2013 TRD Magnuson Oddity - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2013 TRD Magnuson Oddity

I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4.0 V6 automatic which recently (within the last two months), received a Magnuson 1GR-FE supercharger installation. Something odd has happened twice...

There are no problems as long as I keep the transmission in D, regardless of how brutal I am with the throttle, but when I manually shift it down to D4 too often for passing, an MAF related DTC appears.

This happened for the first time during the initial shakedown after installation. Returning it to the installer resulted in receiving new files from Bullydog as it was believed that they hadn't prepared the sensor properly for the increased air flow. Note, this was before I'd managed to make the association with the manual shifting. I had thought at that time it was simply a random issue. One updated reprogram later had me rolling again.

The problem seemed to go away, hooray. I, for lack of any real reason, stayed away from manual shifting. Cut to this morning, where in a fit of whimsy, I drove to work under manual control of the gearbox. This caused the MAF DTC to appear once again.

There seems to be no performance degradation with this error is thrown. The vehicle runs fine. Both the installer and Bullydog claimed that it's a misread on the part of the MAF, and not truly a problem. I worry that the engine might be running lean at the very worst.

So there's my question -- has anyone had experience with Bullydog coding, whether or not it involves the Maggie? Is it inflexible to the point of becoming confused when put to manual shifting as opposed to its own automatic schema? Is there something else I might want to investigate?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM
T100 Road Warrior...

Thanked 3,313 Times in 2,617 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Welcome to the forums!

What is the exact code that is being pulled? P0100?
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0100

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
Welcome to the forums!

What is the exact code that is being pulled? P0100?
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0100
Well, damn. I feel ashamed at this point for not having recorded the exact code (I know better than that...)

The first occurrence was cleared by the installer. They claimed it to have been High Input, which would mark it as P0103. I did not witness this code, which they then cleared, so I'm taking them at their word for the moment.

This morning, as I was on my way in to work, I simply verified that it was another Mass or Volume Air Flow text and cleared without gleaning more information. Shame on me. Having places to be is not an excuse for half-assing an analysis. I was hoping that the discovery of this issue being related to manual shifting might be enough to reveal an explanation.

I could always provoke it again later on for more detailed numbers, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 AM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

P0103 Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit High
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0103

Do you have the wiring diagram fer yer Tacoma? I'm wondering where yer power draws are at and if it is directly affecting the MAF circuit. How does the Bully Dog controller hook up?

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
P0103 Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit High
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0103

Do you have the wiring diagram fer yer Tacoma? I'm wondering where yer power draws are at and if it is directly affecting the MAF circuit. How does the Bully Dog controller hook up?
I do not have those diagrams on me at the moment, sorry. The Bully coder plugs into the ODBII port for flashing, and then is disconnected for the ride. I could leave it in place for constant monitoring, but I do not. I don't really see a need for it unless I want to record a 0-60 run or something similar.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 02:03 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

I see. After looking over the users guide, it would seem with the BullyDog hooked up to the OBDII port that you can change the BullyDog display to show the MAF numbers and graph them on the larger display. Maybe this will help you see what the ECU sees when you manually downshift shift to D4?

The Following User Says Thank You to BamZipPow For This Useful Post:
Avatrd (05-17-2017)
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I see. After looking over the users guide, it would seem with the BullyDog hooked up to the OBDII port that you can change the BullyDog display to show the MAF numbers and graph them on the larger display. Maybe this will help you see what the ECU sees when you manually downshift shift to D4?
Hadn't thought of that -- will do!
post #8 of 8 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Eh, still collecting data on this issue. It's definitely shift-related, though. So far I've had the vehicle be stuck in 4th after manually changing -- changing to neutral and back to D finally popped it into 5th. I've also seen the vehicle not automatically downshift when attempting to pass.

The error is p0101 -- not the p0103 as was suggested by the installer. Interesting. I'm going to flash back to stock shift points and see what that does.

I've also noticed that the throttle is set to 30% at the mid-way pedal position and maxing out at 64% on the floor. I see by the Dog's documentation that this is its default setting. Is that also standard with a stock Tacoma? I can't seem to find good documentation on that.

Throttle adjustments are not available on the fly, but the coder's documentation suggests that I should be able to change to 50/100. I'll see if it's an option on the flash, but so far I have not found any demos of users doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)