Hit speed bump fast, now truck won't start - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hit speed bump fast, now truck won't start

Hello All,

I have a 2005 DC TRD V6 automatic with ~95k miles. I drove over a speed bump at I'm guessing 25-30mph. The engine shut off but all accessories remained on. The engine will turn over just fine, but the truck would not/will not start. Luckily I was close to home so a friend tow roped me home. I've been gone this last week and haven't been able to troubleshoot. Does the second Gen have any type of fuel safety shutoff in case of an accident? I'm not sure if the ecu or some sensor tripped and is preventing the fuel pump from working.

Thanks in advance,

Tom C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It doesn't have a sensor per se, like we're thinking, but the power flow for the pump goes through the EFI relay, the Circuit opening relay, and then the high/low speed fuel pump relay, ALL of which are controlled by the ECM. The ECM is connected directly to the SRS ECM, so there could very well be a signal that is killing the pump. It's going to be a little tough to figure out. I think I would try disconnecting the battery first and see if a hard reset would help. If not, you'll have to go the each of the connections first and see if you can find something. Let us know, we'll try to follow up.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Thanked 3,315 Times in 2,619 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
The Circuit Opening relay is yer safety relay to prevent the fuel pump from pumping when the engine isn't running. The ECU gits the signal from the crank sensor which keeps the relay closed. You will have to trace where yer not gitting power at. I would start at the fuel pump connection and trace back.

Are you sure you checked yer 15A EFI fuse located in the engine bay fuse box? Without that fuse, yer not gonna send power to the fuel pump. BTW, does yer Check Engine light come on when you turn the key on to the On position? If not, yer EFI fuse probably isn't in or blown.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Official TN Member

Supreme Member
In reviewing my post, I see BamZipPow mentioned what I intended, but forgot. The power flow starts at the EFI fuse, then goes through the list I posted. In my opinion, however, the engine shutting off is a symptom, not the source. You need to start by figuring out what you're missing.... fuel or spark, and then trace down from there. He is absolutely correct, if the CEL isn't on that fuse is likely blown, but why would it be? Anyway, let us know, we'll try to help.
BamZipPow likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Update. Truck still won't start. I visually pulled and checked the EFI fuse, mine shows 20 amp and it is fine. I checked the EFI NO. 2 fuse and it is ok. The CEL does not come on when I turn the key to ON.

I forgot to mention that the battery had been disconnected for over a week.

Intereting item, when I plug an OBD2 scanner in, it will not link/communicate/pull any data.

Last edited by basshead760; 04-02-2017 at 03:47 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Official TN Member

Supreme Member
I have no idea why, but something has interrupted the power or ground to the ECM, or maybe it just quit. Nothing I have heard of before. Once again, try a hard reset by disconnecting? Did the truck touch when it went over? I can't think of anything low enough to cause a problem, but stranger things have happened. Is the truck lifted? I'm wondering about a violent shift that caused a disconnect somewhere. Maybe your next step is to check all the power and ground connections to the ECM and see if something is missing. It might be time to buy a weekend subscription to TIS to see if you can find some diagnostic trees to help, but keep giving us info I'll do what I can.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Sorry Protech. I edited my last post after you replied. The truck is completely stock. The battery had been disconnected for over a week. Nothing made contact with the ground. Just a semi violent reaction to the suspension.

By ECM, Im assuming aka ECU?

Thanks for all of the help so far.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Official TN Member

Supreme Member
Tomato, tomahto....

Yeah, there are reasons for the technical differences, but pretty much ECU, ECM, and PCM for our purposes are interchangeable. PCM usually controls more, like transmission and 4WD as well, not strictly engine like the ECM. But you do have a puzzle there. I always tell my students, check all the power and grounds into the PCM, then check the inputs like CKP (crank position) and CMP (cam position). (IF it has CKP and CMP, it should start even if it doesn't run well, etc. if the PCM works.) If it has all that, the PCM may just be bad. But WHY????

I've never heard of a Taco having an inertia switch, but it still could be coming from an SRS signal. What puzzles me is that even if it did, unless the SRS module itself died as a result, I would expect it to reset. But as I think, you said you have no OBDII connectivity or CEL, so the problem lies in the PCM somewhere. All I can say is start there....
post #9 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Where is the Powertrain Control Module (haha, had to look it up) located?
post #10 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Official TN Member

Supreme Member
PCM location

OOPS! sorry about that! didn't mean to leave you hanging.

Pull out the glove box and you might can leave the right side kick panel. It hangs vertically against the outside wall on the right, usually 4 or 5 connectors.

Let us know.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you. I have to run some errands. Ill post an update asap.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 06:34 PM
☻Black Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Typically 'newer cars' have INERTIAL SWITCHES that can be reset if they are tripped accidentally. They are intended to cut fuel off in an accident. You went over a big bump and you prilly tripped the switch... locate it (dunno where it is sorry) and reset it.... If the newer Toyota DON'T have an inertia switch then theres some other switch governing this same feature as I think it is 'required' on all cars sold in the USA...

1995 2.2L Camry 5sfe engine
post #13 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Thanked 3,315 Times in 2,619 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

I take it that yer engine bay fuse box layout looks something like this?

I would check the ECU-B fuse to see if it is intact and passing power. I'm guessing that that fuse sends power to the ECU?

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
post #14 of 26 Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Probably a long shot for sure but how about that fuel pump resistor that is located behind the driver's headlight and between the battery. Is there something in it that designed to disconnect from a front impact???
post #15 of 26 Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Before continuing to chase an electrical or "no communication" issues (common with cheap OBD II readers on Toyotas), we need to find out what's missing...Fuel? Spark? Injection Pulse?

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key ON?

-Jeff
2010 Tacoma Prerunner TRD 2WD
2003 Accord EX Coupe 2.4L
1968 Pontiac Firebird Vert 350 CI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)