Torque steer by heavy acceleration 2017 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid!

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pickapooly
  • 1 Post By ukrkoz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-07-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Torque steer by heavy acceleration 2017

I'm the new owner of 2017 Highlander XLE Hybrid . love everything on this car but noticed that by heavy acceleration it is asking to hold the steering wheel in the correct position. I'm not the person that races this car, but had a situation that I needed to floor it to avoid an accident. I have simulated it a couple of times and it does it every time any body else has this experienced ?

childexpression.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-09-2017, 07:26 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickapooly View Post
I'm the new owner of 2017 Highlander XLE Hybrid . love everything on this car but noticed that by heavy acceleration it is asking to hold the steering wheel in the correct position. I'm not the person that races this car, but had a situation that I needed to floor it to avoid an accident. I have simulated it a couple of times and it does it every time any body else has this experienced ?
I haven't but then I'm still in the break in mode so no hard acceleration yet.

But I have read about torque steer with the Hybrid in a review by Car and Driver from last Oct:

http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/highlander

It also had a disconcerting torque-steer issue. Toyota engineers attributed this to calibration of the electrically assisted power-steering system in the preproduction example we drove; its anti-torque-steer logic had not yet been finalized, they said. It should be fixed before the hybrid reaches showrooms.

Guess it wasn't fixed.

2017 Highlander Hybrid XLE Alumina Jade Metallic
post #3 of 9 Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd123 View Post
I haven't but then I'm still in the break in mode so no hard acceleration yet.

But I have read about torque steer with the Hybrid in a review by Car and Driver from last Oct:

http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/highlander

It also had a disconcerting torque-steer issue. Toyota engineers attributed this to calibration of the electrically assisted power-steering system in the preproduction example we drove; its anti-torque-steer logic had not yet been finalized, they said. It should be fixed before the hybrid reaches showrooms.

Guess it wasn't fixed.
Thanks for that link. I did some further testing when it occurred, I took it on a straight stretch road and floored it and noticed that it is still present (minimum) but when I repeated it on a curved road it was very noticeable. It gave the same feeling in the steering wheel when the line departure is engaged but did not make any difference when it was turned off. Shortly after I bought the vehicle I replaced new 19" rims and tires and noticed this morning after driving with new tires about 600 K's that the tire warning light came on. I checked the pressure and in all tires it was 30 PSI. I contacted the supplier and was told it should be 35 PSI. nitrogen. now with the correct pressure it seems to be way better but is still noticeable.
lloyd123 likes this.

childexpression.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Huh. I enjoy that torque steer. Donno what Toyota engineers say, it's torque steer. Asymmetric driveaxles. One shorter transfers torque faster, one longer, though it has intermediate shaft, lags behind.
But, personally, I like it! Every time I floor mine - and I do! - reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson testing some sport car. HiHy has lots of torques due to electric motors involved.
Beachguysc likes this.

NEW HYBRID OWNER FAQ ANSWERED HERE:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ease-read.html

post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
3rd Generation Torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Huh. I enjoy that torque steer. Donno what Toyota engineers say, it's torque steer. Asymmetric driveaxles. One shorter transfers torque faster, one longer, though it has intermediate shaft, lags behind.
But, personally, I like it! Every time I floor mine - and I do! - reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson testing some sport car. HiHy has lots of torques due to electric motors involved.
Thanks for your comment here is a link explaining details with the effect of torque steer in details .www.aa1car.com
Under torque steer , you are correct that the diffent length of drive shafts could be one of the problems but also noticed that
That torque steer is most likely not present for car with less than appr. 200 hp. Lander over 300 hp, I, did not had this problem with my RAV 4
2016 hybrid limited that to my opinion has the same configuration as the Highlander? you mentioned that you like it , but personally I don't and I think it is fair to say that inexperienced drivers will have a hand full to correct it when it occurred especially on wet roads . Pickapooly

childexpression.com
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 PM
2017_Highlander Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the 2017 Platinum Limited, same issue, lots of torque steer under heavy acceleration.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Supreme Member
Garage
Yep. Lots of horses and torques. Like or not - it's actually quite a sporty vehicle.
As far as I know, overall power train layout is same for conventional and hybrid models.
If you want NO torque steer, buy Subaru. Symmetric 4WD. Dead smack on center of the vehicle. They have hybrid available.
Honestly, not that HiHy burns rubber and goes sidewise under acceleration. Attentive driver that knows it's coming, should easily control minor tail whip.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2017, 06:12 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yep. Lots of horses and torques. Like or not - it's actually quite a sporty vehicle.
As far as I know, overall power train layout is same for conventional and hybrid models.
If you want NO torque steer, buy Subaru. Symmetric 4WD. Dead smack on center of the vehicle. They have hybrid available.
Honestly, not that HiHy burns rubber and goes sidewise under acceleration. Attentive driver that knows it's coming, should easily control minor tail whip.
Subaru dropped their only hybrid for the 2017 model year.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...017-model-year

2017 Highlander Hybrid XLE Alumina Jade Metallic
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Supreme Member
Garage
Yeah, hybrids are tough sale now. Gas is kept low, electrical models proliferate like mushrooms after rain and get better and better..... Hybrids steadily become passe....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Highlander Hybrid