94 4runner running water sound -- head gasket? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge

4Runner Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Toyota 4Runner.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View bennedich's Photo Gallery
94 4runner running water sound -- head gasket?

I'm looking to buy a used 94 4runner. I found one yesterday at a great price, but when I test drove it I noticed a sound of running water from behind the dashboard. The sound appeared as I revved the engine up to about 1500 rpm, then disappeared after a few seconds. I was able to reproduce this several times during the drive.

I googled the problem and found that this is a fairly common problem among cars, caused by having air in the coolant system and fixed by simply adding some coolant. However, I also found two sites suggesting it could be caused by a leaking head gasket. Since this is the v6 3.0 engine prone to head gasket failure, I'm worried that's the culprit... I checked with a Toyota dealership and was told the head gasket was replaced in 1999. I did not see any white smoke from the tail pipe. Engine had lots of power and drove smoothly. It has 195000 miles on it.

Any advice? Do I still need to worry about the head gasket even though it was replaced 11 years ago? Would you advice me to drop this deal and look for another 4runner? Thanks!
bennedich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

View Sidney's Photo Gallery
Find out if the coolant was changed recently and if the cooling system was bled and bled properly. Otherwise I suspect a headgasket, a compression test, leak down test and a hydrocarbon test (I think that's what they call it) on the coolant will show if headgasket is bad.

Sidney
Email:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View mwebster22's Photo Gallery
Not sure about 4R's, but a quick way to check for headgasket leak is to remove the radiator cap, fill the neck completely up, then look for bubbles when running.
mwebster22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge