Tacoma Tranny Issue - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Tacoma Tranny Issue

One problem for the experts on the Tacoma A750E Transmission that I hope some one can help me with. Here it is: I have an automatic 2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner.

The symptoms: Transmission does not go into overdrive. At 60 MPH the RPM is 2500 and as I accelerate over 60 MPH, the RPM goes up accordingly, however, I do not take the truck over 3000 RPM and only for a very short time and only when really needed. Normally before the problem, at 60 MPH, the truck would run at about 1800 RPM or so. Check engine light comes on and when reset, as the truck reaches about 60 MPH it comes back on again.

So when I scan the truck and read the codes, I get 2 codes P0711 and at times P0713. I can reset, but check engine light will return when truck goes above 60 MPH. I erased the codes and reset the check engine light and took the truck to the local Toyota dealer thinking that the transmission oil level might be low causing the fluid to be hot. The transmission oil was changed with no problems. However the check engine light came back on a few days latter. I then checked the transmission oil level myself by putting the transmission in TEMP CHECK MODE (jumping terminals between CG (4) and TC (13) of the DLC3, moving the shift lever back and forth between N and D every 1.5 seconds for six seconds, etc), opening the service plug on the tranny and putting a little Toyota WS fluid, starting truck (park) and then opening the overfill plug on the bottom of the tranny. A little fluid drained out and when it stopped I re-installed the overfill plug. So the level is at the right level and has new WS fluid.

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be bringing on the P0711/P0713 codes and causing the transmission not to go into 5th gear (overdrive)? Do I have two different issues here or is everything related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 09:02 AM
TexasJiminSTX

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Whatever you do, don't Google "tranny"!

TexasJim
BamZipPow and KregW like this.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM
cj1
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Some general tests, don't have specifics.

If not done already locate temp sensor/circuit. Disconnect sensor from ECM, measure sensor resistance/compare to spec.
If sensor good verify circuit/ref voltage from ECM to sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Some most likely scenarios

711: Trans temp sensor bad, reading below 20C (68F) after warmup of 10km & 22 mins. One of Toyota's intelligent testers can read the various components and diagnose. should be 80C after warmup. Open circuit shows -40, short shows 150.

For you the vehicle owner, reading the resistance between the temp transmitter and ground should be easier. Looks like the wire between the ECM and the trans should be Yellow / black, goes into terminal 10A on the Trans solenoid bank.

713: Open circuit on the AT sensor input, more that 156kohms for 0.5 seconds after 15 mins of running.

The trans solenoid side connector is a 15 pin, 8 on top, 7 on bottom. One is top right, 8 is top left, 9 is lower right, 15 is lower left.

Measuring between pins 2 and 10 should get between 79Ohms-156kOhms in standard mode.

Either pin to ground should get over 10k Ohms.

At 20C should get 3-4 ohms
At 110C 0.22 - 0.28kOhms

If it passes at the trans end, you gotta go to the ECM end, and I don't have time to go there right now. Check back, let us know what you find.

06 DC LB 4x4 Speedway, TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL w/ Grom to IPod / Aux / BT, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Michelin LTX MS2 tires
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RTFM For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (04-08-2017), ce1sierra (01-26-2017)
post #5 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Got it!!! Would have never guessed
post #6 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but not much of a car mechanic so I guess I better take the truck the Toyota dealer so they can tell me exactly what is wrong. My problem is getting parts at a reasonable cost. I'm retired in Costa Rica and everything has to be imported. Labor is cheaper, but they get you on the parts (almost triple). I'll let you guys know what happens in a couple of weeks. THANKS.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Lady in Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
When my truck had those symptoms (but with a different code 0328) it turned out something had eaten through my electrical harnesss. It was intermittent at first (like are you SURE you are in 4D, not just 4?), then got worse to the point where it was almost constant. Didn't notice it on city streets but on the highway was obvious. Unfortunately it cost $1600 for new wires!

Edit: I was trying to find the thread I had on my issue but for some reason I am FORBIDDEN from searching Maybe a glitch. If I can search later I'll link it for you.

Edit 2: Found it the old fashioned way, one page at a time!
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...dii-p0328.html
BamZipPow likes this.

Radiant Red
06 Prerunner Access Cab V6 auto TRD Sport w/tow pkg and OEM SS tube steps, Michelin LTX MS2 tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282285

Last edited by elwinna; 01-26-2017 at 04:33 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks elwinna,

Yes, I am sure I am in 4D as on the highway going about 60 MPH, and when I down shift from "D" to 4, I don't notice any downshift on the transmission (I.e. no change in RPM, no physical feel, no audio, etc.). I do drive daily on very rocky and steep incline roads and very often one hears the rocks hitting the bottom of the truck. I have taken a look underneath for loose wires, broken, etc. and can't see any, but if a rock hit a connector and cracked, it may be hard to see. If your repair cost you $1,600 I am afraid to think what the parts would cost here.

One question, what harm can I do if I drive the truck at 60 MPH or below in its current condition? I know for certain the fluid level is good and new. The truck runs at normal temperature (no overheating or even anything I would consider running a little hot) and for this reason, I think the problem is more electrical than mechanical. The longest stretch of road here in Costa Rica where one can go 60 MPH is a stretch that is only about 30 miles long and I don't do this very often. Most highway speeds are 50 MPH and where I live a normal driving speed is about 45 MPH if not less due to the crazy drivers, cows on the road, curves, hills, and other obstacles. I made an appointment at the only Toyota dealer for 10 Feb (yes, they are that busy) to have it checked out anyway, but if the repair turn out to be in the thousands, well....the reason for my question of what harm can be done if left alone.

One more thing before I forget, "THANK YOU" to all who have answered and tried to help
post #9 of 18 Old 01-26-2017, 11:53 PM
Lady in Red

Yes, those are the symptoms I was having too. Yes, it is in 4D but feels like 4, no overdrive! The service guys questioned me on that.

I don't know if it is damaging to drive like that. I did for a while since nobody could figure out what was wrong (several months). The truck ran fine although I did notice my mileage dropped a little bit. Finally when I couldn't get the light to reset I left it at the dealer for a couple days and told them to keep it until they figured out why. I can check if you want to know what the cost of parts vs. labor was on my service receipt.

Radiant Red
06 Prerunner Access Cab V6 auto TRD Sport w/tow pkg and OEM SS tube steps, Michelin LTX MS2 tires.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ce1sierra View Post

One question, what harm can I do if I drive the truck at 60 MPH or below in its current condition?

Should be fine. Biggest hit will be higher fuel consumption, then maybe a bit more wear on components.

I would imagine that if I lived where you described (with the curves and hills etc.), I would spend most of my time in 4 anyway. I live off a 9 mile stretch of curves and hills, and switch to 4 when I get there.

When you said you did all the jumpering etc in your first post, I assumed that you were quite technical. With a Digital Volts Ohm Meter (DVOM), you could probably solve this, if you can find the connection (crawling under the truck).

Keep us informed.

06 DC LB 4x4 Speedway, TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL w/ Grom to IPod / Aux / BT, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Michelin LTX MS2 tires
post #11 of 18 Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Senior TN Member

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwinna View Post
I was trying to find the thread I had on my issue but for some reason I am FORBIDDEN from searching

Have you been naughty? Is TN viewing your browser history and getting BIG EYES?

Search worked for me, so hope it was just a glitch. Looking for posted by you, keyword wire, its the #2 result, behind this one.

post #12 of 18 Old 01-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Lady in Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
Have you been naughty? Is TN viewing your browser history and getting BIG EYES?

Search worked for me, so hope it was just a glitch. Looking for posted by you, keyword wire, its the #2 result, behind this one.

Apparently I have been naughty! LOL

I just checked and I can search from the search box. I was trying to "find more posts by elwinna" when clicking on my name in the thread and I was getting a white page with this...

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/search.php on this server.

Maybe it won't let me search my own name.
Edit: No, it won't let me do that on anyone's name. I guess nobody really uses that!

Edit 2: Just remembered it is time to change my Rid-A-Rat batteries under my hood!

Radiant Red

Last edited by elwinna; 01-27-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Got Snow?

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
^ The methods of searching that way and one other have been a problem for a couple of weeks. AG is trying to figure out the problem. Only way to search on a username is using the advanced search from the forum search option.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well, back again. Still having trouble and after 3 trips to the Toyota dealer I've given up on the dealer. I've been doing some research and I'm pretty certain that my No1. ATF Temp sensor is bad. However, I've not been able to test them RTFM or cj1 had previously suggested. Can anyone tell me where are the the Temp Sensors located? Are they on the outside body of the transmission or must one drop the pan & valve body to test/replace?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Thanked 3,313 Times in 2,617 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Looks like it is internal and you have to drop the pan according to this post.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-12696570

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)