Toyota Nation Forum banner

05-11 Leaf Spring Recall (14V604)

30K views 111 replies 43 participants last post by  Memphis 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when the fix will be released for this recall? The recall has been open for almost 1 year now without a remedy. What the heck...

#17 ·
This is not a case where they replace them only if they're broken. It's a recall where they're making some sort of new parts. The recall is because there's a risk of them breaking and puncturing the fuel tank. That means they'll be doing "something" to all of them with factory leaf springs.

#18 · (Edited)
Looks like Toyota is finally ready to start rolling out a remedy for the leaf spring recall. They will be implementing the fix in 11 different phases based on geographical location of where the vehicle was registered. Currently vehicles registered in MA, ME, NH, RI, VT are receiving remedy letters!

Fix is new leaf springs. States repairs should take two hours and may require an appointment for service.

#21 ·
What if I had the frame replaced about a year and a half ago? They did put new springs on then. Does this mean they will be replacing these again?
@redbulll - There is speculation that the new springs were installed when frames were replaced, but I would reach out to your dealership or Toyota Corp to find out for sure. You may have just received the TSB 4- leaf packs that were being installed and may still need the new recall springs installed. No part numbers have surfaced yet on the new springs or you could compare them to the paperwork you received from your dealership when you had the frame replacement done. Bottom line, I would contact Toyota to see if you still qualify for the recall.

#23 ·
ugh.....I was just about to order dakar on Monday....now I wonder if I should just wait and request a 4leaf with the recall. WTF Toyota get this fixed....give out some solid information.......I've been waiting on you to remedy my tired wimpy rear suspension. Would be nice to save the 500 bucks on dakars!

#24 ·
Spring recall

Well my dealership just took my truck from me because of frame damage and the service adviser stated they would also replace rear springs. I am in Jersey so I guess we were next for springs.Also the frame replacement ends on March 31, so don't delay bringing in your vehicle. They are saying it takes 3 months to get a frame.

#27 ·
its been 2 years now. I called Toyota dealer and they said they had the fix and would take only one day. But they lied, they only repaired other recalls. I'm looking to get Old Man Emu leaf springs. On the original recall notice it did have a site for rebates if you get after market replacements. Now I cannot find that on the website. I need a fix because I tow a boat and use the bed to carry thing daily. Any idea how to get reimbursed?

#28 ·
Reimburse for leak springs

I called the dealer thinking they had a fix for the leaf springs, but all they did was fix the other 3 recalls. I really want Old Man Emu leaf springs anyways. There was statement on the original recall letter about being reimbursed for aftermarket springs, but I cannot find that info. Can anyone help?

#33 ·
I had the recall done to my 2009 TRD Tacoma Access Cab two weeks ago. At first I was told that the dealer would inspect and replace only the parts if needed. Then I called Toyota, and was told that the springs would be replaced, no if. I got the truck back after a day in the shop, and can see that it has new springs. The truck has 65K miles, and I don't drive my truck often in the winter, so I had no issues with squeaks or rattles.

I was mildly annoyed that the dealer also wanted to sell me the cabin and engine air filters, and a parking light for $175... I stopped at the local auto parts place and bought all the parts for $52, and complete the removal and replacement in under 20 minutes.

Other than that, I'm good!

#34 · (Edited)
Well, I got my notice in the mail yesterday. Since I already replaced the springs at my cost, I sent the paper work back with a copy of my registration for Proof of Ownership and a copy of the invoice for the springs. I have no work order, since I self diagnosed the problem and paid a retired Toyota Service Technician to put the springs on.
So, now I get to wait and see if they will honor what I've done and pay me for it.

Update: 5-4-16. I got a confirmation email from Toyota that they had received my claim for reimbursement, and were evaluating it. Process could take up to 45 days.

#35 ·
'Nother update:

Well, I got another letter from Toyota yesterday. They want a written statement from the shop that did the work, providing a diagnosis of what the problem was.
How does one provide a "written statement from the shop" when one self diagnosed the problem, and then did the work themselves. They even wanted the part number, which I had already included with the invoice I had sent.
So, I sent them another copy of the spring invoice, as well as a written statement from myself pointing out that I had self diagnosed the issue of completely flat springs, that bottomed out with no load on every bump in the road. As well as being able to push the bed down, by hand, and bottom out the truck with no load in the truck. Plus, I paid an Toyota service man to install them. So, I have no proof of anything from any shop.
But, I did reference the part number in the body of the letter, as well as making a comment that I went with after market springs, because I didn't want to replace bad Toyota springs with more Toyota springs that were likely to go bad after a short period of time.
I have a feeling I'm going to get screwed on this deal. Oh well, when I bought and replaced the springs, I didn't expect to get reimbursed anyway.

#36 ·
Got a FB message from my friend (Service Adviser) at my local dealership here in Calif. He said they're starting to ship the springs to dealerships here. He's got a set on order with my name on them.

#37 ·
Same here. Ran my VIN more than week ago and it said "Remedy Available." Called my local dealership and they ordered them over the phone and said they were taking about 2 weeks to get there from Toyota and would call when they were there to schedule an appt. So, I expect next week sometime I will be taking mine in for the replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.