Installing a factory satellite radio in a Highlander - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Toyota Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota. The Highlander hybrid!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View brucep's Photo Gallery
Installing a factory satellite radio in a Highlander

Hi all,

At long last I've written up what it took me to install a Sirius satellite radio in my '06 Highlander Hybrid with NAV option. As has been mentioned elsewhere the Toyota satellite kit for the Camry can be installed in the Highlander with very little in the way of modifications. Instructions, including photos, can be found on my website.

Although these instructions are specifically for the Sirius satellite radio I assume that you can also install an XM radio the same way with little or no change in the instructions. (If anybody has installed XM this way and want's to provide more details I'll be glad to add them to this page.) This should also work for 'regular' Highlanders as well as hybrids. The only requirement for this method is the NAV option.

-Bruce
brucep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View Pushback's Photo Gallery
I would like to install an XM and not Sirius radio System. CAn you tell me if you have any information on the XM system? I would like it to install in the GPS system I currently have. I have a 2006 Hylander Hybrid.

Thank-you
Pushback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View brucep's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushback
I would like to install an XM and not Sirius radio System. CAn you tell me if you have any information on the XM system? I would like it to install in the GPS system I currently have. I have a 2006 Hylander Hybrid.
I assume it should be just as easy as the Sirius install that I documented. If you want to do it all yourself then just contact your Toyota dealer and ask them for the XM kit for a Camry instead of the Sirius kit. You can grab the Sirius part # off my website and just go to the dealer and say you want the same thing only the XM version.

Or if you prefer you can simply buy the radio and everything else you'll want/need (including full instructions) for about $100 more at http://www.factoryinteractive.com

-Bruce
brucep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View chasin_dwight's Photo Gallery
I bought the PTS31-00052 receiver and PTS31-00051 fit kit along with the sirius mini antenna. I took my highlander hybrid to have sirius installed and it plays but the display says "audio off" and you can only change stations with the tuner knob. Nothing shows up on nav screen and AM button doesn't show anything. Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated.
chasin_dwight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View Joey36's Photo Gallery
I have the 2006 Toyota Highlander with the navigation system and the jbl upgraded cd player. Bruce can you tell me the stereo that you have in your Toyota Highlander, because Toyota is saying thd sirius connect tuner is not compatabile with jbl stereo. Your response is much appreciated.

Joe
Joey36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View imaestro's Photo Gallery
My 6 cd changer is stuck with CD's in it. The radio and cassette deck work. To my dismay, since I have the 2003 Limited with the premium sound, with built in JBL speakers and a JBL amplifier. I've been told that I just can’t go out and get a Sony, Kenwood, Alpine or any of those off the shelf say at a local discount store, because they say that they would have to charge me $75 more to re-rout the wiring and that the speakers would never make it sound as good as what I have because the speakers would also need to be changed because the amplifier couldn’t be used and if I did, it would blow the amp.

Is there any way for me to get a nice updated unit and not have to change speakers and still get decent sound? I am a music teacher and want decent sound.

Need some help here. I probably could pop out the one in the Highlander now with some directions that I found on the internet.
imaestro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View jaredjo's Photo Gallery
Satellite Radio

Hi, I am anew HH 07 owner and my husband just got me XM radio - its awesome, but it was not a DIY project - we took it somewhere and its a unit that integrates with the nav system - so it just adds satellite through AM- So when you're cycling through, there is AM1, AM2 and AM3 which are all satellite stations (and AM4 which is the real AM). Between that and the 6 CD changer, I have too much music. Its great!

I will say though that this was not cheap. But its great to have it integrated, and no clunky units sticking out the way it is in my husband's car.
jaredjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View gvangrie's Photo Gallery
Installing XM Radio by Someone Else

Can you let me know where you took your 07 Highlander to have the XM radio feature installed. I don't know of any places in the Bay Area where that could be done, and since you live in Oakland, it must be nearby.

Thanks.
gvangrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View jaredjo's Photo Gallery
XM in Oakland

California Custom Car Radio in Oakland - on Broadway and approximately 30th...Broadway is Oakland's Auto Row.
jaredjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View diabolic's Photo Gallery
I recently bought a 2007 Limited HiHY, but it didn't have XM. I bought the SLX unit from Vaistech.com and went to Best Buy, bought the Terk XMDirect receiver and had them install both. The Vaistech SLX works through the NAV screen and by pressing my "AM" button I can cycle through AM, SAT1, SAT2, and SAT3. Just like having factory XM installed.
diabolic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Toyota Highlander Hybrid