Prius sitting idle for months - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius Forum The original hybrid from Toyota... the Prius! Discussion area for everything about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Prius sitting idle for months

I live overseas and only get home twice a year. I am looking at a 3-4 year old Prius and am wondering what to expect from the 12v battery? My other vehicles I use a 12v solar charger that puts a 500ma trickle charge into the battery so I expect that is an option.

Any ideas or suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Account Canceled

The Prius has two batteries that need to be charged.The main battery needs to be charged every month by driving.The extra battery is charged at the same time so forget the old school trickle charger.I would suggest you take the car with you to Iraq.Wash it often and wear your seatbelt.
http://brainsnap.com/business/disney...dad_theme_park

Last edited by LeMangelo; 05-02-2008 at 11:54 PM.
#3 Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I do live overseas but not in Iraq. Taking it with me is not an option. It is my understanding that if I keep the small 12v battery charged that it would in tun start to motor and that would charge the large battery.
#4 Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Account Canceled

The gas motor is started by the main electrical motor that is powered by the hybrid battery.Your statement is correct for thirty days then the hybrid battery loses charge then cannot start the gas motor.The small battery powers the computers before starting.I do not know if a dead hybrid battery can be revived after losing charge.I would be careful about misleading information from someone trying to unload a hybrid before going to Iraq.
#5 Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
That being the case if I come back and find I can't start the car, what are my options? Would I have to get a 24v battery charger or is it even possible to recharge the hybrid battery without going to the dealer?
#6 Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Official TN Member

i wouldnt mess with using an outside source to charge the hybrid battery.. but the 12 v battery in the back can be hooked up to a charger.. but before you hook up just any charger.. make sure it charges 2amps or less.
if its gonna sit for a long time. u can just disconnect the 12v negative side battery
not sure how long it takes for the hybrid battery to be depleted from non use but i do know if it drops below 20% you are gonna need a new hybrid battery .. the 12v can be replaced but they are expensive cuz they are not like any other aux battery..
the aux battery powers the computers which tells what the hybrid system to do. like start the engine and what not

88 4Runner

Last edited by wonger; 05-10-2008 at 10:48 PM.
#7 Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Account Canceled

Since you are in the tire kicking stage I would say forget about a hybrid.The hybrid battery requires dangerous high voltage to charge.Your seat of the pants mentality remindes me of Star Wars where disaster is calmly navigated while the enemy turns into hamburger.After all the warnings if you faceplant I will laugh like Jabba the Hut's little friend.Buy carbon offsets instead,you can fly the globe then ease your guilt for $120. http://www.nativeenergy.com/pages/vintage_carbon_offsets/325.php/

Last edited by LeMangelo; 05-13-2008 at 05:42 AM.
#8 Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Toyota & Scion Sales

There are many smart chagring systems out there to keep the 12v battery charged, invest in one. Turn off the smart system, if it has one, and you should be fine.

The high volatege battery is covered by the 8-year/100,000-mile factory warranty. I have never heard of warnings that the high voltage battery will die. Over the years, when sales were slower, we have had Prius vehicles sit unmoved for 2 to 3 months. if we forgot to turn the smart system off, we just had to jump the 12v battery and off we went. Never caused a problem with the high voltage battery, it was low but worked fine right away.

Last edited by isaiah58; 05-14-2008 at 05:33 PM.
#9 Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
this is the first I've heard of the Smart System and being able to turn it off. Is this accessible from the touch screen display?
#10 Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 PM
it is what it is

Gen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonRM View Post
this is the first I've heard of the Smart System and being able to turn it off. Is this accessible from the touch screen display?
No under the dash by your knees it says "key"

07 Camry SE V6, Nav Mag Grey,18" Nex-0 gun metal, Trd Springs,K&N Typhoon Intake
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2475669
#11 Old 05-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Official TN Member

You should turn off smart key if equipped, may need to have a 12V charger for aux battery and do you have a friend who could take it for a spin a couple times a month? This will keep HV battery up and keep brakes from rusting etc...

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum