Help Please! Stripped Head Bolts 2.4l 2az-fe - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > Scion Forum > tC Forum > 1st Generation (2005-2010)

1st Generation (2005-2010) Discussion area specifically for the first generation Scion tC (ANT10)

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View fjk6807's Photo Gallery
Help Please! Stripped Head Bolts 2.4l 2az-fe

I need some advice. I have a 06 Scion with the 2.4L 2AZFE engine. This car has 64k miles on it. Just out of warranty. It developed an oil leak on the front driver side of the engine. Upon close exam it proved to be coming from between the head and block. Upon disassembly I discover the head bolt at that location is stripped. I now suspect other head bolts will be a problem also. I was disturbed to find that many other 2AZFE engines are having the same problem at the same general mileage range with stripped head bolts. Most of the time it is coolant leak but due to stripped head bolts that have let go and no longer can hold the torque value. I do not have the money for a $6000-$8000 dollar repair as being quoted by Toyota.
I have considered insert thread repairs but have no idea if this will work on this engine. I am looking for advice from others that have had this problem and what you did to correct the problem. I can do the work for the most part but TMEsert kit is expensive and I need to know if it will work and hold before spending the money.
Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Let me out of my cage....

Gameroom cash: $278350
Lifetime Supreme Member
View HATEnFATE's Photo Gallery
The first thing I would do is Call The Toyota customer experience line. Tell them what is going on and that you are just out of warranty. See if there is anything they can do for you. Cover labor or the cost of parts or something. They should be willing to help you out as close to your warranty expiration as you are.

Secondly, The thread repairs DO work. We've done a few of them and had no issues with them not holding.

Please call Toyota, (not your dealer) and let them know what's going on. Let them know what's happening and remind them that you know it's an issue with some of these engines.

Jason Johnston
Toyota/Scion of Des Moines
(800)342-7045
HATEnFATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View fjk6807's Photo Gallery
Hi Jason,

I appriciate what you say. Believe me we have talked with Toyota and Scion until blue in the face and they offer no help and will not admit to a problem with these engines. The regional office did offer to go 50/50 on the repair as long as it only needed a head gasket. Well as it turns out it needs more due to stripped head bolts. Toyota says the only repair possible is a new block and therefore they can do nothing because it far exceeds the 600 they are willing to cover as half of a 1200 head gasket replacement.
I am a good mechanic and could do the thread inserts if i have the kit. But the kit is over $400.
If you know some secret trick to getting them to help please let me know. If i could find someone to loan or rent me the Timecert kit the inserts themselves are only $32 total for all 10.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $111055
View laphan's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk6807 View Post
Hi Jason,

I appriciate what you say. Believe me we have talked with Toyota and Scion until blue in the face and they offer no help and will not admit to a problem with these engines. The regional office did offer to go 50/50 on the repair as long as it only needed a head gasket. Well as it turns out it needs more due to stripped head bolts. Toyota says the only repair possible is a new block and therefore they can do nothing because it far exceeds the 600 they are willing to cover as half of a 1200 head gasket replacement.
I am a good mechanic and could do the thread inserts if i have the kit. But the kit is over $400.
If you know some secret trick to getting them to help please let me know. If i could find someone to loan or rent me the Timecert kit the inserts themselves are only $32 total for all 10.

OK, There is a guy here with 02 camry who has this kit and his user name is dave0919. He might be able to guide you on how to fix the block too.
check this: Repairs to my 2002 2AZFE complete
Gone: '06 Solara
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Let me out of my cage....

Gameroom cash: $278350
Lifetime Supreme Member
View HATEnFATE's Photo Gallery
Yeah, The time-serts aren't bad in price. If we weren't a dealer, we could likely loan out the kit but we are prohibited from loaning out tools..........

If that guy^^^^could loan you the kit though. I hear it works like a charm.

Jason Johnston
Toyota/Scion of Des Moines
(800)342-7045
HATEnFATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View studman's Photo Gallery
I'm not selling anything at this point so please don't ban me for this (I may soon be a supporting member). I hope to help some owners of the 2AZ-FE.

My name is Jake. I developed a repair for the GM Northstar V8 (the worst head bolt/gasket problem in history) and this repair has been used over 250 times without one failure. I now hold a provisional patent on this.

What beats inserts/wire coil thread repairs? Not having these inserts at all. How about a one piece, dual diameter stud that removes the twisting action in the aluminum block when torquing down the heads? Please check out my website at www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php

Please have a look at the repair method. I would very much like to help Toyota owners as I've helped a lot of Northstar owners (Cadillac/Oldsmobile/Pontiac/Buick)

This beats every type of insert out on the market.

I need a Toyota owner's help:

I need someone to provide me with an engine to develop a stud repair for the 2AZ-FE. In exchange for a 2-3 week engine loan I will install the first run of studs in your engine along with new head gaskets, free of charge. If you'd be so kind as to cover half of the shipping charges to southern Ontario, Canada, that would be very much appreciated. You'll have the best repair method in your engine. This way I can develop the necessary repair that it looks like many Toyota owners will soon need.

I've devoted my life to develop bulletproof repairs for automotive problems that are quite common, but warranty often will not cover. If it helps any, there are about 7 or 8 Cadillac dealerships across the USA and Canada that choose to use my repair method for all Northstars they work on. They have very positive reviews, and not one failure to date - not one stud has failed or pulled out of the block.

Please email me at info@northstarperformance.com for any more info.

Off hand, how many head bolts does the 2AZ-FE have in total?
studman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View ericfuentes's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up

Time-Sert Toyota head bolt thread repair kit.

http://www.timesert.com/html/toyota.html

ericfuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View studman's Photo Gallery
I now have the stud kit developed for the Toyota 2AZ-FE engine. Thanks in part to Mike's Automotive in Delhi, Ontario Canada, it has been tested on a 2003 Toyota Camry. It worked flawlessly. More even torque distribution, no chance of re-failure.

I will post pics later today if I get a chance of the studded 2.4L engine and within 2 weeks I would like to become and advertiser and supporter of Toyota Nation.

My system is patent pending and I will likely be offering a warranty against thread re-failure for anyone using my kit as I do for Cadillac Northstar owners.
studman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
2012 Camry SE Mag Grey

Gameroom cash: $138700
Garage
View SilverBullet's Photo Gallery
Gen5

first one to post in a while i have found studman's post about this over on the gen5&6 camry forum. GEN5 2.4L 2AZ-FE Stripped Head Bolts
hope this helps!

Mag Gray 2012 Camry SE 2AR-FE; 11,000 miles

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View toy-ota's Photo Gallery
Wink Ns300l

some dude fixed his using the NS300L helicoil bushing kit
its worth watching the end!!!

toy-ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > Scion Forum > tC Forum > 1st Generation (2005-2010)