Hauling with trailer and Highlander Hybrid - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hauling with trailer and Highlander Hybrid

OK, yes, I know, there is a large thread on towing with HiHy and read it several times.
But this time, I have a bit different question.
My HIHy is dealer equipped with towing everything.
I am at crossroads. I either need to go and buy a beater property hauling truck, or consider towing trailer with bark or topsoil with HiHy.
We need to haul maybe a yard of topsoil at a time, two yards of bark. Plenty of 3500lb rated trailers on craigslist.
My question is - tongue load. I already towed a stump grinder on its trailer with HiHy, and car did well. Thing is, entire rear end crouched quite a bit. So I am sort of afraid to overdo with tongue load.
Surely, there are 2 axle trailers that are less loading the hitch, but they are heavy by themselves and I am afraid to cross out of rated 3500lb capacity. And where I live, I have to go up decent grade from whichever side I approach property.
Sooo... anyone has a utility trailer and hauls stuff like this with HyHi?

NEW HYBRID OWNER FAQ ANSWERED HERE:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ease-read.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Resident Nutcase

Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,423 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Honestly, you'll likely damage the neck of a 3.5k rated trailer before you damage the HYHL due to tongue weight. But if you really want something to level out the car a little, get inserts, its what I did.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...s-install.html

Considering I've used them to pull trailers with 625lb tongue weights + 5 people in the car also weighing on the axle, I've had zero issues. Below is with the 626lb, and its barely squatting.

Click Here for the Full List of Mods Done to My Highlander ---->>> 2008 FWD Highlander Limited
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ah, the coil inserts.
Back in 'ol country they used to take a rubber doughnut off tank roller and laith those inserts out of them. Tank rubber is about as strong as it goes, will outperform any foam or polyurethane.
There is only one observation I need to make. That is a two axle trailer. It is sort of balanced on axles. With single axle trailer, won't it be more tongue load because it is a single point weight load on axle?
I also like how you noted that you should have bought a 4Runner for what you need. THAT makes sense.
here's unfortunate truth about my dilemma.
I used my HiHy as a truck for about 4 months, when we moved winter of 2016. Then hauled lumber and stuff in it. I, actually, sold a Silverado, bought Ridgeline, sold Ridgeline and bought HiHy because on old property, I was OK with HiHy as tower/hauler. But, as the result, signs of interior damage are showing. So no more.
But now I have 6 acres, 25% wetland. Suddenly, even my wife said - well, we need a truck.
Bummer. We already have 3 cars. TCH, HiHy and her RX350. Fast did I find that finding a 4x4 beater truck (wetland!) is rather challenging and bought a 94 4x4 K1500 - that turned to be so frame rusted that I am sitting waiting on title to come in to sell it.
So here I am. I am stuck with that truck for 2 months, till title shows. Will rather be ridiculous to go buy another beater. Spring is here, hauling is right around the corner. So either haul with HiHy, or rent truck, or pay someone. And the way property is, places I will have to go in in wetland are rather not for a nice car like HiHy.
But to sum up.... You think I should be fine hauling a yard of topsoil or two of bark? On a single axis trailer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2017, 07:07 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My 2010 tows this 2700 lbs single axle trailer with no issues on flat land for shorter trips. We use a GMC Canyon for longer trips and mountains. The tongue weight is probably 400- 500 lbs(+cooler, dogs and camping junk in the truck)and the front end only goes up a Quarter inch, while the body in the back only lowers a half inch. I am careful to distribute the weight in the trailer so more is in the front than the back. The highlander actually pulls a little better because the extra weight in the rear from being an SUV keeps it a little more smooth/grounded. The Canyon is more powerful with 7000 lbs capacity and we mostly use that for the longer trips because I'm afraid long trips or trips that include any sort of mountain will wear down the CVT transmission and overwork the hybrid transaxle or differential.
free picture upload
image upload

Last edited by Beachguysc; 03-18-2017 at 07:14 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for sharing. I have a small trailer that is set on RV axle. 8 leaf spring. It's a home made trailer, problem with it is it has very short hitch ball receiver arm.
Reason I am asking all this is I can easily load a yard of topsoil into that trailer or 1.5 of bark. That's all I need to haul ever so often. Yard of topsoil is about 1800 lb. Plus trailer.
Simply trying to figure if it will be OK. I love this car, don't want to hurt it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid