No rear brakes - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
No rear brakes

Howdy all.
I have read a lot of different brake issues here, but not one covering mine. I noticed that my rear rotors were continually rusty. Upon inspection I realized that the calipers were seized up. Purely out of time and convenience I opted to put new calipers on along with rotors and pads.
I bled the brake as I always have. I have since learned here that I goofed that up, as they need to be bled electronically. Anyhow, when I bled them I first let them gravity bleed. Then with pressure. When I opened the nipple under pressure, nothing more than a steady drip came out...both sides. I believe that triggered all the warning lights that other people here have experienced.
I used the jumper technique to check and clear out the VSC warning. I checked the number of flashes as well and the ABS light flashed a sequence of 2 then 5 flashes. How do I look up what that means? Anyway it cleared out and hasn't come on since.
After a few hundred miles since, the rotors still are as new and not scuffed at all. No pad streaks and obviously not working. I now believe that they haven't for a very long time. My front brakes seem to be working just fine. In fact everything seems to be just as it was before I changed anything...including bleeding them wrong.
Does anybody have any input for any of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Yep.
Go to dealer, pay $150 and have brakes properly bled.
Or, get Techstream s/w and Mongus Toyota cable and do a must thing - bleed brakes using Techstream.

NEW HYBRID OWNER FAQ ANSWERED HERE:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ease-read.html

post #3 of 4 Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok, so do you believe that electronic bleed will change the rear brakes from doing nothing to proper function? If so should I assume that the previous owner bled improperly and that is why they seem to have been nonfunctional for quite a while? Any reason to believe there is a bigger issue? Could this be related to the VCS 45 recall issue I read on a recent thread? Also, where can look up what the flash sequence of the abs light means when I jumped diog input? Lots of questions, I know. but Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
It has nothing to do with what i believe. Thing is, brakes are by wire. Braking force is applied by brake actuator. So when brakes are bled, valves and such in actuator and accumulator must be moved in order to do proper bleed. Can't help, it's rather extensive procedure that requires a special software. Personally, for the sake of safety and peace of mind, $150 is well spent.

NEW HYBRID OWNER FAQ ANSWERED HERE:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ease-read.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid