consider this high-mileage HiHy, if you would! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

2Likes
  • 2 Post By babycat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
consider this high-mileage HiHy, if you would!

hey gang! grateful to be aboard, as i'm quite focussed on getting into a 2006 or 2007 HiHy.

apropos of Andrea's 'battery' thread below, i thought i'd refrain from hijacking it completely, and posit my circumstance here.

one of my best HiHy candidates has 170,000 miles on it. my current Toyota product is running happily at 220K, so i do have some confidence in general, but am inexperienced with the HiHy.

this li'l guy comes from a real nice neighborhood and has mostly done the rush hour freeway commute of 90 miles/day. much of that is stop and go... so i figure an even mix of electric and ICE.

there's a long record of proper maintenance, oil changes every 6000 miles and the car looks remarkably fresh. the car has been serviced by their regular mechanic, who i see has five-star reviews on Yelp, and the car has been inspected by another mechanic who has provided a detailed report, all the way down to the windshield wipers. apparently neither of the mechanics can estimate remaining life of the traction battery.

i may be willing to gamble on the traction battery, as there is a hybrid tech in my neighborhood with a very good reputation. he has done Prius battery swaps for $600-$1800 either by individual cels or by the entire pack, and includes warranties.

in recent months, they had done the following work:
timing belt / water pump (preventive measure)
12 volt battery (third one over the life of the car)
radiator replaced
spark plugs / coil packs

apparently the mechanical aspect of the brakes were overhauled a few years ago.

this car is in the best overall shape (to the eye) of the three that i am considering. i'm getting very good communication from the owner, who seems conscientious.

it's a Limited model, and i could get it for $5500, maybe less. i don't mind doing some more preventive replacements, due to the low cost of entry. but i *do* like to go on long trips and don't want to get stuck in the desert for too long!

whaddya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
well i'm glad no one is trying to talk me out of it, cuz i bought it!

amazing condition and quality for $5000.

this was built in July 2006... running the VIN at the T recall site brings up no pending recalls. does anyone know if there's a way that you can tell if earlier recall work has been done? my only concern is that the inverter behaves for the long haul.

i can't believe i'm actually getting 32 MPG!
this is with 65% freeway driving too. at least that's what the display is telling me.

cheers!
HATEnFATE and Beachguysc like this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on your purchase. I had a 2006 hybrid. Great vehicle. I would take it to your local dealer and get an oil change or some sort of cheap service. While you are waiting, your service rep can look up the vehicle history within the toyota system. My 2006 had the inverter recall.

2017 Hybrid Limited Platinum -Black/Almond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
hey, thanks! i like that idea - i do have a well-loved hybrid mechanic in my neighborhood that i'm happy to have met, but it could be worth meeting a local T service manager and getting the official history. despite having a Scion with 200,000 miles, i've never been to a toyota dealer for service!

i'm on a 1200 mile tour right now and it's been wonderfully smooth and comfy. the comfort on dirt roads is unreal (yeah, i'm coming from a scion xb...). confidence is building that this is gonna be a great car for my myriad needs! have been indulging in the V6 a lot more on this trip... and some 80 mph speed limits... so mpg is down to 24-25. considering what a luxury cruiser this is, i find that acceptable.

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid