new tundra vs old tundra. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
new tundra vs old tundra.

Well, I'm pissed that i could not find a 2006 leftover 4x4 last month. After seeing the new tundra from a distance......I've come to the conclusion that it is too big for my needs...that thing looks huge! Wow...where I live, there are many many of the earlier tundras...and they are noticably smaller that other full size trucks. Who is gonna get this market now? Dodge? ouch! Maybe chevy...don't they have a smaller version truck? I guess I will be looking for a used tundra in the next year or so. What ticks me off is that I coulda got a new 06 cheaper than what a used 05 is going for. I got a feeling this new tundra will be a bust this year....but may pick up steam in a couple of years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Official TN Member

The Tacoma is the best midsize truck available right now. The double cab long bed is actually longer than the old Tundra access cab. The new Tundra had to go bigger to compete, but it really isn't that hard to manuever.

2005 TRD Off Road 4x4, VSC, TRAC, HAC, DAC, JBL System, Locker Mod, TRAC/VSC Mod,
Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow, Custom Bed Lights, Access Cover, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator

#3 Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Let me out of my cage....

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are plenty of 06 straglers around. The problem is that you're in a heavily populated area. You'll have to look a little harder to find what you want but don't fret, they are still out there. The 07's have only been on sale for 2 weeks.

"Fools", said I, "You do not know, silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you. Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell, and echoed, in the wells of silence.....

Jason Johnston
Toyota/Scion of Des Moines
(800)342-7045
#4 Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Official TN Member

Gas is already close to $3 in Los Angeles, so in San Diego its probably over, and its only March! That is the thing that may make the new Tundra a bust. Ford sales are down and Dodge way down. There is some hope, GM truck sales were up last month, probably because of the new models.
#5 Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita
Gas is already close to $3 in Los Angeles, so in San Diego its probably over, and its only March! That is the thing that may make the new Tundra a bust. Ford sales are down and Dodge way down. There is some hope, GM truck sales were up last month, probably because of the new models.

I love the power the new Tundra has, however I'm surprised Toyota didn't have something like chevys displacement on demmand with the new motor.. Its only $2.40 where I live, but thats still high...

Dascrow
http://www.tundratalk.net
#6 Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascrow
I love the power the new Tundra has, however I'm surprised Toyota didn't have something like chevys displacement on demmand with the new motor..
6.0L Vortec MAX 367hp, 375 lb-ft.........15/19mpg (4x2 and 4x4)

5.7L Tundra 381hp, 401 lb-ft...............16/20mpg (4x2), 14/18 (4x4)

It doesn't appear that Toyota's losing much by not having that displacement on demand feature.

GM claims that, despite being heavier and having more mechanical components to drive, the 4x4 gets the same mileage as the 4x2. Anyone else but me find that a bit strange?
#7 Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Official TN Member

That is strange. The 4.7L on the Tundra has the same mileage estimates for both the 4x2 and 4x4 as well with 15/18. It's also funny that there is a 2 mpg difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 on the Tundra with the 5.7L. I wouldn't think it would be that much.

2005 TRD Off Road 4x4, VSC, TRAC, HAC, DAC, JBL System, Locker Mod, TRAC/VSC Mod,
Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow, Custom Bed Lights, Access Cover, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator

#8 Old 03-04-2007, 11:09 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimp1000
6.0L Vortec MAX 367hp, 375 lb-ft.........15/19mpg (4x2 and 4x4)

5.7L Tundra 381hp, 401 lb-ft...............16/20mpg (4x2), 14/18 (4x4)

It doesn't appear that Toyota's losing much by not having that displacement on demand feature.

GM claims that, despite being heavier and having more mechanical components to drive, the 4x4 gets the same mileage as the 4x2. Anyone else but me find that a bit strange?
I thought the chevys would be a little higher, but compared to the old 6l (12mpg-15mpg) a huge improvement!

Dascrow
http://www.tundratalk.net
#9 Old 03-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaru77
Well, I'm pissed that i could not find a 2006 leftover 4x4 last month. After seeing the new tundra from a distance......I've come to the conclusion that it is too big for my needs...that thing looks huge! Wow...where I live, there are many many of the earlier tundras...and they are noticably smaller that other full size trucks. Who is gonna get this market now? Dodge? ouch! Maybe chevy...don't they have a smaller version truck? I guess I will be looking for a used tundra in the next year or so. What ticks me off is that I coulda got a new 06 cheaper than what a used 05 is going for. I got a feeling this new tundra will be a bust this year....but may pick up steam in a couple of years.
I have an 05 access cab v8 and I tell ya what..........it is very comparable to the v6 tacoma. The interior room is about the same, actually I believe that the double cab tacoma has about 4 more inches in the back seat than my access. The v6 is actually quicker and can tow just about as much, only 300lbs less I believe. The only major difference (imo) is the bed size. You will not get a full size bed. But, you will get the truck for about 3-5000 less than a tundra. All said, I love my tundra.
#10 Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM
New TN User

I'd agree with the original post regarding the size of the new Tundra. Our '06 SR5 access cab is just over a year old. The wife liked it because it was "the smallest big truck" we test drove. We needed gvwr over 6000# for taxes, or we'd probably be in a Tacoma now. The Dodge Dakota had gvwr 6050, but felt tinny. The other full size pu's just felt cavernous and looked slab-sided. Then again, we're stepping up from the 88 BroncoII and 89 Ranger, and don't tow much or far. Now then, I'd really be happy if I could just get rid of the clunk when the 4WD disengages.
#11 Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdinnebier
I have an 05 access cab v8 and I tell ya what..........it is very comparable to the v6 tacoma. The interior room is about the same, actually I believe that the double cab tacoma has about 4 more inches in the back seat than my access. The v6 is actually quicker and can tow just about as much, only 300lbs less I believe. The only major difference (imo) is the bed size. You will not get a full size bed. But, you will get the truck for about 3-5000 less than a tundra. All said, I love my tundra.
The tacoma is quicker? I drove the 06 with the v-6 and my tundra is much more powerful, maybe its just me

96 4runner 4x4 LTD
#12 Old 03-07-2007, 05:02 AM
GO PATRIOTS!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
^^The Tacoma weighs less and is a nice truck, but the bed size is a deal breaker though. And for the past few months some dealers were going six thousand under sticker on the 06 Tundras to start with, came out cheaper than a Tacoma.

#13 Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM
07 Tundra DC 5.7 4WD TRD

If the 07 Tundra is too big and you can't find a new 06 Tundra...get a deal on a used one. There will be alot of people who will trade up to the new one and be getting rid of their little used 06 If not ~ Get the 07 Tacoma...whatever you do...get the Toyota BTW-What do you mean...Where I live it's just too big? We're only talking a difference of inches on the dimensions and have you seen the new Tundra's turning radius? Much better than most Trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > 1st Generation (20002006)