Hard Warm Start on 4Runner - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4Runner Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Toyota 4Runner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-04-2003, 02:01 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hard Warm Start on 4Runner

OK... I sold my BMW to a guy in another city and he had a 1996 4Runner for sale very cheap. Carmax said they would give him $2,300 for it, so that's what he sold it to me for - less than half the Edmunds TMV price. It was easier than flying back or having someone follow me to the other city. I basically just bought it for resale but have been enjoying it quite a bit.

Here's the problem. In the morning, it starts on the first time. If it's been running and is well-warmed up, and you turn it off for 5 seconds, it starts on the first time. If it's warmed up and you turn it off for, say, 10 minutes, it acts like it doesn't want to start. Chugugugugugugs.... let the key off. Repeat until it starts. Absolutely starts every time, doesn't run the battery down. Local shops can't diagnose it until Thursday but my buyer doesn't seem to want to wait that long.

2.7L auto. 147,000 miles. The previous owner said it had been doing this for a couple years but hadn't got any worse. Plus look good, battery and alt are good, haven't checked or replaced the fuel filter which I will later today just because...

Any guesses? Starter, fuel delivery or the coolant sensor are my guesses but that's a lot to just randomly cover!

Thanks for the help.

I have a car.
It has a stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2003, 03:27 PM
Listen Fatboy....

I'd start with a tune-up. Plugs, Wires, distributor cap and rotor, clean the injectors (manually...not with that additive crap) and see if that helps. It's a cheap way to start and a vehicle can usually benefit from a tune-up.

Curiosity killed Schrodinger's cat.....or did it?
#3 Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Official TN Member

those year runnners had some MAF problems, but that isnt what the symptoms for a faulty MAF are, ive seen 2 runners do the same thing and it was caused by the fuel pressure regulator (not to fun to replace the regulator is under the intake manifold)
#4 Old 08-05-2003, 12:41 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Well, I already sold the 4Runner... I didn't figure it would stick around long at that price in as nice a condition as it is in. Had two guys willing to take it as is for full asking price.

Just as additional information, I did replace the PCV, fuel filter, chassis ground cable ran about 100 miles worth of Techron and Premium fuel through it. I went to three diagnosis places that had looked at 4Runners before and two of them both suggested the cold start valve or fuel injectors were their guesses. I didn't have a chance to get it actually diagnosed as I sold it as is.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful tips. Hope it helps someone in the future that searches the forum for such a problem.

I have a car.
It has a stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge