Engine Noise (sounds like exhaust leak) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > 1st Generation (20002006)

1st Generation (20002006) Looking for dedicated discussion for the 1st Generation of the Toyota Tundra? This forum is the place for you.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Captain Underpants

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View project_tundra's Photo Gallery
Engine Noise (sounds like exhaust leak)

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 and I have a phantom noise. You can hear the noise all the time but it is especially loud when the vehicle is cold. The noise speeds up its rhythmic ticking in the higher RPM's and sounds like air escaping so my first thought was an exhaust leak. I have replaced both manifolds with Toyota manifolds and the driver cat and this noise is still making an appearance. Anyone else have this problem and find a solution? The sound is definitely on the drivers side.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View 02604fun's Photo Gallery
exhaust leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_tundra View Post
I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 and I have a phantom noise. You can hear the noise all the time but it is especially loud when the vehicle is cold. The noise speeds up its rhythmic ticking in the higher RPM's and sounds like air escaping so my first thought was an exhaust leak. I have replaced both manifolds with Toyota manifolds and the driver cat and this noise is still making an appearance. Anyone else have this problem and find a solution? The sound is definitely on the drivers side.
I had a 96 t100 that might have had the same thing. I found the y pipe exhaust sheild was cracked. sounds crazy but that was the sound i was hearing sounded like a exhaust leak.

Last edited by 02604fun; 03-05-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: wrong
02604fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Captain Underpants

Just had it diagnosed furthur and it sounds like it might be injectors!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View ts2002's Photo Gallery
Engine Noise (sounds like exhaust leak)

I have the 202 sequoia, and it's making the exact same noise. Did you ever found the root cause and got it fixed.
ts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View SHIFTY23's Photo Gallery
99 percent sure the exhaust manifolds are leaking. I work at a dealer and we do about 5 a year. not a cheap repair either. sorry I didn't read full message about you replacing manifolds. Another thing i have seen is piston slap when cold. very noticeable when cold on v8 engines and it is normal.

Last edited by SHIFTY23; 04-17-2008 at 08:21 PM.
SHIFTY23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View nikita's Photo Gallery
Piston slap seems to be a common issue in late model V-8's from Ford and GM as well. It may be due to the short-skirt, low-friction piston design compared to the old days. It annoys owners, but really does no harm. I only notice it for a very few minutes of initial warmup.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View finfun's Photo Gallery
I have an '03 4.7 with a similar noise. Really notice it accelerating from a dead stop or if accelerating from 55mph to pass someone. Definitely on the driver side. "Puttering" sound that increases in speed with increase in engine rpm. Seems like I've also lost the "smoothness" and power that the 4.7 normally had. No check engine light. Took it to my mechanic. No codes thrown. Replaced all plugs with NGK. Replaced fuel filter. visually checked exhaust system. "cleaned" injectors. Noise still there. Mechanic said might be a coil starting to go bad but no way to pinpoint which coil without a code. Expensive to replace all 8.

Any other ideas out there?
finfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View bemrise's Photo Gallery
I have an 08 Tacoma V6 and it makes the exact sound you guys are describing. The dealer keeps telling me its the injectors and its normal. Sounds like a manifold or cat problem.
bemrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Captain Underpants

After hooking up some ears, it turns out to be an injector. I have been running some injector cleaner with Octane Boost in my fuel every other fill up and it doesnt seem to help!!! However I am getting 25 Canadian MPG on the highway with my truck so I also do not want to start replacing things to jynx it! The new ones are only getting 19-20!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View Garbal's Photo Gallery
Exhaust sounds inside cab problem

I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering if any of you tried to check the boot at the end of the steering column through the firewall... if this is cracked it will let all sorts of funny sounds come up inside the cab.

I too fought with this... changed my exhaust headers etc to no avail...

The simple $20.00 steering column gasket/boot fixed my nightmare.

All the best,

Garbal.

Last edited by Garbal; 05-18-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Garbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tundra Forum > 1st Generation (20002006)