Need replacement smart key for 2006 Prius - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius Forum The original hybrid from Toyota... the Prius! Discussion area for everything about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-23-2010, 05:13 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Need replacement smart key for 2006 Prius

Hi all. I drive a 2006 Prius. Lost my smart key at the gym and evidently some weirdo walked off with it instead of turning it in at the desk. So I'm driving with my spare smart key, and trying to figure out how to get a working backup key without spending $300 at my local Toyota dealer. (The best dealer quote in my area was $200 for a new smart key and $100 for cutting and programming.) The dealer told me the same labor cost would apply whether the key came from the dealership or elsewhere...don't know whether to believe that.

I can get a Prius smart key on eBay for as little as $20. Has anyone had success (or fail) with this method?

I found Prius smart keys on CarAndTruckRemotes for $150 new, $100 used, 30 day money back guarantee. Has this worked (or not) for anyone?

I also checked with KeylessRemotes. They do not sell Prius keys and they advised me "not" to buy a used smart key on eBay, etc., as they are "not" reprogrammable.

Is there a reliable alternative, or should I just bite the bullet and shell out $300 at the dealer?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Airport Bum

I purchased an '05 at a local Chevy dealership... the owner only turned in one smart key... so I was in a similar situation. They called around and found a Toyota dealer that would sell me a new smart key and program it all for about $200.

Now according to the parts guys (could be or could not be fact) one of the smart keys is the master... they claim if you have the master and just need to replace the secondary key that it can be reprogrammed easily... however they claim if you lost the master key then the whole system has to be replaced.

As I said I have no knowledge if they know what they are talking about or not... but it is worth checking into.

Do you have more than one Toyota dealership you can talk to? The one that sold you the car (if you bought it from a toyota dealer) should be the one most willing to cut you a deal... if they won't I surely would not give them any business in the future.

IMHO of course.
#3 Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post
Now according to the parts guys (could be or could not be fact) one of the smart keys is the master... they claim if you have the master and just need to replace the secondary key that it can be reprogrammed easily... however they claim if you lost the master key then the whole system has to be replaced.
Any idea how to identify the master key?
#4 Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Airport Bum

No sorry.... personally I cannot tell any difference between the two fobs... I "presume" that the difference must be internal..., where one key fob will allow copying where the other will not... but this is all supposition on my part.
#5 Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 PM
08 Prius

I lost the smat key on my 08. I ordered a $30 ebay key and took it to the dealership to program it (for the standard $100). Anyways it turns out that a key gets "mated" to a car and once it has been programmed for one car and used a certain number of times, you can't reprogram it for another car. The dealership had the car for about 7 hours and tried programming it 14+ times. On the bright side that is only true for the smart part of the key. I can still put it in the key port and start the car. Also the remote doesn't unlock the doors, you have to use the "emergency" cut out, but that works fine. At least the dealership didn't charge me for only half programming a key. Good luck on whatever you find. I still need to get a spare smart key. They say if you loose all smart keys you have to replace your ECU for $1500. Not good at all.
#6 Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Airport Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt View Post
They say if you loose all smart keys you have to replace your ECU for $1500. Not good at all.
I think the price I was quoted might have been even higher......

When I bought my '05 Prius used it only came with one key... I had them call the "gent" who traded it in, but he claimed he only had one key.

Personally I would be terrified to only have one key for any of these cars with the smart key system... so the first thing I did was find a dealer that would sell me a key and program it all for $180.
#7 Old 08-06-2010, 03:09 PM
08 Prius

Which dealer was that?
#8 Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
New TN User

USA

Quote:
I lost the smat key on my 08. I ordered a $30 ebay key and took it to the dealership to program it (for the standard $100). Anyways it turns out that a key gets "mated" to a car and once it has been programmed for one car and used a certain number of times, you can't reprogram it for another car. The dealership had the car for about 7 hours and tried programming it 14+ times. On the bright side that is only true for the smart part of the key. I can still put it in the key port and start the car. Also the remote doesn't unlock the doors, you have to use the "emergency" cut out, but that works fine. At least the dealership didn't charge me for only half programming a key. Good luck on whatever you find. I still need to get a spare smart key. They say if you loose all smart keys you have to replace your ECU for $1500. Not good at all.
NOT TRUE If you we're to loose all your fob's, all the dealer as to do is, reseed the immobilizer ecu and add new keys to the system.
The key fob's can be programmed to as many cars you want..... ( Immobilizer , chip part)
The fob's have a fixed id built in, can NOT be changed...... Ecu reads the id chip and stores it.
Any further questions feel free to post here........
#9 Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
New TN User

I'm not sure about the smart keys but in my 03 Corolla (non-chipped) I can easily buy as many fobs as I want and program them for free. I got the instructions something to the extent of putting it to ON, opening doors, closing doors and it'll work like a charm. Even if you lose all your fobs you can just reprogram a new one. I bought a 10th gen key from ebay and it came with a Toyota box and everything but I can easily bend the metal part of the key whereas I can't do that with the original. It was a mid ranged price too so I didn't get the cheapest thing. I just recently lost my fob and key combo and hopefully I can find one at a local junk yard.

I don't buy the mated thing because I don't think the fob and the car keep in touch how many times they've opened and closed. They are just synced in a way to communicate with eachother so if reprogrammed properly, they 'should' work. Just my opinion, it'd be nice if a tech had more in dept info.
#10 Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Airport Bum

Quote:
Which dealer was that?
Mark Miller Toyota, Murray, Utah
#11 Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 AM
New TN User

Hire a locksmith to save money

A good locksmith will program a new master key (along with new valet keys and the car's "immobilizer") for much less than the dealer does.

For $165, an independent locksmith reprogrammed/reseeded my 2010 Corolla to use a new master key, a new valet key, and my existing valet key. The dealer had quoted me $400.

To find a good locksmith, use angieslist.com, yelp.com, checkbook.org, or locatealocksmith.com.
#12 Old 09-01-2012, 02:01 PM
New TN User

Dealer still cheaper

Having no working key to our 2006 Prius, I used the above tools to get several quotes from locksmiths to replace both keys. The best:

2 keys + programming + mobile service = $700

The Santa Cruz, CA. dealer price:

2 keys + programming + our towing cost = just under $700

Since using the locksmith would cause us to wait until well into next week and the dealer can do it in a couple of hours today or tomorrow; the dealer is clearly the better of 2 expensive choices.
#13 Old 01-04-2014, 01:43 AM
New TN User

USA FOB Truth

OMG, there is ton of misinformation (mostly incomplete) here.

First of all the "standard FOB / Key " contains two electronic parts:
(1) transmitter to operate the door locks and panic alarm;
(2) a RFID chip which the car's computer (ECU) has been programed to accept in order to START the car.

You can take ONE FOB and program (teach) multiple CARS (ECU computer unit) to accept it for STARTing and DRIVING the car; and you can also program the CAR's ECU computer to use the transmitter's code to unlock the DOORS and panic alarm.

You do not PROGRAM the FOBS, You re-program the CAR's computer - one catch, you can only add more FOB's to the computer for a total of 6 FOB entries.

You can find the information to program additional FOB codes into your CAR's computer on the internet.
See: http://www.ehow.com/how_7151250_prog...#ixzz1Qn1vhEZX

Don't be surprised if the dealership can't make a replacement FOB work, after all they sell more COMPUTERS for BIG money that way - duh!

A toyota dealership in salt lake city, UT told me I need to replace the antiilock bracking system, when they could not get a TPS (tire pressure sensor) work; funny my small repair shop simply replaced the TPS sensor in the wheel and reset the TPS system. The TPS sensors have an internal battery, which last 4-8 years depending on the weather extremes where you drive the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum