2010 Prius spark plug removal?????? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius Forum The original hybrid from Toyota... the Prius! Discussion area for everything about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-03-2011, 05:08 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2010 Prius spark plug removal??????

Does anyone know how to remove the spark plugs from the 2010 Prius? After taking the plastic cover off from the head the four coil packs are very accessible. Just remove a 10 mm bolt and pull up.

Here's were the problem starts. the coil pack and tube connected to it cannot be lifted high enough to come out of the hole for access to the plug. It is stopped by the sheet metal that comes out from the fire wall. There is another sound insulator piece that can be removed but it still does not provided enough overhead clearance. There is nothing else to remove and no other way to gain the clearance to remove the coil pack and tube out of the hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Plugs already? hmmm. To remove, the wipers and cowling must be removed. Sounds like a big project, but it's not. About 10 to 15 minutes extra work.
Ok, curious, why do you need to remove a plug that is designed to go 120K miles and beyond?

Edit: Ok, i see you're double posting for the same question. You had some bad gas you say??
Is it running now? any misfires or CEL coming on??
Do not change them if its running. They are irridium plugs and will clean themselves. Very expensive too. Take them back.
Give all detailed information. The more you give, the more support you'll receive.

Bin wrenchin' on the Yota's since '84
30th anniversary 2014
2000 Tundra SR5 4.7 Ex Cab
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!

Last edited by Tech1984; 01-03-2011 at 05:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech1984 For This Useful Post:
lh4x4 (01-04-2011)
#3 Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Tech1984 - Hey thanks for the reply. I took the wipers off, then the plastic cowl piece, then the wiper motor assembly and finally the lower stamped metal cowl tray.

Disconnected the coil pack connector, removed the 10mm bolt and pulled the coil pack and tube.

But, the plug socket would not go onto the plug as there is an other tube going down to the spark plug and covers the area over the hex nut on the plug.

I could not see how to remove it. It is very securely mounted and will not budge.

I did not force anything and gave up at that point and replaced everything.

I like to do things myself and have a nice set up in my garage to work on cars/motorcycles.

I have never been defeated like this in just replacing spark plugs.

I there another trick that I need to know? It looked to me that maybe the top of what I will call the valve cover may need removal also.

Is it possible that you could advise me on the final step. I have the plugs and the torque specs.

Like you said the Prius plugs will clean themselves and in the 8 weeks since the mpg went from 61 to 45 mpg after only topping the tank off with a little over three gallons added. It has slowly improved to 55 mpg.

It is taking too long and I purchased the plugs to speed things up.

I'm 70 but I enjoy learning about my vehicles and doing the services as I said.

It never threw a code but it was clear that the efficiency of the injectors and plugs went down. A couple of fill ups with injector cleaner got it up 4 mpg right away. That confirmed to me that it was a result of bad fuel.

The gradual improvement after that also confirms that and the fact that the plugs will recover.

Here's a picture of the back of my garage where I putter around. The motorcycle just had an oil cooler install.
#4 Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Official TN Member

Wow, nicely equipped man cave! I'll trade ya.
OK, this is weird. The repair manual is short and sweet on plug removal.
It's just like we talked about, and all it says is use a 14mm plug socket and remove plugs.
I'm sure you tried that, eh? The plug socket I use is about 120mm long for going into these tubes and has never failed me yet. I might need a short extension sometimes, but that's it.
Mine came off one of the tool trucks. Snappy I believe.

The winter blend fuels are causing havoc upon gas stingy Prius owners this time of year. Just thought I'd ad that.

30th anniversary 2014
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!
#5 Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
The 10 uses the 1.8 Corolla motor. I can look directly down into the tube and the shoulder of the plug is covered by the tube curving into the plug right at the point the ceramic goes into the metal part. I have the 14mm thin walled socket and the extension. There just is not anything to go over. Maybe for the 10's they want to try and keep owners from doing anything.

I'm headed out now and before I'm done there will be new plugs if I have to tear the entire motor up.

Here I go. I will post of picture of the tube that covers the spark plug so that you can see how it prevents access to the plug with a socket.
#6 Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Official TN Member

Got those plugs in yet?

'bet I saw half a dozen Prius's sold this weekend. Everyone's out for them MPG's.
Hope you get yours back up to snuff.

30th anniversary 2014
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!
#7 Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Kind of a late response. My computer went down awhile back and I just got it going again. I saw more blue screens than I ever want to see again.

Success with the plugs. It was a strange reason. Over the years my 14mm deep well socket must have dropped or something. It is a 6 six sided socket and was distorted enough not to go over the plug.

The plugs were replaced. Since then I have been getting 58 mpg per tank. The last tank was over 630 miles.

I set a record for a recent 110 mile round trip to Clinton Iowa to try Flavo Flav's Chicken. Don't waste your time. It was dried out and tasteless. I did get 67.3 on the trip.

So the winter blend thing does not impact as much as some say.
#8 Old 03-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Official TN Member

[QUOTE=lh4x4;3502376]Kind of a late response. My computer went down awhile back and I just got it going again. I saw more blue screens than I ever want to see again.

Success with the plugs. It was a strange reason. Over the years my 14mm deep well socket must have dropped or something. It is a 6 six sided socket and was distorted enough not to go over the plug.

The plugs were replaced. Since then I have been getting 58 mpg per tank. The last tank was over 630 miles.

I set a record for a recent 110 mile round trip to Clinton Iowa to try Flavo Flav's Chicken. Don't waste your time. It was dried out and tasteless. I did get 67.3 on the trip.

Whoa!! Nice going. Aunt Hatties southern fried chicken here in Chapel Hill (home of NCstate, YEAH!) ain't all that either. But if you like grease, it's the one for you.

30th anniversary 2014
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!
#9 Old 04-05-2013, 03:25 AM
New TN User

Here is my video on how to remove and install your spark plugs for the 3rd GEN Toyota Prius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vygm7SL8DI0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum