Toyota Nation Forum banner

Antifreeze Smell

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  LTD 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a little problem. When I turn on my heater on my 4runner I get a slight smell of antifreeze, I thought maybe the heater core was leaking. I checked the floor board carpet to see if it was wet from a leaking heater core, but it was dry. Does anyone have any idea what coul be causing this antifreeze smell? Could the heater core be starting to go out? Or do I have bigger problems?

Thank You all In Advance!!

-Leo

#3 ·
I'll be watching this thread with interest because my 89 V6 pickup has been doing the same thing for at least three years. Also no visible signs of leak, just a smell, so I figure it must be a tiny leak. I'll be removing my dash in a couple weeks, so I may find something then.

#8 ·
I'll be watching this thread with interest because my 89 V6 pickup has been doing the same thing for at least three years. Also no visible signs of leak, just a smell, so I figure it must be a tiny leak. I'll be removing my dash in a couple weeks, so I may find something then.

Do a pressure check on the cooling system and you should easily be able to locate the leak.

#4 ·
I once replaced the heater hoses and then started noticing that smell. Couldn't find anything anywhere. Finally had the wife rev the engine as I watched. The new hoses had tiny little streams of coolant emitting from them. I took them back and they guy told his boss they had some more of that defective hose returned. Seems there were pinholes every few inches the whole length of the hose. Now, I don't think that's your problem but the point is it could be a very small leak which may only show up under pressure. Mine was gone almost the second it dropped to idle and was vaporizing so there was no evidence of the leak and probably would have been quite some time before I noticed a drop in coolant level. You might try revving the engine but a pressure check might be better. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.