Under engine splash guard problem - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Prius Forum The original hybrid from Toyota... the Prius! Discussion area for everything about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Under engine splash guard problem

So I'm coming home from work the other day when our car starts making some strange noises. After getting to a safe place to inspect it I find the oil change access door has come lose at the front! Well I pull it up on the ramps at home and find the front hinge had broken all the way and the front portion of the door drug off. A call to the dealer where it was bought got me a response of: It's a defective part so just remove the rest of it (the door) and it's all good.I know it's a pain in the ass when time for oil changes but it was put there for a reason, besides it has some insulation on it, maybe for keeping and maintaining oil temp in winter? Any way I ask the service guy if I order one can I install it myself and of course he says yes and then I ask him if it will be free of charge, he says of course not. Is it worth raising my blood pressure over this deal, I will not pay for a new one!

roo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
TMS Prius Expert

If you can somehow prove that the dealer didn't put it back properly and that caused it to hang up on something and break off, otherwise it's unfortunate but you'll have to pay for the part (same thing happened on my friend's Prius except the whole underbody cover came off, not just the oil pan cover)

2010 Prius Technology Package (Cdn)
OEM Cargo Mat, OEM All-Weather Mat, LED ext/int lights, 5000K HID, OEM Fogs, Euro Mudguards
#3 Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Official TN Member

A year ago this TSB came out to address this:

T-SB-0032-11
Some 2010 Prius vehicles may exhibit an engine under cover that has warped at the front edge after oil maintenance has been completed. An updated engine under cover is now available to address this condition.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

P# 51410-12103

There are three types of clips:
• 11 plastic to thin metal (Part No: 90467-07201)
• 2 plastic to thinner metal (Part No: 90467-09227)
• 1 plastic to plastic (Part No: 90467-07166)

Bin wrenchin' on the Yota's since '84
30th anniversary 2014
2000 Tundra SR5 4.7 Ex Cab
2010 Camry LE 2.5
Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech1984 For This Useful Post:
Tideland Prius (12-05-2013)
#4 Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thanked 1,025 Times in 914 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
The plastic clips can come loose & fall out. I've had the same thing happen to my 09 Corolla & 10 Prius. When they get loose I replace them with some better clips that I bought a NAPA.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

#5 Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanx guys, the panel was still attached at the back with the little plastic buttons but hanging down in the front as the not so flexible hinge completely broke clean from the rest of the cover. I do my own oil changes so the fact it is gone doesn't completely upset me, the fact that the service guy automatically assumed I hit something and said it wouldn't be covered by warranty is really what pissed me off!

roo
#6 Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thanked 1,025 Times in 914 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve almaraz View Post
Thanx guys, the panel was still attached at the back with the little plastic buttons but hanging down in the front as the not so flexible hinge completely broke clean from the rest of the cover. I do my own oil changes so the fact it is gone doesn't completely upset me, the fact that the service guy automatically assumed I hit something and said it wouldn't be covered by warranty is really what pissed me off!
If you do replace the part I heat up the crease with a heat gun to make it more flexible before bending it back. You should be fine without it though.

89 Supercharged White MR2 MT/09 Corolla S CSM MT/08 Yaris HB MT
94 Corolla DX Red MT/95 Previa S/C White AT/
07 Corolla CE CSM MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl

#7 Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 AM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
^Thanx man, I'll probably just leave it as is, the car has been a real life saver the last few months as my wife and I have been carpooling and leaving my Ram 1500 in the drive way. Need that oil from Canada!

roo
#8 Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM
New TN User

Thumbs down

Same problem wife's 2010 Prius. Dealer was just going to throw that piece away. I suspect it has aerodynamic function at least. I bitched about it (since wife has only had 5 oil changes). There was a recall, but failure happened after warranty. As lame as that is it's not a safety related issue, so they don't have to inform owners. I had them drill four holes on opposite sides of where it formerly hinged and put zip ties through them. I'll probably add a couple more just so it won't be as inclined to catch on something. I guess they've addressed the problem on later models. Lame, but it's $300.00 to replace (since splash guard is all one piece) and Toyota saves big bucks by not stepping up.
The Following User Says Thank You to zerocarbon For This Useful Post:
Ideaman (06-10-2013)
#9 Old 12-04-2013, 09:09 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech1984 View Post
A year ago this TSB came out to address this:

T-SB-0032-11
Some 2010 Prius vehicles may exhibit an engine under cover that has warped at the front edge after oil maintenance has been completed. An updated engine under cover is now available to address this condition.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

P# 51410-12103

There are three types of clips:
• 11 plastic to thin metal (Part No: 90467-07201)
• 2 plastic to thinner metal (Part No: 90467-09227)
• 1 plastic to plastic (Part No: 90467-07166)
I had this same exact thing happen to me. Dealer tech said same thing "you must have hit something". Dealer has been the only ones doing oil changes. Happened with 46K miles. I have Platinum extended warranty. Would this be covered under that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Prius Forum