How to reset Check engine and VSC warning lights - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Toyota Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota. The Highlander hybrid!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View JSTCD's Photo Gallery
How to reset Check engine and VSC warning lights

Resetting maintenance lights:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check Engine Light:
Use scan gauge, check for error codes then clear.
Or
  1. Turn ignition to 'ACC'
  2. Press the odometer button until the display reads actual mileage... not Trip A or B.
  3. Turn ignition off.
  4. Press and hold Hold odometer button, then while holding button in turn car ON
  5. Hold for a few seconds. Next time you start car, light should be off.
Note: If you turn on the car.
then pres and hold the odometer button within 6sec
while holding the button down fasten your seatbelt within 10sec,
Then you can enter a nifty mode which will allow you to turn off the seatbelt alarm.

Hybrid system warning: Can be cleared with scangauge

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check VSC system warning:

Scangauge cannot read these error codes, nor reset this light.

It would appear that regen braking, traction control, and posibly some anti rollover control is dissabled if this warning light is on. So it is both fuel inneficient and possibly dangerous to drive with this light on.

First find the obd computer plug, under the dash, near your left knee, where your scanguage plugs in.
Turn car OFF.
Use a paper clip or wire to jump TC to CG.
TC is on the top shorter row, 4th pin starting from left
CG is bottom longer row, 5th pin starting from left
See diagram:

__/_@_@_@_TC_@_@_@_@_\
_/__@_@_@_@_CG_@_@_@__\

Note: I saw some posts when researcing this suggesting a jump between TS and CG. (TS is just to the left of TC ie 3rd pin). While this may/may not work on some Toyotas. On the HIHI this doesn't seem to do anything other than cause a Hybrid System Warning to be thrown. So don't.

Once the jumper is in place, To read your VSC error codes:
  1. Turn car to ON, you should see the message "VSC DIAG".It will read "VSC DIAG OK" if there are no codes.
  2. Brake warning lights will go off for 4s, then start to flash. Count the flashes, these are the error codes that caused the light to come on. They may be real, and something may need to be fixed. If the car really is broken, just resetting the light won’t do much, as it will soon trip again.
If the brake lights continually flash, then there are no codes and the display should read: "VSC DIAG OK"
Once the jumper is in place, To reset you VSC error codes and lights:
  1. turn car on.
  2. Press the bakes (enough to make the tail lights come on, not all they way) and release 8 times. Once you have done it enough times the display will change to "VSC DIAG OK"
Remember to remove jumper wire when done.
You must complete the 8 presses within 5 seconds

I needed to do this after changing my brake pads caused this error to flag. Very neat. I suspect there are other diagnostic modes that could be found.

As always, sometimes error lights get thrown for no reason, just clear them and don't worry. But sometimes they get thrown for a reason. Ignoring real problems in your car could be dangerous for you and/or the car.

Last edited by JSTCD; 04-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.
JSTCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JSTCD For This Useful Post:
AK_Highlander (06-13-2011), billygarrett (06-07-2013), bizon (11-02-2012), br217398 (03-08-2013), fj62 (03-21-2011), Oldschool2013 (06-14-2013), peppi (01-08-2014), Petzuker (06-14-2011), Shah (05-08-2012), skiskien (04-29-2012), TrailDust (05-08-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View JSTCD's Photo Gallery
Airbag light

Airbag SRS light
You must jump two pins of the OBD plug under the dash by the left knee.
See diagram:
__/_@_@_@_TC_@_@_@_@_\
_/__@_@_@_@_CG_@_@_@__\
Here is the sequence, according to the manual, I’ve never tried it.
  1. turn car ON, wait 60s
  2. Jump TG & Cg
  3. Wait for any codes to be flashed out by airbag warning light (CURRENT trouble codes), turn car off.
  4. Turn car back on, wait 60s
  5. Wait for any codes to be flashed out (PAST trouble codes), turn car back off.
Code should now be cleared warning light off.
If this fails, apparently you must
  1. Jump TG & CG, turn car on,
  2. After reading codes, remove jumper, warning light should come on..
  3. Within 4 s of light, jump TG & CG (good luck doing it that fast, might be a 2man job)
  4. Light should go off, remove jumper within 4s of light going off.
  5. Light will go back on, repeat step 3
  6. You should now see a steady state flashing of the light, the "All OK signal". Turn car off, remove jumper, warning light should be gone.
Apparently this procedure may need to be done more than once.

Airbags are critical pieces of safety equipment and contain
explosives, don’t mess with them if you don’t know what you are doing. ****

As always, if there is something actually wrong with your airbag, you need to fix this first or the code will eventually re-trip.

Last edited by JSTCD; 07-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.
JSTCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JSTCD For This Useful Post:
peppi (01-08-2014), Petzuker (06-14-2011), Shah (05-08-2012), sze0920 (03-26-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View johnreynolds61's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up

THANK YOU for the help with the VSC codes - I did my rear brakes and timing belt/water pump/seals/plugs at the same time and double-checked everything before I resorted to a search for my problem.
johnreynolds61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View sze0920's Photo Gallery
Thank you JSTCD!! I am glad that i live on the same planet with you!!!

I successfully reset the VSC Check Light after brake pad change on my 2006 RX400h!! not only the VSC is reset , seems like the hybrid performed better than before (it has 100000 miles)!!
sze0920 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View Shah's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up

Thank you so much JSTCD. I reset the brake warning code on my 2008 Highlander hybrid. The only thing that JSTCD clarified to me in an email is that the proceedure has to be completed within 5 sec.
Shah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Shah For This Useful Post:
skiskien (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
skiskien

View skiskien's Photo Gallery
it works Abs and brakesignals are gone and the car brakes normal again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTCD View Post
Check Engine Light:
Or
  2. Press the odometer button until the display reads actual mileage... not Trip A or B.
  3. Turn ignition off.
  4. Press and hold Hold odometer button, then while holding button in turn car ON
Then you can enter a nifty mode which will allow you to turn off the seatbelt alarm.

It would appear that regen braking, traction control, and posibly some anti rollover control is dissabled if this warning light is on. So it is both fuel inneficient and possibly dangerous to drive with this light on.

First find the obd computer plug, under the dash, near your left knee, where your scanguage plugs in.
Turn car OFF.
See diagram:

__/_@_@_@_TC_@_@_@_@_\
_/__@_@_@_@_CG_@_@_@__\

Note: I saw some posts when researcing this suggesting a jump between TS and CG. (TS is just to the left of TC ie 3rd pin). While this may/may not work on some Toyotas. On the HIHI this doesn't seem to do anything other than cause a Hybrid System Warning to be thrown. So don't.

1. Turn car to ON, you should see the message "VSC DIAG".It will read "VSC DIAG OK" if there are no codes.
  2. Brake warning lights will go off for 4s, then start to flash. Count the flashes, these are the error codes that caused the light to come on. They may be real, and something may need to be fixed. If the car really is broken, just resetting the light won’t do much, as it will soon trip again.
If the brake lights continually flash, then there are no codes and the display should read: "VSC DIAG OK"
  1. turn car on.
  2. Press the bakes (enough to make the tail lights come on, not all they way) and release 8 times. Once you have done it enough times the display will change to "VSC DIAG OK"

I needed to do this after changing my brake pads caused this error to flag. Very neat. I suspect there are other diagnostic modes that could be found.

As always, sometimes error lights get thrown for no reason, just clear them and don't worry. But sometimes they get thrown for a reason. Ignoring real problems in your car could be dangerous for you and/or the car.
skiskien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View br217398's Photo Gallery
just want to say thanks again for this older thread which saved me $150 diagnostic fee to "reset the VSC light that can't be reset outside of a dealership"
br217398 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View billygarrett's Photo Gallery
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTCD View Post
Check Engine Light:
Or
  3. Turn ignition off.

Turn car OFF.
See diagram:

__/_@_@_@_TC_@_@_@_@_\
_/__@_@_@_@_CG_@_@_@__\

1. turn car on.

You would not believe how GRATEFUL I am for this info.
I have to take my RX400h with my family abroad tomorrow and I was so worried with having the ABS lights on and it saying CHECK VSC!

My garage has just serviced my car including timing belt, plugs filters etc and brakes and had forced back in the front Right hand side brake piston.

Apparently according to Lexus at Leeds, this triggered the error which my garage could not understand the reason.

But no very sophisticated diagnostic kits in another garage could correct it and said it could not connect to ABS and I was told it might be a fuse, but it wasn't!

But I found your posting and as soon as I connected TC and CG, it showed error 45 and pressing the brake 8 times in 5 seconds cleared it.

WOW! I am impressed, delighted and so relieved.
MANY MANY thanks Now we can catch that ferry tomorrow!!

BTW, I couldn't get the seat belt warning to disable, but it is not important.
Thanks again
Billy
billygarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View Oldschool2013's Photo Gallery
Just joined this website specifically to say a big thanks to JSTCD for your info on how to reset VSC warning light.

I have a Lexus RX 400H 2005 UK spec and I initially opened the front brakes to check the condition of pads and disc and free the piston as it was pulling a bit but this did not activate any lights. However when I checked the back pads and disc about four different warning lights come on and the main screen was showing a VSC problem! After cursing myself for fiddling with it in the first place I came across your post and hesitantly tried it (hesitantly because I could not believe that a paper clip could fix this!) and I was so happy that it worked! When connected the TC and CG I was able to press brake pedal 8 times and it cleared.

Really grateful and am happy knowing that when time comes I can change the discs and pads myself without worrying about the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree!

Last edited by Oldschool2013; 06-14-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Oldschool2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View corv75's Photo Gallery
Just had to do also because of rotors and pad change on rears. Worked great!!!!!!!!!!
corv75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygarrett View Post
You would not believe how GRATEFUL I am for this info.
I have to take my RX400h with my family abroad tomorrow and I was so worried with having the ABS lights on and it saying CHECK VSC!

My garage has just serviced my car including timing belt, plugs filters etc and brakes and had forced back in the front Right hand side brake piston.

Apparently according to Lexus at Leeds, this triggered the error which my garage could not understand the reason.

But no very sophisticated diagnostic kits in another garage could correct it and said it could not connect to ABS and I was told it might be a fuse, but it wasn't!

But I found your posting and as soon as I connected TC and CG, it showed error 45 and pressing the brake 8 times in 5 seconds cleared it.

WOW! I am impressed, delighted and so relieved.
MANY MANY thanks Now we can catch that ferry tomorrow!!

BTW, I couldn't get the seat belt warning to disable, but it is not important.
Thanks again
Billy
I have found more info on this topic and added how I made a diagnostic switchable plug!
Details here: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...-3#entry828825
Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View Wiggl3s's Photo Gallery
Had the same problem changing out the rear breaks.

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid VSC Diag System Warning and Hybrid warning

How to fix it:
With car off, pump brakes 8 times quickly (you may have to do it with full accessory on)
This should clear VSC
Then you should still have check engine, P/S, skid-warning lights
Read to clear the check engine light
This should clear all warnings

Do not:
Pay a dealership $2,000 to fix this!
Jump TC and CG. This just caused the hybrid warning!
Clear codes if you're unsure you did the brake job right!
Drive long-distance with warnings!

All did was rear brake pads, the parking brake assembly looked completely unused so i didn't see a need to go any further.

Thank you for the help JSTCD and Billy!
Wiggl3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

View gwrace's Photo Gallery
Does not work on 2011 Sienna SE

Any ideas on how to reset the check engine and VSC light on a 2011 Sienna SE. I tried this procedure multiple times and it has no affect. Van only has 12000 miles on it. Thanks!
gwrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrace View Post
Any ideas on how to reset the check engine and VSC light on a 2011 Sienna SE. I tried this procedure multiple times and it has no affect. Van only has 12000 miles on it. Thanks!
I am afraid II have no experience of your vehicle.
Mine is a Lexus RX400h
Details of my "fix" is here:
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...-3#entry828825
If it doesn't work I am afraid you need to ask again for another soution.
I presume you have tried disconnecting the 12 volt battery for 24 hours or so...
Sorry and Good luck
Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Toyota Highlander Hybrid