seat comfort - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius Forum The original hybrid from Toyota... the Prius! Discussion area for everything about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Venzoid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
seat comfort

I'm considering a Prius for our next car. I would like to ask if anyone has opinions on the seat comfort of the Prius. Can it be compared to an 05 Corolla (not very comfy), or a Camry? I have a Venza and find it to be quite comfy and better than the 2 I mentioned. Surprisingly, Im not very good at telling if a car is going to be comfortable by just a test drive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Need For Speed

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Personally, I don't find the seats in the Prius to be comfortable at all. There's not much shape to them and the seat support is nearly null. I personally would definitely compare it to a Corolla seat.

I work at a dealership and sit in all sorts of Priuses on a daily basis-and if you make me take a trip in one I won't go

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#3 Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM
TMS Prius Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Given the width of the car, I'd say more Corolla than Camry. The Camry and Venza have the width to allow wider and longer seats. I will say that the 3rd generation Prius seat is more comfortable than the 2nd generation seat (which felt like it was made for a skinny Asian person).

I would wait for the 2012 if you want a power driver's seat (current Prius has a 6-way manually adjustable driver's seat with optional power lumbar support)

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#4 Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Venzoid

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input.

Has anyone tried the Prius "v" yet. Does the "v" mean v or 5? It seems to be larger so maybe it has a different seat?

#5 Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 PM
TMS Prius Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venzoid View Post
Thanks for the input.

Has anyone tried the Prius "v" yet. Does the "v" mean v or 5? It seems to be larger so maybe it has a different seat?
It's the letter "vee" for versatile.

You do sit a bit higher in the v. It's was a pretty unassuming ride from what I can remember back in July when I took a few out for rides around Toyota HQ in Torrance, CA. The seats appear to be the same design but the 3rd gen Prius fits me so I don't really have much issues with the seat that may stand out to someone else of a different height or weight.

The Prius v is 6 inches longer and 1 inch wider with a 3-inch longer wheelbase so it's only bigger in length. The extra width is nice for the back seat as the Prius Liftback doesn't have the same backseat comfort for 3 abreast as a Camry or Venza. It's more akin to a Corolla or Matrix just because it's narrower than the Camry or Venza.

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#6 Old 11-20-2011, 02:13 PM
New TN User

USA v Seats

Every one is different I suppose, I find the seats in the v to be very comfortable and the cabin is roomy. I am 6' and my wife is 5' 10, she drives 90% of the time and is very happy with the v. We traded in an 02 Explorer XLT and the v actually seems roomier up front than the Explorer did. Plenty of room in the back also
We live in snow country so we're having studded snow tires put on it Tuesday. If the snow should get to deep, I have a small 4x4 pickup that gets around in snow quite well.
#7 Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by venzoid View Post
Thanks for the input.

Actually it means both! Toyota used Roman numerals I through V to designate the 2010 Prius versions. Then for some inexplicable reason they decided to call the new 2012 station wagon Prius the Prius v. So now we have a Prius V and a Prius v which are quite different versions of the Gen3 Prius.

Tom
#8 Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Thanked 1,042 Times in 930 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
I own a 2010 Prius III & both my wife & I find the seats very comfortable. I'm 6'2" & 250 lbs & I drove it to LA & back in a quick 72 hour road trip which was 2k miles. I was always comfortable with no complaints.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

#9 Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Venzoid

(Thread Starter)
Well I finally got a chance to test drive a Prius hatchback and a Camry hybrid. I was very pleasantly surprised by the comfort of the Prius seat, though not huge was well contured and supportive. It is higher than a Corolla and the Camry so it is a more upright seating position like a Matrix, and it is very easy to get in and out of, like the Venza or the Prius v. My only complaint about the Camry 2012 is that it is low, not so easy to get these aging bones in and out of.

#10 Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
New TN User

I have a 2010 Prius that I have put about 55K miles on. Driver's seat is nothing to brag about but it does have a few adjustments, in addition to the normal front/back and seat back angle it has a hight adjustment and on the top two trim lines there is a lumbar support that you can inflate or deflate.

I am an average size guy and I can drive it for 500 or 600 miles a day without being to uncomfortable, but I'm always glad to get out and walk around.

Definitely more like a Corolla than a Camry, my friend has a Camry and it has bigger more comfortable seats.

The Prius V (upper case V) is what I have, it means Roman numeral 5. This designation was changed to Prius Five for 2011. Now for 2012 we have the Prius v (lower case v) which stands for versatile. I don't know why they do the things they do?

Tom
#11 Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
New TN User

Just purchased a 2012 IV. Seat is very uncomfortable. Wish I had not bought the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum