, is it in $thousands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 PM
NJ Redneck

Between $1000 - $2000 generally. There are cheaper ways, but they usually aren't too good. New coil overs go for about $800 or more. Rear springs up to $800... You can get a million prices on a million combinations, but thats a general price range.

Here is an awesome write up from CustomTacos about lift kits, check it out:

http://www.CustomTacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=137&c=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky
All my stuff is just for looks.
2005 DOUBLE CAB - TRD OFFROAD
#3 Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 AM
CARDS RULE

It also depends on if your married or not, if you are than it will depend on how much ball and chain... I mean your lovely wife will let you spend!!

Silver Double Cab, 4x4, TRD Sport
K&N/AEM Hybrid Intake
Magnaflow Exhaust
Split Second PSC1
#4 Old 07-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi
Between $1000 - $2000 generally. There are cheaper ways, but they usually aren't too good. New coil overs go for about $800 or more. Rear springs up to $800... You can get a million prices on a million combinations, but thats a general price range.

Here is an awesome write up from CustomTacos about lift kits, check it out:

http://www.CustomTacos.com/tech/inde...v2&id=137&c=10
$800 for springs?!?! I paid $600 for 62" Deaver race springs, which are longer and offer more travel than just a bolt on spring. Expect to pay up to $550 on rear springs.

Anyways, yes, the price can vary GREATLY depending on which products you buy and what you're going for. Here is a good break down for lifts
Complete spacer lift (cheapest route) with blocks/shackles/AAL for rear and cheapest shocks- ~$280. Good for 3" of lift, will not enhance performance in any way, but will look cool.
New coilovers- Great bolt in way to enhance the performance of your suspension. Ranges from $700-950, good for up to 3" of lift (I would NEVER lift coilovers higher than 2.5" simply because the higher you raise them, the more you kill their performance)
Rear springs- up to $550 for bolt in Deaver springs. The best option for a bolt in lift spring which enhances performance. Lifts about 1.5" in the rear, a good choice for a 2.5-3" lift in the front
New tires- price can vary greatly depending on what you choose.

If all you want to do is lift your truck a few inches to make it look cooler, then get a complete spacer kit from www.toyteclifts.com I'd recommend getting shackles if you have a 95-04 and AAL for an '05. I'd avoid blocks. Also, if you don't mind spending some extra $$$, get Bilstein 5100 shocks instead of the crappy Pro-Comp or Rancho shocks or whatever they come with. You'd have your entire lift setup for under $400 easily, and its all quality components, it just won't make the suspension any better than it is (performance-wise).

Then pick up some 32" BFG AT KO or Yokohama Geolander ATII tires and you will have a nice truck and it shouldn't cost you more than $1000 for the complete lift and tires.

If you want to enhance the performance of your suspension then definitely plan to spend up to $2,000 for coilovers, springs, and quality shocks. That's really nothing compared to what you could spend, though. I have thousands invested in the suspenion for my '86 Toyota pickup with custom long travel arms, coilovers, triple bypass rear shocks, 62" race springs, air bumps, etc. Just an example on how expensive all this can get, but this stuff isn't really intended to lift my truck, its all for performance.
#5 Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 AM
NJ Redneck

I said "up to" $800. I can show you plenty of spring packs that go for that price. You're saying up to $550 but you payed $600? Basically my prices were based on performance lift kits. Not spacers, or blocks or AAL. I'm just basing it on what I consider a good lift job. Dont mean to argue with you, but there is no way your going to lift your truck (safely) AND add BFGs or Yoko's for $1000. BFG ATs go for about $150 - $180 alone.

You definitely sound like you know what you're talking about, but I think $1000 is on the conservative side. Thats why I would say more like between $1000 and $2000. Plus, you cant assume someone knows how to do all the installs. Labor will jack that price up too. But what ever... its just splitting hairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky
All my stuff is just for looks.
2005 DOUBLE CAB - TRD OFFROAD
#6 Old 07-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi
I said "up to" $800. I can show you plenty of spring packs that go for that price. You're saying up to $550 but you payed $600? Basically my prices were based on performance lift kits. Not spacers, or blocks or AAL. I'm just basing it on what I consider a good lift job. Dont mean to argue with you, but there is no way your going to lift your truck (safely) AND add BFGs or Yoko's for $1000. BFG ATs go for about $150 - $180 alone.
I know I said I paid $600, but they aren't for bolt in lift springs. They are full race springs, 62" long from eyelet to eyelet. They provide up to 20" of rear wheel travel. I only mentioned my springs as a comparison, I've just never seen a bolt in spring cost $800. I wasn't trying to argue, sorry if thats how I sounded.

Also, coilovers, Deavers, and expensive shocks are really nice (I know, I owned King and Camburg coilovers, Deavers, shackles, and 5100s on my 03 DCab) but they aren't for everyone. For those that don't have the budget or the the need for a performance suspension, there is nothing wrong with going the spacers/shackles route. In fact, I'm going to lift my brother's '05 DCab with Toytec spacers and AAL. A Toytec lift can be had for under $300, and I've seen Yoko's sell for a little over $100 each, so I don't think my estimation was overambitious. It is stretching it pretty thin, and it is assuming one is doing their own labor, but it can be done. I was just trying to let the guy know that he has many, many options to choose from when selecting a lift.

But again, I wasn't trying to argue or anything, I was just shocked because I've never seen springs sell for so much, unless they were custom, in which case that would make sense. Hope I didn't strike a nerve. Sorry if I came off like an ass.
#7 Old 07-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpagel
In fact, I'm going to lift my brother's '05 DCab with Toytec spacers and AAL.
Are you installing this equipment yourself? I'm guessing you are talking about the Pro Basic kit here? http://www.toyteclifts.com/Basic05.html

Is this something the average D-I-Y person can install at home, or do you need special tools to install?

Edit: I also meant to ask about the kits that include the parts for Diff Drop. Can anyone explain the purpose of this?

Last edited by AfterShock; 07-08-2005 at 04:43 PM.
#8 Old 07-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
Are you installing this equipment yourself? I'm guessing you are talking about the Pro Basic kit here? http://www.toyteclifts.com/Basic05.html

Is this something the average D-I-Y person can install at home, or do you need special tools to install?

Edit: I also meant to ask about the kits that include the parts for Diff Drop. Can anyone explain the purpose of this?
A spacer lift can be installed if you have basic hand tools, jack and stands, and just a little mechanical knowledge. The only special tool that you probably don't have is a spring compressor but they can be rented from AutoZone or purchased at many stores (just do NOT buy them from Harbor Freight, they are worse than garbage and can lead to serious injury). Air, electric or cordless tools will help out immensly when you using the spring compressor. There are many writeups on installing spacer lifts around the net, so it really isn't a huge deal.
#9 Old 07-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Speed Junkie

thanks for the info, and I did find this information how differential drops on the net...

Quote:
On the Toyota Tacomas (1995.5 and later) and the 4Runners (1996 and later), with suspension lifts over 2", the front CV axles operate at too great an angle which increases wear and tear and can cause them to break under off-road conditions. One simple cure for this problem is to lower the differential on the front axle to reduce the angle on the CVs. So with a 1" diff drop on a 3" lifted truck, it returns the CV angles to that of a more mild 2" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)