Prius Won't Start - Help - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius Forum The original hybrid from Toyota... the Prius! Discussion area for everything about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-06-2007, 06:59 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Prius Won't Start - Help

WILL NOT START

i have a first generation prius (2002) ... a couple days ago i went out to shut the windows in this car, i put the key in the ignition and turned the key just far enough to turn the auxiliary power on and close the power windows. keep in mind that i did not start the car. after closing the windows, i was in a hurry, so i left the key in the ignition and forgot to turn it to the off position. i did not notice this until a day later. now the car electronics are dead. i do not know much about how the electronics work in this car, so the first thing i did was put a trickle charger (1amp) on the 12 volt battery for about 30 hours ... no change. turn the key, nothing lights up.

before you answer any questions, keep in mind that i have not yet tested the 12 volt battery and i have not disconnected anything yet. i also have not checked any fuses yet.

can anyone offer me some help to get this car started?

a few other questions:
1) what battery powers up the electronics in the car? the 12 volt or 208v?
2) does the 1st generation prius start the car with the 12 volt battery or does it use the 208v battery?
3) if it uses the 208v battery to start the car, does it also require the 12 volt battery to power up the electronics in order to start it?
4) if i have somehow ruined the 12 volt battery, will i absolutely need a replacement 12 volt battery in order to keep the car running even if i do get it jump started?
5) if needed, what kind of replacement battery should i get? is there any special considerations when choosing a battery for the prius (2002)????

any help is greatly appreciated. if you do not know the answer, please steer me in the right direction to help me in my quest to get this car started.

george
2002 toyota prius, 93000 miles, in mint condition (at least it was until a few days ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 AM
Official TN Member

hum...after you charge the 12V battery for 30 hours and you said nothing lights up.....you mean no warning light from the dashboard? Or nothing related to electric coome on (I mean door ajar light, map light, etc).

The gas engine is start up by MG1, which is getting it power from the 280V battery (the HV battery)

Ther will be alot more people can help you in www.priusonline.com since I think there is only two (including me) "active" prius owner in this forum (but I still can try to help you if I can).

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius
#3 Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
still won't start - help

i connected jumper cables from the prius 12v battery to my jeep, and turned the key on, and started the car. it started and the normal trip information displayed fine, indicating the drive battery has 3/4 charge, which assures me the main battery is not dead. however, after about 15 seconds, the main display changed to a warning screen, then 2 seconds later, the car shut off. warning screen remained. oddly enough, i can still turn the key off and then turn it back on, the warning screen reappears, but i can still start the car, and it shuts off after 10 seconds now ... all subsequent starts of the car do not result in anything other than the warning display, and it does start the engine, but i cannot get the trip information that i got briefly at my first start.

the warning screen has 3 icons, from left to right, they are: PS, MAIN (with battery icon), car icon with exclamation point ... it is the 3rd one that is highlighted.

i decided to shut off the car and let the charging continue to the prius battery (still connected to my jeep). after about 30 minutes, i figured it might hold a charge, so i disconnected the jeep battery from the prius battery, and shut the trunk and all the doors, and started the car without jumper cables. it started ... this is odd considering i remember it only having a 3 volt charge ... however, it only runs for 10 seconds as the warning persists.

i am beginning to lose my faith in this car as resurrecting it is turning out to be very frustrating.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by whorules; 05-14-2007 at 05:04 PM.
#4 Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
PS = power steering
MAIN = Main battery
Car = Hybrid system.

wait, did you bring it to the dealer yet? Plug in the OBDII scanner and see what codes it brings up.

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#5 Old 05-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Official TN Member

Although the main battery has 3/4 charge and the main battery warning light didn't light up, but I still think it may be the problem from the main battery. This is because when my main battery was dead back in feb, it just only the main hybrid (car icon with the ! in the middle) turn on (the main battery light surprisely didn't turn on, and the battery indicator still show have 3/4 power remain). I think the best thing right now is like what Tideland Prius say, hook your prius up with the scanner and see what the code come up.

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius
#6 Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
replacement battery HELP

since my 12v battery only holds a charge to 3v, i am going to try replacing the battery before i go and tow it to a toyota dealer and have them read the codes.

can i get some advice for the cheapest battery to order online that will be compatible. i have found a site for a battery for $100 + 25 for conversion kit, but shipping is $50 for a total of about $175, which breaks the deal for me. if anyone knows a good inexpensive 12v battery replaement, please let me know.

here is the link for the $175 battery ... i want to see if i can do better:
http://www.elearnaid.com/pakitforup12.html

thank you all for your advice.

george

Last edited by whorules; 05-16-2007 at 11:44 PM.
#7 Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Official TN Member

Here is a link I just found it from the internet, the owener change the OEM battery to a Sears Die Hard (I assume the sears battery is cheap but I'm not sure) with step by step mod.

http://www.mindspring.com/~dparrish/...teryMods2.html

Just for reference: The oem parts number for 01 -03 prius is 28800-21050, and I just check it's roughly cost $100 From dealer. (quote from: https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html).

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius

Last edited by ea8631; 05-17-2007 at 05:56 PM.
#8 Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
battery vent hose will not come off

i bought a replacement battery and i cannot get the vent hose off the old battery. therefore i cannot remove the old battery. i am coming to the conclusion that this car is a piece of junk. what an ordeal.
#9 Old 05-26-2007, 08:26 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Could you not have let the dealer do it? It would save you a lot of trouble (and swearing) trying to remove the hose and cover and whatever else you need to remove to get the battery out.

OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#10 Old 05-28-2007, 05:24 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
new 12v battery installed, still won't stay running

it was not an option to have the dealer install the battery. the car is in my driveway and the toyota dealer is 20+ miles away.

however, i installed the 12v battery. the power locks now work. the car started just fine, just as it did 2 weeks ago using the jumper cables, but the same warning screen appears just as it did 2 weeks ago. the warning screen has the CAR (hybrid system) highlighted. i checked the dashboard fuel indicator and it was blinking one bar (low fuel). i thought that maybe i really was out of gas ... but with only 150 miles on that tankful, i doubt it. i filled tank with 3 gallons of gas and it started overflowing. it was not low on fuel. i turned the key again and still fuel guage still indicates low fuel. no warning message about fuel, however. i can turn the key to on and the trip information screen shows the main battery at only about 25% full. this worries me. is my prius dying a slow death? it is obviously not reading my fuel guage properly.

the engine does start, but only lasts about 15 seconds as the warning light stays on and eventually shuts the engine off. it must be getting some fuel if it is running for 15 seconds, correct?

is there anything i can try before i tow it to a toyota dealer? help .... anyone ... help
#11 Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Official TN Member

^ try to get (or borrow) the OBDII scanner from local automotive store and hook it up with the plug which is locate right under the steering wheel and see what it come up....since the warning screen has the CAR (hybrid system) can mean alot of things.......

After you got the code, if you need, I can scan you the code decription and procedure from the repair manual.

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius
#12 Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
toyota dealer diagnosis

i had the car towed to the sdealer. they put it on their diagnostic machine and they told me it revealed 2 failed components:
1) engine control module
2) circuit opening relay

the cost to repair is $1217 ... that's 12 hundred dollars!!!! i am shocked. all this because i left the key turned to the on position for a day.

i told them to not do the work and i'll take a day to decide what to do.

does this sound like a reasonable cost to repair this?
is there anywhere i can get these parts and install them myself?
#13 Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorules
1: Not sure since don't no what excitly need to change....but for sure it will be cheaper without the labor parts.....did tell you excitly what parts that (I mean the parts name and the parts number) need to be change?

2: Get them from junk yard, ebay or some online dealer (ie: www.1sttoyotaparts.com or similar). And I will scan you the procedure from the repair manual if you needed.

83 Corolla s/w
01 Prius
#14 Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorules
i had the car towed to the sdealer. they put it on their diagnostic machine and they told me it revealed 2 failed components:
1) engine control module
2) circuit opening relay

the cost to repair is $1217 ... that's 12 hundred dollars!!!! i am shocked. all this because i left the key turned to the on position for a day.

i told them to not do the work and i'll take a day to decide what to do.

I'm surprised esp. since your car wasn't on.

Post this on PriusOnline and see what they say. They're a more technicaly group.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tideland Prius For This Useful Post:
Bujel (09-01-2012)
#15 Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
used ecu purchased on ebay

i purchased a used ecu on ebay ... the relay from toyota is only $2 and they are nice enough to install my used ecu, so i am going to see if the used ecu works. yes, i agree, unbelievable that the ecu died, but i did try to jump start the battery a few times, with the same results as a new battery, as well as i did put a 1amp trickle charger on the battery with its terminals connected, so there could have been something i did wrong. who knows, it's an electronic wonder this car. it does discourage me a bit since i did nothing that a typical informed car owner would do and this is what i get ...
thanks for all your help.
results to follow when my ecu arrives and installed.
george
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum