Trailer Wiring Harness Missing? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
NH05TACOMA

View NH05TACOMA's Photo Gallery
Trailer Wiring Harness Missing?

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else? The manual for my 05 Tacoma states that there is a trailer wiring harness( standard 4 prong I assume like all truck mfg's stick back there )tucked up underneath in the back if it didn't come with the trailer tow package. Well, I have looked as have the sales lady, a tech, and the service manager and it is NOT there. Has anyone else found this missing? What a PITA this will be having to splice in to wire up for towing. I knew I should have bought the Black Tacoma with the trailer tow package
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ditchin's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH05TACOMA
Just curious if this has happened to anyone else? The manual for my 05 Tacoma states that there is a trailer wiring harness( standard 4 prong I assume like all truck mfg's stick back there )tucked up underneath in the back if it didn't come with the trailer tow package. Well, I have looked as have the sales lady, a tech, and the service manager and it is NOT there. Has anyone else found this missing? What a PITA this will be having to splice in to wire up for towing. I knew I should have bought the Black Tacoma with the trailer tow package
If you don't want to splice I believe Autozone sells the wire kit that actually plugs into everything securely. Maybe it was drawtite brand. I installed one on another truck I had and it worked like a champ.
ditchin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Row Dialin'

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View boone's Photo Gallery
Here is an old thread on the same topic.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t87971.html
boone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
NH05TACOMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone88rr
Here is an old thread on the same topic.

Thanks for the link but that is actually for the brake controller harness up under the dash. The manual states all 05 Tacoma come with either the socket( the housing under your bumper by the hitch you plug into if you got the tow package )or their is supposed to be a 4 prong tucked up underneath in back. My truck does not have the 4 prong back there as it should.

I know I can get a harness aftermarket but didn't want to pay for something that should already be there. I just need to hook up my boat trailer lights. Don't need a controller.

Thanks however for the replies.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pb
Surfing TN via iPhone

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
View Pb's Photo Gallery
I had the same thing happen. Both the brake controller harness and the 7 to 4 pin adapter were not included with my truck. I had to mention it to the dealer, and he got them for me.

If your truck has the towing package it should come with both of those items.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
NH05TACOMA

No towing package BUT the manual states ALL Tacomas at least come with the 4 prong tucked underneath. Mine has nadda
Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Old TN User

View Angus_NB's Photo Gallery
Quote:
No towing package BUT the manual states ALL Tacomas at least come with the 4 prong tucked underneath. Mine has nadda
I read that in the manual too. I checked and mine doesn't have it either.

Previous truck...

2005 Tacoma SR5 DC 4x4
Angus_NB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
NH05TACOMA

I am going to try and get the dealer to put something in based on the manual wording. If I can't get them to then I will have to buy a harness. Drawtite offers one for around $40. Only issue is every aftermarket one I have seen has those converters because of the tail light setup. I know you need them but they are always trouble. Would rather have the dealer installed one so that if there is ever an issue THEY can fix it.

Last edited by NH05TACOMA; 08-21-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View remelad's Photo Gallery
Quote:
The '05 Tacomas only had the wiring harness IF the truck had the towing package with hitch. Mine did not have it so I bought the harness kit from Toyota for $70. It is all OEM parts and was easy as pie to install.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
NH05TACOMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by remelad
The '05 Tacomas only had the wiring harness IF the truck had the towing package with hitch. Mine did not have it so I bought the harness kit from Toyota for $70. It is all OEM parts and was easy as pie to install.
That may be the case, however, it is not how the wording in the manual states it.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View IndigoTaco05's Photo Gallery
I
Quote:
had the same thing happen. Both the brake controller harness and the 7 to 4 pin adapter were not included with my truck. I had to mention it to the dealer, and he got them for me.

If your truck has the towing package it should come with both of those items.
Hey Guys,
PB, are you saying that every truck with the factory tow pack should or did come with the 7 to 4 pin connector and the trailer brake plug.
I have seen neither in my truck with the tow package.
If something is missing, I would like to contact my dealer and request that I get them. Where is the brake controller located under the dash?

Just curious
Thanks
IndigoTaco05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View remelad's Photo Gallery
Quote:
That may be the case, however, it is not how the wording in the manual states it.
I have to agree with you, the manual does state it!!! Had I known that 6 months ago, I would have fought the issue!! Good luck!!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pb
Surfing TN via iPhone

Lifetime Supreme Member
View Pb's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoTaco05
I
Hey Guys,
PB, are you saying that every truck with the factory tow pack should or did come with the 7 to 4 pin connector and the trailer brake plug.
I have seen neither in my truck with the tow package.
If something is missing, I would like to contact my dealer and request that I get them. Where is the brake controller located under the dash?
My dealer told me that the extended cabs didn't come with the harness and 4 pin connector, but the Double Cabs do. This doesn't sound right to me, but talk to your dealer and tell them to give you one anyway. I think that it might be listed on the window sticker when you buy the truck. If it is, show that to the dealer.

The harness wires up to whatever brake controller you buy. Then you plug the harness into a plug that is hidden under the dash. This makes it so that you don't have to manually tap into all of the brake lights and stuff. It's pretty nice.

I can't find a part # for the harness. It's just called a Trailer Brake Jumper Harness.

Check this thread.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
NH05TACOMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by remelad
I have to agree with you, the manual does state it!!! Had I known that 6 months ago, I would have fought the issue!! Good luck!!
Stopped in to the dealer today to find out what is up as it has been days since they were supposed to get back to me. NO contact back from the Toyota rep yet. The Service Manager is going to try and get Toyota to pay for a harness for me. He looked at the manual and agrees with me. Even if it only applies to tow package vehicles it does not say that. Out of curiosity we looked at a few other Tacomas on the lot like mine and some had the 4 prong and some didn't. What a joke!

Last edited by NH05TACOMA; 08-23-2005 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pb
Surfing TN via iPhone

Lifetime Supreme Member
View Pb's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Stopped in to the dealer today to find out what is up as it has bee days since they were supposed to get back to me. NO contact back from the Toyota rep yet. The Service Manager is going to try and get Toyota to pay for a harness for me. He looked at the manual and agrees with me. Even if it only applies to tow package vehicles it does not say that. Out of curiosity we looked at a few other Tacomas on the lot like mine and some had the 4 prong and some didn't. What a joke!
The dealer should have grabed the adapter and harness out of those trucks, given them to you, and let the dealership find new ones later to replace 'em. That's what my dealer did. Do whatever you gotta do to please the customer. That's what I say.

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)