94 4runner help! Running bad - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge

4Runner Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Toyota 4Runner.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View fugly258's Photo Gallery
94 4runner help! Running bad

First post on the site, hoping yall can help me out!

I have a 94 4runner v6 that has a service engine light since I bought it. I have had an OBD I plugged into it and 2 codes come up, 26: EGR, and 71: Lean air or fuel mixture.

Being only 20, my father going with me to buy the truck, and buying from his friend, It should be a smart buy right? I had no clue what the truck should feel like when driving so I bought it with my father saying its a good deal.

When I got it, the idle was a little rough and then it got worse and even died at times. I have hopped into other trucks and can tell, mine has no power, its like its missing 50 horsepower or something! Here is what I have replaced to try and fix the problem:

O2 sensor
cap and rotor
cleaned EGR valve(wasnt really dirty anyways)
fuel filter
spark plugs(plugs showed truck is running lean big time)
mass air flow sensor
air filter
air intake hose(had a crack they covered with electrical tape!)
ran sea foam through oil, gas, and vacuum line

Since I have done everything the truck is running a TON better. No significant idle problem and seems to have gained a little power(not much though). Now it feels like its missing like 30HP(rough estimate). I was told by a mechanic that since the EGR is clean, it could be the EGR selanoid. I was also told the catalytic converter is clogged, and with an old, custom muffler it could be clogged, too.

Any help would be appreciated! I hate that light being on. Oh and when I change the O2 sensor, mass air flow sensor, air intake hose, all at different times, the service engine light popped back on after ten minutes of driving. And I also have 31 inch tires and am getting 12.2MPG last time I did the little test.

So lets start trobleshooting and see what we can't come up with! Thanks!
fugly258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View dangho731's Photo Gallery
Hi there,

Did you have a chance to measure the compression in each cylinder? What is the mileage of your vehicle? I am still getting 18mpg within the city on my 93 4Runner. Also, you can call your local dealer to check if they have replace the head gasket for this typical model with your vin# under recall.

Good lucks,
hdt
dangho731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

I have not had the compression checked, I will try and get that done in the next week or two. I got the truck at 166 and now has 171k. I will call a local dealer after class today and check my VIN. I tried once before but never got through.......I always goes to voicemail.....
Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View dangho731's Photo Gallery
One more thing I forgot to mention. You might want to replace the fuel filter. If you happen to replace the fuel filter, there is a set of instruction at yotatech forum.

With the new environmental friendly 10/% ethanol gas these days, I notice the difference in the way my engine's performance. I used to run 87 octane gas but switched to 93 after they put 10% ethanol in it. It made a big difference in my smaller 2 strokes yamaha engine. Ethanol tends to evaporate and leaves water in the tank. Water + gas won't fix well together.

Mid-90s vintage 4Runners have known that head gasket issue. Toyota fixed it under recall. After the head gasket fixed, it performs very well.

I hope that this would help to troubleshoot your problem. It might not cure the whole thing but at least, you can elliminate one possibility.

Good lucks,

Please update your progress with your finding.
dangho731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

I replaced the fuel filter about a month ago at the same time as the air intake hose. I will try the 93 octane once but I don't think that would be the reason with me only getting 12MPG. That is too big of a defecit to blame on gas. I am calling the Toyota dealership here in about an hour to see if there is a recall.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

I called the Toyota dealership and I have a recall on a power steering rod or something like that. The head gasket recall was from 1997, I asked about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge