Charcoal Canister Problem on 2006 Xa..Help! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
xA Forum Discussion area specifically for the Scion xA (NCP61)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-19-2006, 08:08 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Charcoal Canister Problem on 2006 Xa..Help!

I have a 2006 xa that I had the check engine light come on in January. I took it in to toyota and they said it had a cracked charcoal canister on fuel tank. After they fixed it the light came on again and this time time they said water was getting into canister and Toyota was working on fix. I have had the light come on 3 or 4 times and everytime I'm supposed to take to Toyota to reset...and each time they say they are still working on fix...and to keep on bringing in my scion to have light reset.
Has anyone heard or experienced this problem? It seems to me that others would be having the same problem on their xa's. I am just getting suspicious of a run-around by toyota...Please help.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 AM
New TN User

charcoal canister problem

Hey,

took my 07 corolla to dealership after check engine light came on, they hooked it up and told me that I need a new charcoal canister. (The part was on back order so I had to go home and wait for call.) 1 month past and no call so I called them and get this....

They told me that Toyota canada is refusing to send out any more charcoal canisters under warrenty(unless the customer wants to pay) I am still under warrenty. Because TOO many corolla/Matrixes are being diagnosed with bad charcoal canisters, they are being replaced and the check engine light is still coming on.

I said to the guy at the dealership "Didn't you hook it up to get codes and the charcoal canister is what it said" he says, "No we just said that??????"

So he says toyota is "working on the problem" ....so if i have to take my car though air care and it fails, what good is the car!!!

Has your problem been resolved yet, if so what was the problem. Best of Luck

Bee

I should probably post this in the main forum, just to see if or how many others are having this problem.
#3 Old 03-06-2009, 05:46 PM
New TN User

charcoal canister problem

My 2006 Scion xA was also diagnosed with a leak in the charcoal canister. The check engine light had come on and Colchester Toyota said that the code was P043E.

They said that the charcoal canister cost $300 and there are some other parts as well - a cover and tube and the total cost of the parts is ~$400.

They said that they worked out a deal with the factory to get the parts for free, but they would have to charge me for the 3 hours of labor.

I called Middletown Scion and they told me that the job would cost $434 - parts and 1.5 hours of labor. I asked them if they could get the parts from the factory for free and the service person said that he would check with the service manager on Tuesday and get back to me.

I don't understand why a 2.5 year old car with 43K miles should even have a check engine light on. This issue should be covered by the emissions warranty and I have been told that it is not.
#4 Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
New TN User

canister problem

Some other recent observations that make me question if there is another problem besides the canister:

- problems with the gas pump nozzle clicking off before the gas tank is filled
- drippage from the exhaust pipe
#5 Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Let me out of my cage....

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Drippage from the exhaust pipe is nothing more the condensation from the pipe heating up. That is normal for any vehicle.

There was a problem with earlier xA's and B's clicking off the fuel pump before it was full but that problem was resolved and your vehicle shouldn't be affected by that. There was a fuel tank replacement TSB that went out but it was only for 04 and 05 vehicles. Your vehicle would have been built with the already upgraded tank.

"Fools", said I, "You do not know, silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you. Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell, and echoed, in the wells of silence.....

Jason Johnston
Toyota/Scion of Des Moines
(800)342-7045
#6 Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
New TN User

In my experience, about two years ago, this happened to me. They (dealer) said it was a kind of recall thing. When the part came in, they put the new charcoal canister/sensor in and I was on my way. Just because you did not have a problem with it until now, does not mean you should be stuck paying for it. It was a bad part.
#7 Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
New TN User

I would guess that it is this: http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/eg04706.pdf

I had the same issue, but I was pondering the severity and haven't brought it in just yet. Light went on less than a week ago.

Shaun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > Scion Forum > xA Forum