12 Volt Battery Problems - Page 5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Toyota Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota. The Highlander hybrid!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Given the response and the outrageous pricing you're better off going independent.
1) you have over 4 years on the battery already, and your 12volt system is out of warranty. Whatever warranty is left would have been significantly pro-rated, and they will add admin fees, and I love Bush fees, and you'll end up paying for a full battery anyways.
2) he quoted you $500 for battery. BMW specific battery costs $250 from dealer, and its significantly larger, designed to be mounted in truck (vented tubes and such) and much higher capacity. So, assuming the panasonic battery is an advanced battery, or because of the special Toyota badge, its $250 for battery. That leaves $250 for labor to remove old battery, and insert new battery. So over 2 hours to change battery. I would question their competence and honesty.

My advice, run far far away from that stealership, and find someone else more honest. Write a letter to Toyota NA, post a blog printing out the quote, and call BBB for the outrageous price for battery exchange. Call other Toyota dealership to find out how much it cost for them to replace a battery.

Like Jeff said, battery under hood don't need vent tubes. But if you did it already, you're ahead of the game. Its like building a house out of reinforced concrete, encased in titanium, surrounded by electrified fence, armed with missiles. Completely over done, but doesn't hurt.
$500 dollars for the battery is a joke. We just replaced the 12V battery on our '06 HiHy about 6 months ago and it was $100 bucks installed at the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 AM
New TN User

2010 Hybrid Battery Problem

I have resorted to carrying a rechargable portable jump start (with air compressor and light) that I picked up from Costco when I noticed that was what the AAA road rescue was carrying (they gave me a jump start).

I've had this problem about 8-10 times. I have not replaced the battery (yet). I agree that the car is not started from the 12 volt battery. I had "jumped" the car multiple times from this portable battery and when I went to recharge it, it said the portable jump start battery said it was fully charged. That got me scratching my head - how can this be? I've had it sitting in the car for months used it 3 times and when I used it, the Hybrid doesn't seem to draw down the jumpstart battery at all but it does start the car just fine. So this is a good remedy to the security of not being stranded when skiing or camping but... jeeze!

I read the forum, I'll get a new battery with plenty of amps.
I also was not able to jump start someone else's vehicle with the HiHy but I suppose that is for another thread. (However, I do now carry the Portable jump start so I can help others with that too.)

Clearly, the vehicle does not give my wife a feeling of security that she will not be stranded. The Costco portable jumper gives her the security. If you need security and confidence your vehicle will start, don't recommend a Highlander Hybrid until Toyota acknowledges the problem and fixes it. I love the vehicle but I no longer recommend it to my co-workers and friends for the "security" factor - and that is the most important feature for a family vehicle.

Sorry Toyota, I love your quality normally but you got this one wrong and we all look forward to seeing it addressed.

09 Highlander Hybrid Ltd, silver, moonroof, tow pkg, front and rear auto air, rack & crossbars, backup camera, power rear hatch, mud guards, cold weather pkg, alarm & engine immobilizer, JBL 6 disc, bluetooth, 7yr/125K Extended wrnty, 3rd row, No Nav but Garmin 885t voice Nav. Thule Atlantis cargo
#63 Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotasForever View Post
Lisa,

Let me preface this with two points:

1. I'm sorry you had to trade out of your HiHy. I have dealt with Toyota Corporate's Cust. Service Reps. on this very issue, and I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I also realize this is now immaterial to you, as you have traded out of your SUV, but I feel your efforts were laudable and that others may be in the same boat, so I am answering your request for CASE NUMBERS.

2. I'm an auto enthusiast and have worked for both domestic and foreign (luxury) auto dealers and National Headquarters, in SERVICE and Customer Service. I also do much of my own automotive repairs, so I'm a fairly-informed a

Unexplained 12volt Battery Discharge
Toyota Case Number 090XXXXXXX
(I actually do have my complete CASE NUMBER, but I am hesitant to post the full number, for privacy reasons. But I WILL consider making the Case Number available, to anyone who needs it, if they PM me.)

Our 2009 HiHy Ltd. came home from the dealer, and we did not drive it for a week or more.

However, during the first day or two of this, the 12v battery (under the hood, which Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, calls the "auxiliary" battery), WENT DEAD. Why they call it the "auxillary battery" makes NO sense, as the ICE NEEDS this battery, as does every other gasoline-powered vehicle on the road, so that there is nothing "auxiliary" about it.

Having purchased a $2,000. factory warranty which included a Roadside Assistance Progam, I immediately searched the 500+page manual for the RAP number. Not there.

Then I went online but, despite a broadband connection, I could not find the RAP number.

Then I poured over our $2,000. factory warranty documents--no RAP number.

Then I called the Toyota Cust. Assistance number--closed, as of 9pm EST.

Then I found a number for the Hawaiian Toyota Customer Service, which was still being answered. I received their blessing to trickle charge the battery.

I charged it for 8+ hours--, after being told I could charge it until the "sight window" on the battery indicated it was fully charged, even if this took 8+ hours or more. Yet despite this, the "blue eye" did not appear in the State of Charge indicator on the battery-top itself.

I called the dealer's Monday. After failing to listen accurately, despite my detailed explanation, and thinking I needed a "jumpstart" the Service Writer told me I could trickle charge it as long as I needed to, to get the sight window to turn blue.

I'm leaving out my conversation with Toyota Corporate's Customer Service Reps. I will document those at a future date. For now, suffice to say that the Rep tried to tell me the RAP number was in the manual, then put me on hold to check, and had to admit the number is not published in the manual. When I asked why, she said:

"We'll, we use a third party vendor, and if we ever switch, and had to change the number, we don't want to have given out the wrong info."

This is ridiculous, and I told them as much, pointing out that they could mail out stickers for people to place over the old number, giving the new, updated number, IF this even became an issue. The statements made by the Rep went downhill from there....
--------------------------------------------

gman2

This is MUCH appreciated!

Thank you for the TSB, gman! If anyone knows where the text of such bulletins are, that would be very helpful too.

All the best,

ToyotasForever
ToyotasForever, here is a link to the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b34129/
The summary states:
2008 Toyota Highlander Engine And Engine Cooling Service Bulletin 34129

NHTSA: Action Number: 10022729 Service Bulletin Number: 34129
  • Report Date:
    Aug 25, 2007
  • Component:
    Engine And Engine Cooling
Summary: Isc learning procedure. When the battery is disconnected or lower than 7 volts, it is necessary to perform the isc learning procedure to get it back to idle speed control.

09 Highlander Hybrid Ltd, silver, moonroof, tow pkg, front and rear auto air, rack & crossbars, backup camera, power rear hatch, mud guards, cold weather pkg, alarm & engine immobilizer, JBL 6 disc, bluetooth, 7yr/125K Extended wrnty, 3rd row, No Nav but Garmin 885t voice Nav. Thule Atlantis cargo
#64 Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM
New TN User

I got on the forum to post about my battery issues with my 08hyhi, SO happy to see we are not alone. Strange thing is it didnt seem to be an issue for the first 6 months and then I ran the battery dead once listining to music while fixing the GPS. Freaked me out as it wouldnt start and said check ABS brakes and all sorts of crazy messages (actually I had a post about it). Ever since then it seems as though it hasnt been the same. This is our DAILY driver and the battery dies once every couple weeks it seems. I have done 3 trips to the dealer and they just say i dont know everything looks fine. Its such a pain to be down to one car and they wont give me a rental unless its "safety" related... SO yeah, NO clue what the battery drain is coming from, we always check doors and dome lights once its charged up to see if we left it open and almost every time we find nothing - VERY frustrating.
So are we all in the same boat, waiting for them to admit a problem or recall, anything we can do? Anyone put in a larger amperage battery and have that be a fix?
ALmost seems as if (in my case) once the battery got too low to start it - it jacked up the electronics and on occasion it decides to drain the battery doing "something". VERY tough to diagnose though, pretty random no rhyme or reason and we have been EXTREMELY diligent on what does/doesnt happen to diagnose...no luck.
How can I help get us some help?
#65 Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 PM
New TN User

Also, wondering if
TSB Number:03707NHTSA Number:10022729TSB Date:August 25, 2007
is still valid? On a 2008 hyhi, if the battery is disconnected does the ISC need to be recalibrate? I will say I think my mileage has gone down (based off the fist 6mo of having the car). Do I just need to tell the toyota dealer this TSB and they can do the rest?
#66 Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 PM
New TN User

Here are my work arounds. I picked up the same portable jumpstart my AAA driver used from Costco. The Powerstation PSX.
so we had our built in jumpstart. But it never drained the PSX battery. I didnt need to recharge it. When I had to jump too many times, I started searching the internet. Lots of people said get a new 12 volt battery so I did. Costco's battery was rated highest with consumer reports this year for amps and cold crank and is about $60 to boot. (in Oregon). It's been a month. No problems yet. Some love the Optimal battery but others were disappointed. It looked pretty avg. To consumer reports.

My wife is happy so I'm happy but I check back in a year from now and let you know if my joy lasted.

#67 Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
New TN User

What battery have you all replaced yours with with success? I bought one at Costco but it was the same size (500cca) so I returned it. Then went to advance auto parts and they had a 650cca for $230 (yellow top) and then realized it wouldnt fit, they had another yelllow top ones that was only 180 but it was only 450cca so I left with the same POS toyota 500cca battery.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Another thing I noticed recently on our 08 with bad battery issues. sometimes if you just turn it off and back on 4 or 5 times and then it would start (after giving the random check brake error messages etc).
#68 Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
New TN User

I am using a Costco battery. Problem has not reappeared after about 2 months. We went in 4 the 30k checkup and dealer told my wife the other battery had a 3 year warranty. I still have it the battery but I saw others post that the dealer will ck and will tell you its ok, we were tired of her getting scared of being stuck. It has been as low as 13 degrees. And we no longer have inside lights come on automatically (turned that off after the 3rd time stranded). Can't recommend our HIHY until they fix the battery problem. It's a big deal for us.

#69 Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
New TN User

Plus, ck the consumer reports article, there is more to measure than cca. That surprised me too. Good luck. If you are gong with a different brand, ease post after a year of success or if you expierence a problem

#70 Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
New TN User

12v car battery replacement

I need your opinion/suggestion on this.

I jumped start my 4yr old HH 2days ago...currently, its voltage reading is around 12.4v. I've checked the battery indicator and it needs charging.

Do I really need to replace the battery?

If I need to..I'm looking at the everstart battery w/c walmart sell, anyone here tried it? will it fit in the car battery area?

Thanks!

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited, Ice-Amethyst Mica
#71 Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Official TN Member

the folks on the Lexus RX400h site basically chalk this up to crappy batteries from manufacturor. Suggest replacing with Walmart or Costco...The RX400h uses a 51 series battery (pretty small) But from what I read they suggest dumping the original after 3 to 5 years and replacing with aftermarket. I know Sams club sells the everstart 51 series for around $65 with a 3 year 100% warranty and prorated to 84 months after the three years. And at least Sams wont give you a hard time when replacing the battery.

Last edited by lenore; 03-09-2011 at 05:34 PM.
#72 Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 PM
New TN User

I've only had this happen to me one time so far, however I have a multitude of other problems.

I had driven the car a couple of times during the day and parked at a friends for a couple of hours. The car wouldn't start! No lights on, etc. It was an amazingly easy jump, and after reading some of these threads, I see why. When I took it to the dealer, they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about... the battery tested fully functional. Upon another trip to the dealer, I requested that they look into the issue again, but to no avail.

I have a CEL issue with my car. The ignition coils seem to misfire often and Toyota does not have any explanation. I'm talking...6 times I've been to the dealer in the last two months! They are now calling out the big guns from CA and Japan! I'm done and wish they would just take my lemon back!
#73 Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Official TN Member

You know I am not sure about these hybrids...do they get their voltage for the computer from the 12volt battery? If so think of this scenario, what if the voltage is dropping intermittantly below 7.2 volts and that is also causing your missfires....just a thought...Maybe just replace the 12volt battery and quit messing around, and see if the missfires go away....
#74 Old 06-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Official TN Member

recco

Guys

Which non Toyota battery would you recommend? I left my car with my brother in CA BAY area (Santa Clara) and he had to call someone to jump start it.. Its day 1 since I left the 2007 HiHy with him and he had to deal with dead battery right on day 1. This happened only once before about 7 months back when my wife parked it outside a store in LA.

anyway to make long story short I want to recommend a battery replacement for my brother. He doesnt know how to replace so I would prefer a place which installs for free if you buy from them like pepboys in Santa Clara area..

Please read this thread
#75 Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Do you feel lucky?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Thanked 4,765 Times in 3,321 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsweeps View Post
I want to recommend a battery replacement for my brother. He doesnt know how to replace so I would prefer a place which installs for free if you buy from them like pepboys in Santa Clara area..
Interstate batteries, FTW! They're typically not sold at the major retailers, and instead various repair shops or local parts stores. You can check on their web site for dealers in you area.

-------------------------

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Toyota Highlander Hybrid