12 volt outlet - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
12 volt outlet

I have two 12 volt outlets on the dash of my 2013 Tacoma.

The cover on one was missing so I put a blank rubber plug to cover the hole. That worked OK for a couple of days but shortly after that the whole socket is loose in the hole. I am not sure if the plug caused the problem. A new socket is $20-@30 so probably not worth it.

I do not see any thing which would hold the socket in the dash. What is supposed to hold it in place. Anything short of gluing it in or removing the dash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Got Snow?

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
This thread should provide what you're looking for (note: links in TapaTalk do not work, so open in a browser when on mobile devices):
Replace 2006 Tacoma Cigarette Lighter Cover

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
The Following User Says Thank You to 05Moose For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-17-2017)
post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
That is interesting and tells me that it is probably not worth it if it involves removing the dash panel. Since I have a manual transmission the plug is in the dash panel and not the console. Also the problem is that the receptacle is coming out and just dangling out of the hole. Getting it out is not the problem, having it stay in the hole is the problem. I do not see anything which should be holding it in place. I am going to have to take a closer look. I have pulled the socket out and there is an electrical connector on the end but I do not see anything which would secure it in the hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Got Snow?

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonL View Post
That is interesting and tells me that it is probably not worth it if it involves removing the dash panel. Since I have a manual transmission the plug is in the dash panel and not the console. Also the problem is that the receptacle is coming out and just dangling out of the hole. Getting it out is not the problem, having it stay in the hole is the problem. I do not see anything which should be holding it in place. I am going to have to take a closer look. I have pulled the socket out and there is an electrical connector on the end but I do not see anything which would secure it in the hole.
It may just be that you don't have it turned correctly when pushing it back in. Look at the first picture in post 9 in that thread. At the 11 o'clock position deep inside the metal, you can see one of the two (?) plastic tabs that hold the metal part in. If the metal sleeve isn't turned correctly, those tabs can't engage to hold it in. My guess is that those tabs popped loose from the hole when you were twisting something out of the receptacle. Let me know if you see what I'm talking about in that pic. I can always circle it and repost it here.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
....also take a look at my detailed instructions later in that thread. You may want to post a pic to show the problem as it should come out. Watch out for the elec connector on the other side as it can catch on things, and Moose they started turning the whole outlet upside down so the tab is now at the bottom in the 6:00 position.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taco'09 For This Useful Post:
05Moose (05-18-2017)
post #6 of 6 Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I doing a little more digging I finally determined that there are some tabs on the outer plastic piece which hold the assembly in the dash. These are missing on mine so apparently they got broken off. Mine is different than the ones shown in the pictures. The plastic sleeve is held in by tabs into the metal sleeve at 12 and 6 o'clock and right near the outer end. There seem to be several different versions of this piece. I finally ordered one from my local dealer and gave them the VIN so it should be right and if it is not they should take it back easily. I should have just gone with my first instinct and glued it in place.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)