Timing Belt Change Procedure - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Toyota Highlander Hybrid The first hybrid SUV from Toyota. The Highlander hybrid!

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View BikerBill's Photo Gallery
Timing Belt Change Procedure

My wife's 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited is coming up on 90,000 miles. I see the maintenance schedule calls for the timing belt to be replaced (3.3L V6). I searched this forum for user write-ups on how to do this and found nothing. I'm used to the Volvo and Audi forums where there are plenty up write-ups and photos on how to do maintenance procedures like this. So I'd like to think I just don't know how to navigate this forum. Can someone point me in the correct direction? Thanks!
BikerBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Do you feel lucky?

Gameroom cash: $1001905250
Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,961 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View TrailDust's Photo Gallery
I'm not aware of anyone ever having posted up a DIY for the timing belt on either the hybrid Highlander or all gas-powered Highlander. If and/or when someone posts one up, I'd be more than happy to include a link to it in the DIY sticky thread for future reference.

2008 Highlander Base 4WD
2002 Avalon XL
1987 Suzuki Samurai 4X4 - Treading where no Jeep can follow....
TrailDust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

OK, so there are no DIY write ups. I assume some of the folks here must have done the timing belt replacement though. Are there many special tools required (camshaft locking tool, belt tensioner compressor, etc.)? How long did it take? Are there any real gotchas to look out for? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $112550
View gin man's Photo Gallery
Lacking anything on the forum in the way of what you're looking for, you could either go to your local library, many of which have either Mitchell's or Chiltons manuals or you could sign up at www.alldata.com.
gin man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View don r's Photo Gallery
Log onto Toyota's Technical Information System website using the link below. Get a two day subscription and you can download pdfs of the Toyota service manual sections on the timing belt change in a matter of 15 minutes. The cost is very reasonable at $15 for a two day subscription.

The timing belt change appears to be quite involved with the removal and disassembly of quite a bit in the engine compartment. There are over 20 disassembly steps to get to the timing belt. A pulley puller is needed in the process. I personally would not attempt this repair myself but you may be more adventurous.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&SMENC=ISO-8859-1&SMLOCALE=US-EN&SMAUTHREASON=0&SMAGENTNAME=%24SM%24mT%252bGLraB u9CwUVnZg4mEDzB2kysT90hgbwsWgdZzNOc%253d&TARGET=%2 4SM%24https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%2F
don r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to don r For This Useful Post:
TrailDust (01-08-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

Hey don r

Thanks for the info on the TIS website. It looks like that's the path I'll likely follow. Other than the gear/pulley puller did so you see any other special tools that are needed? My Audi requires a (really) special cam locking bar and a crankshaft locking pin.

20 steps to get to the timing belt may not be all that bad depending on how significant they are. That just seems to be the way timing belts are these days. Does the service manual give any information on how long it takes to complete a particular procedure? Is there any limit on how many PDF's I can download? I may want to download some other procedures for future reference.

I've done TB replacements on my wife's two Volvo's (what an easy job!) and my BMW (not so easy). So I may be up for trying this on the Highlander.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $116900
View lenore's Photo Gallery
Here is a u tube video for the 3.0 lexus engine...Same belt and idlers, the tensioner is different...Does not show the hybrid stuff above the timing belt area...more steps to remove that stuff.. The video is in two steps...
And of course you dont have a power steering belt and alternator belt/ac belt.
lenore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks for the link to these videos. There's nothing quite like seeing the work done. Actually, there's not a lot of hybrid stuff that needs to come off to do this. Interesting you should note I don't have any accessory belts. Two of the three Toyota dealers/indie shops I called to get some pricing info quoted replacement of the accessory belt as part of the job. Guess they don't see a lot of hybrids!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Yea that would make me nervous, they might jack the price when they see the hybrid.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I will take pictures when I do mine...its coming fast and furious...
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View 07HyHiLimAWD's Photo Gallery
USA Done your timing belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore View Post
I will take pictures when I do mine...its coming fast and furious...
Just checking if you or anyone has done a TB on a 06-07 Hybrid Highlander. Mine has just past 90K and I'm starting looking into it. I have done 3 TB jobs on Honda - 2 on Accords and 1 on Odyssey. But this would be my first on a Toyota. I have printouts from the Toyota Techinfo site. But still want to be better preparred for the job.

Thanks
07HyHiLimAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

Amazing Timing

Your timing is unbelievable--I did the work yesterday. I used the Toyota Tech Info instructions and had no problems. You need to remove a lot of stuff to get to the belt but most of it is pretty straightforward. The right hand engine mounting bracket is a bit of a challenge to wiggle out and get back in. It's easier if you leave one of the 2 bolts in place; I can't remember which one. There's a yellow dot on the crankshaft gear at the three o'clock position (when the crank is at TDC) that you need to align the dashed mark on the new belt to. All the marks had worn off the old belt so I put my own marks on the new belt but there is no need to do so. The yellow dot isn't big but you should have no problem seeing it if you know to look for it. Also, in order to see the rear camshaft pulley and matching timing mark you'll need a mirror and a small work light. I found it was easier to muscle the engine wire protector assembly (step 18) to the right. That way you can pretty much see the belt mark and the timing mark directly. You don't want to do all this work and be off by a tooth.

I bought a special tool to hold the crankshaft and thought it was well worth the money. Schley makes one (model 64300) and so does Matco (MST6430). I didn't even need a breaker bar with it. When you remove the crankshaft pulley bolt the tool engages a really beefy suspension bracket and when you reinstall the bolt I used a 4 chunk of 2 x 4 between the tool and another suspension member. If you're interested in renting mine just send me a private message.

I changed the belt at 98,000 miles. The belt was in amazing condition. I'm sure it could have gone another few tens of thousands of miles. But I wouldn't recommend waiting that long. I'm sure some engines cause belts to wear faster than others. The Toyota belt is quite a bit wider than the one on my Audi.

I only changed the belt--no idlers, tensioners, or water pump. I called two Toyota dealers and corresponded online with a Toyota master tech and that's what they do. Of course you should check all the rotating components for smooth operation and the water pump for leakage.

You may want to change the spark plugs while you're in there. I believe both the plugs and belt should be changed at 90,000 miles. The plugs had a much higher aggravation factor than the belt. I didn't have the Toyota instructions for this but found a posting on this site for the plugs. There are two bolts up against the firewall you need to remove and there's very little room. I did this by feel, not sight. It was about this time I started talking like a longshoreman. If you can't find the posting just let me know. It took several extra hours for the plugs--you need to remove the intake plenum.

If you've done a few other timing belts I don't think you should have a problem with the Toyota engine. If you have other questions let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to BikerBill For This Useful Post:
smileyT (08-28-2013)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

Two More Things

Never fails. Shortly after hitting the send button I remembered two other things. The Toyota manual says to use a puller to remove the crankshaft pulley. I just wiggled the pulley by hand and it came off.

When I was installing the new belt the rear camshaft slipped counterclockwise maybe 60 degrees or so. I heard a clank so I assume some valves struck a piston. The engine runs fine. But you may want to rig up something to prevent this from happening. Toyota has a special tool to rotate the camshafts but not to lock them. I don't think it would too hard to cobble up something to lock the camshaft in place. I had no problems with the front camshaft. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View 07HyHiLimAWD's Photo Gallery
Many thanks

Just want to say thank to you and others for your responses.

So it seems like the only special tool needed is a crank pulley holder. I'll be gathering parts, tools, and instructions. Will try to take some pictures when I get to it, in a couples of weeks.
07HyHiLimAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Yea I have to do it, but I have a grandbaby on the way any minute and didnt want to tear car down until that is all done..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Hybrid Forum > Toyota Highlander Hybrid