Vsc, Trac Off, Chk Eng Light On - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
xB Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Scion xB.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Vsc, Trac Off, Chk Eng Light On

I have 2006 xB w/46,000 miles. Recently the VSC + Trac Off + Chk Eng light came on. At time car was running fine and still is. Took it to dealer to check it out and they are telling me that I need a new Camshaft timing gear. I'm a lady who's not that savvy with engines, but it seems (to my logic anyway) that my car would not be running very well....Wouldn't the timing be off and car missing? Also, what does the stability control and traction have to do with the timing gear?

Another thing, they said I can drive it until the part comes in. Is this a good idea if it is the timing gear? I need to drive the car, but don't want to do more harm to it. Just would like another's opinion and a little education on this.

Thanks for any advice.
Sugar Cube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 PM
One with the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcube View Post
I have 2006 xB w/46,000 miles. Recently the VSC + Trac Off + Chk Eng light came on. At time car was running fine and still is. Took it to dealer to check it out and they are telling me that I need a new Camshaft timing gear. I'm a lady who's not that savvy with engines, but it seems (to my logic anyway) that my car would not be running very well....Wouldn't the timing be off and car missing? Also, what does the stability control and traction have to do with the timing gear?

Another thing, they said I can drive it until the part comes in. Is this a good idea if it is the timing gear? I need to drive the car, but don't want to do more harm to it. Just would like another's opinion and a little education on this.

Thanks for any advice.
Sugar Cube

you might get more answers here..

www.bbsquad.net
www.clubxb.com
www.scionlife.com

1982 Toyota Starlet (SP61) boosted since 2007
#3 Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 PM
TN Post Wh*re

VSC and TRAC lights will come on any time the check engine light does to reduce engine load. As such these lights being on may have nothing to do with the why the check engine light came on.

If the check engine light is on, a trouble code(s) has been stored in the computer that points to the problem area. The dealer should have read this code(s) to come up with what was wrong. Did the dealer give you a sheet with the trouble code number on it?

The engine may have variable valve timing, if it is not working the engine will revert back to a fail safe condition so that no damage will occur. But it will not be running a peak performance. Or it could be something with the engine timing system.

If you want to do your own checking, start calling autoparts stores to see if one will read the trouble codes for free, it is an easy job. AutoZone will read codes for free.

A Google search can at times turn up a wealth of info.
#4 Old 03-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Let me out of my cage....

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds like the VVT-i controller (timing gear) is malfunctioning according to the dealer. They did a real bad job of telling you that.

It used to be pretty common on the corollas and celica's with the 1.8 liter. Not so much on the 2.4 liter. Should be covered under your powertrain warranty anyways so cost shouldn't be an issue.

Like has been said before, your engine will revert to a reduced performance mode and you'll lose a few MPG probably. It wont do any damage but I'd get it replaced.

"Fools", said I, "You do not know, silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you. Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell, and echoed, in the wells of silence.....

Jason Johnston
Toyota/Scion of Des Moines
(800)342-7045
#5 Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Vanilla Gorilla's Page

I bought a set of tires a few months ago before going on a trip. Half way into my trip the same set of lights came on. Like the lady said my car didnt seem to be running any different. I went ahead and pushed forward on our trip and a few miles down the road the light went out.

Monday I jump in my 05 scion xB and the lights are back on now. I thought something had been reset on my computer the first time the lights came on because of the new tires. I guess I will take it in before I mess something up.

Vanilla Gorilla xB
#6 Old 05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
New TN User

these three codes came up on my xB, but when i brought it into the dealer, they said nothing was wrong. @2 days later the lights came back on. Any suggestions?
#7 Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Vanilla Gorilla's Page

Your not going to beleive this

Today at lunch I was driving back to the office and noticed the lights were out. I swear I have gremlins in my dash F'ing with me. At this point I guess I will drive it until the wheels fall off and then get it fixed.:ahhhh:

Vanilla Gorilla xB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > Scion Forum > xB Forum > xB Lounge