Adding an overhead Thermometer/Compass - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-27-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Adding an overhead Thermometer/Compass

I've been searching the internet on how to ADD the overhead Thermometer/Compass unit to my 2010 Tacoma, where there was none before.
I have purchased the correct unit (For 2010 as I know something changed in 2009).
The unit works but the temp has "- - -". From what a gather, I need to add another sensor unit - as the one the truck already has is used for other tasks.
I have not purchased the sensor yet, but what I need is the specs where to plug the sensor into.
I have seen that some trucks come with the female fitting already under the hood, ready for the sensor - tied up behind the horn, as far as I can see,
there is no plug there. I've seen another mod where someone with a 2006 ran wires from his fuse panel to the sensor. I tend to believe my sensor should
plug in there too, but can not find a schematic for the fuse box.
Any ideas or plans I can follow to get this to work.
Thank you.

And one other issue, the compass is in CAL mode, I've found the directions on how to calibrate it. I've followed them over and over and over, got car sick from driving
in circles -- any ideas there too? I asked the dealer and he said - just keep trying -- driving in circles, that it will work. Afraid the neighbors gonna call the cops on this nut
that keeps driving in circles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Supreme Member
There was a time when the temp wasn't a stand alone sensor, but a parasite off some other sensor on the truck. Forget when that happened though.

Looks like 2009. There is a thread on wiring this up, haven't found it yet.

All 2nd Generation Model Year Changes

Looks like part of your help is here.

I'm about to give up or maybe someone can shed a light on this

06 DC LB 4x4 Speedway, TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL w/ Grom to IPod / Aux / BT, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Michelin LTX MS2 tires
The Following User Says Thank You to RTFM For This Useful Post:
scphillipp1 (05-30-2017)
post #3 of 14 Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Ok, after extensive back and forth on this, I've come to one conclusion -- I will just run my own wires from another sensor in the front to my overhead unit.
I have a unit from a 2006 which uses 6 wires and I have a unit from a 2012 which uses 5 wires and normally gets its signal from the ac chip.

I don't care which unit I use, I will just sell the other, but I need to find out where the heck to put my 2 wires coming from the sensor on these units.

If anyone can provide me with that info I would be very grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Senior TN Member

Supreme Member
From the 06:
Pin1 - IG+ light green from fuse IG1 No.2, turns the display on
Pin2 - E - Ground, white w black (to point BD, near rear differential, no idea why)
Pin3 - S1 - Violet / White stripe, ties back to speed control Combo meter Pin9, no idea what it does, guessing compass
Pin4 - Ill+ green wire from tail light fuse, dims the display when tail lights are on. (I put a switch on mine to get brighter illumination as my headlights are always on.)

Pin 5 - Temp+ Yellow wire to Term 2 on ambient temp sensor
Pin 6 - Temp- Gray wire to Terminal 1 on ambient temp sensor

06 DC LB 4x4 Speedway, TRD Sport w/ Tow, JBL w/ Grom to IPod / Aux / BT, Roof Rack, Weathertech bug deflector & floormats, Access LE tonneau, Clifford 10.5x alarm, Homelink Mirror, Ultra Grinder Wheels, Michelin LTX MS2 tires
scphillipp1 (05-30-2017)
post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Ok to be clear because I am dense - these pin specs are for the 06 unit. So I want to put my sensor leads to 5 and 6 -- as in my drawing. (my drawing is looking at the unit (male pins) - not the truck plug)

Thanks very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unit.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	127202  
post #6 of 14 Old 05-31-2017, 12:59 PM
Senior TN Member

Supreme Member
My connector plug drawing shows the pins numbered differently.

With the locking clip on top (I assume I am looking into the wiring end, not the temp)

1 is top left, 5 is top right
6 lower left, 10 lower right.

So I disagree with your top and bottom rows. Just a caution, a way to check is below. How did you determine Pin 1 etc?

Maybe try powering up pins 1 & 2, something should come on the display. If you are right, no problem, it should power up no problem. If I am right and you connect it your way, it should do no harm, as pin 7 isn't connected, but nothing should come on the display

scphillipp1 (05-31-2017)
post #7 of 14 Old 05-31-2017, 06:16 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scphillipp1 View Post
Ok, after extensive back and forth on this, I've come to one conclusion -- I will just run my own wires from another sensor in the front to my overhead unit.
I have a unit from a 2006 which uses 6 wires and I have a unit from a 2012 which uses 5 wires and normally gets its signal from the ac chip.

I don't care which unit I use, I will just sell the other, but I need to find out where the heck to put my 2 wires coming from the sensor on these units.

If anyone can provide me with that info I would be very grateful.
That is what I did. Got an identical sensor to the one for the AC unit located in front, mounted it next to the factory one, and then ran two wires back to the mirror. Works like a charm. It might help if you could tell us what unit you have as it may be the same as mine. I will frequently create a new file with a wiring diagram for mods.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taco'09 For This Useful Post:
scphillipp1 (05-31-2017)
post #8 of 14 Old 05-31-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I used the color of the wire on the truck- as its color is yellow. And used that as a basis for pin 5. The other colors don't jive.
My pic the clip shown is the clip that holds the male plug to the unit, not the truck plug lock.
I've taken a pic of the plug for clarification.
Everything works on the unit now (power, dimming, compass) so I am sure the pins from the truck are correct. Just trying to make sure I
hook the 2 wires from the sensor on the correct pins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plug on unit.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	127458  
post #9 of 14 Old 05-31-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Mine is the standard overhead unit from Toyota for an 07. When this mess is done I will make drawings and post it for anyone else who may be going thru this mess.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Senior TN Member

Supreme Member
Quote:
I used the color of the wire on the truck- as its color is yellow. And used that as a basis for pin 5. ......
Everything works on the unit now (power, dimming, compass) so I am sure the pins from the truck are correct. Just trying to make sure I
hook the 2 wires from the sensor on the correct pins.

Sounds definitive. Glad it works, which is most definitive.

scphillipp1 (06-03-2017)
post #11 of 14 Old 06-03-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Solved!

Quote:
I've been searching the internet on how to ADD the overhead Thermometer/Compass unit to my 2010 Tacoma, where there was none before.
I have purchased the correct unit (For 2010 as I know something changed in 2009).
The unit works but the temp has "- - -". From what a gather, I need to add another sensor unit - as the one the truck already has is used for other tasks.
I have not purchased the sensor yet, but what I need is the specs where to plug the sensor into.
I have seen that some trucks come with the female fitting already under the hood, ready for the sensor - tied up behind the horn, as far as I can see,
there is no plug there. I've seen another mod where someone with a 2006 ran wires from his fuse panel to the sensor. I tend to believe my sensor should
plug in there too, but can not find a schematic for the fuse box.
Any ideas or plans I can follow to get this to work.
Thank you.

I've finally got it working. First, If you have a 2009+ 6 cylinder I think you can safely find a 2009+ unit on ebay etc.. and it will be plug and play. If you are one of the unlucky ones like me with a 4 cylinder and do NOT have the sensor harness stuck up behind the horn then take it from me - don't bother with a 2009+ unit. Just get a 2005 - 2008 unit and run your own wire from the overhead out thru the firewall. The overhead unit from the earlier models are all the same - the only difference is the temp/compass unit itself.

I've attached a picture showing MY pin configuration. The unit is a 2007 and the pins I have marked 1 & 2 are for your thermistor sensor that is under the hood. I don't guarantee your pins will be the same, but all that I've read is, one of the 2 is always yellow wire on the truck. The other pin I have marked is the dimmer pin, which dims the display when you have the headlights on. Since I drive with my headlights on all the time, I snipped the wire on the unit to stop that feature. This is your choice. I actually temp hooked my sensor by tapping into the 2 wires up at the unit, to make sure it worked before I ran everything. Note the display takes about 5 seconds to read out.

Good luck. I wish I had known these steps 2 weeks ago, I sure could have saved myself a heap of time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	solved.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	127930   Click image for larger version

Name:	my pins.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	127938  
The Following User Says Thank You to scphillipp1 For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (06-09-2017)
post #12 of 14 Old 06-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Bummer. My 2008 X-Runner was "pre-wired" for that install; just needed to purchase an overhead console with the temp/compass and the temp sensor ($17) that attaches behind the grill. Plugged in the new sensor, then plugged in the new (used) console and everything worked as advertised.

Sorry to hear it's no longer an easy mod/upgrade with newer Tacomas.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-17-2017, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Your cheapest option would just be to add a Gentex mirror with the temp and compass function.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
+1, this is what I did to my '14

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '13 Camry XLE Hybrid, '06 Camry XLE V6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > Tacoma 2nd Generation (2005-2015)