Is my HiHY at the end of its life? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Japan Is my HiHY at the end of its life?

Hi all,

I have not been here for a while now enjoying long rides to beach on my 2006 HiHy. It's been well on track to reach 300,000 miles when suddenly the problems started.

First, the radiator gave up 250 miles away from home. I was able to find a mechanic locally and replace it.

Then, a month later, the car lost power on the highway. Towed to the same mechanic and he found that the timing belt broke. He replaced the belt but now I have new issues.

1) the CEL keeps coming on with P0016 code, Crankshaft position/camshaft position, bank 1 sensor A
2) VSC., ABS, antiskid and parking break warnings are all lit up

The ABS is apparently disabled and I can notice that regen braking is not working properly. The hybrid battery is losing power fast and keeps recharging at each start.

My mechanic believes that ABS unit has failed and needs to be replaced although I have not noticed much difference driving or breaking.

What are my options? Is there a way of checking ABS controller, get rid of the warning lights and so on. Please advise.

2011 HiHY Ltd (CURRENT RIDE)
2010 HiHY Ltd (sold)
2006 HiHY Ltd (255,890m, FOR SALE)
2005 Prius (transferred)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2017, 03:44 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh man! sorry to hear that. hopefully the cam and/or crank weren't damaged from the timing belt failure, though it's possible. had the mechanic said anything about that?

the belt keeps several engine components in sync, and according to the code, things are out of sync:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford

i'm afraid that's all i know. i'm new here...

i'm curious - when was the last time the timing belt had been changed?

good luck! i would think it would be worth doing the ABS/regen work, if you can confirm that the cam and crank in the engine are ok.

Last edited by babycat; 06-08-2017 at 03:53 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-08-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I'm not aware of the cam or crank being damaged but the error doesn't go away.

As the the ABS warning lights, I know that ABS and regen brakes are working fine b/c I feel it very well. I also watch the Energy Monitor and it shows all the energy transfers between the engine, wheels, electric motor and the batteries. There is maybe a slight decrease in mpg but that's b/c I'm not driving all day, just to and fro work.

My mechanic is against me clearing the ABS codes with the OBD tweak and he says ABS may work for now but may fail at any time. I can't really make sense out of it but will keep driving it as long as I can. Just love my HiHY

2010 HiHY Ltd (sold)
2005 Prius (transferred)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2017, 06:28 PM
New TN User

Another idea is to check the lead acid battery. Sometimes the dying battery will give the ABS, VTC warning lights. I thought the engine is one of the noninterference type where broken belt doesn't damage the engine?? Frequent recharging could be another sight of start up battery dying.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgang1 View Post
Another idea is to check the lead acid battery. Sometimes the dying battery will give the ABS, VTC warning lights. I thought the engine is one of the noninterference type where broken belt doesn't damage the engine?? Frequent recharging could be another sight of start up battery dying.
You are right. The battery needs to be replaced. Can anyone confirm if HiHy engine is a noninterference type.

I just got myself a beautiful and loaded 2011 HiHy Ltd ... please welcome her to the forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 HiHy.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	129866  

2010 HiHY Ltd (sold)
2005 Prius (transferred)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 PM
New TN User

I got a 2006 Lexus RX400h. When I look up the timing belt manufacturer's site, the engine is listed as noninterference type. Toyota didn't change the engine much in 2011, so yours should be the same type. Clear the codes, and see if it will pop up again. If you have a scan tool that will save the error code history, so much the better. I got a bluetooth ODBII scan tool at Amazon, and downloaded an App to clear the codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid