'97 4runner Limited High Idle - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge

4Runner Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Toyota 4Runner.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ascender's Photo Gallery
European Union '97 4runner Limited High Idle

I've had my '97 4Runner Limited for a couple months and I'm real happy with it. One thing buggin' me. When I start it in cold weather, The high idle stays up way too long and I don't like dropping it in gear when it's that high - 1200-1400 rpm. It takes about 10 minutes (idling) for the idle to come down to normal. I've looked at the Idle speed control but not sure to tell for sure if that's it. I would appreciate any help, thanks.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $715765
View jetwhine's Photo Gallery
ascender,

Just have a question. Does your car run colder than normal? The temp guage should be just a tadd below half way when warm. The reason why I'm asking is if the engine coolant thermostat is not working properly then the engine will take longer to warm up thus giving you the high idle too long. Your high idle mught need to be adjusted. I don't have a manual for your rig but I'm sure there is someone that has one that can tell you how to adjust if it can be adjusted. Along with checking the warm up temp. Hope this helps.
jetwhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Re: High Idle

Running temp. is good. Warms up fast temperature wise. Wish I knew more about how that part works. I don't think it's adjustable. It does work as far as gradually lowering the idle but I know it should happen a lot sooner. Wondering about possible vacuum leak, temp sensor, or the Idle Air Control valve itself.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

ascender,

Ok, if the temp is fine, now go to a local parts store, they have the OBDII tester. They can run a diagnostic check of the computer to check for codes that won't turn on the CEL. (check engine light). Some codes will only be stored for troubleshooting purposes.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

That's a thought.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View Panhead Jim's Photo Gallery
one other thought. my radiator cap was bad, I didn't know it, but the truck rumbled after shutdown and the idle was ALWAYS up. 1100 commonly when warm. I had given up, till one morning the truck ran hot, no coolant. Over time, the bad cap had allowed the boiling to reduce the coolant level and it eventually got so low it ran hot. when I replaced the cap, of course flushing and refilling, not only does it not rumble (boiling) after shutdown, but the idle went down consistently to 900-950. I feel kinda stupid for not catching it sooner, but all's well that ends. maybe you have a faulty cap. I'd at least check.
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Panhead Jim For This Useful Post:
ascender (02-05-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Cleaning

It's also been suggested to clean the IAC valve. While I think it's a good idea, I don't have high expectations that it will decrease the time it takes for the idle to settle to 'normal'. I'm just used to driving vehicles that idle down within a minute or two, while still not at operating temperature.
As far as the radiator cap, hey, it's 13 years old with 125k on it, it would be a good idea to either check it or just replace it.
Thanks and I'll post any updates.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

ascender,

I have one more idea. Maybe your start circuit timer is staying on too long. Giving your rig a longer start mode therefor allowing it to high idle longer. There is a coolant temp sensor that controls the start circuit and maybe it is malfunctioning. This is not dash cluster information, it is sent only to the start timer. Just off of the top of my head I think the ''switch over" temp is around 140 deg.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetwhine For This Useful Post:
ascender (02-06-2010)
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks Jetwhine. This is good stuff. I'm gonna locate that bugger via the service manual and look into changing it out. There's no shortage of sensors in these. Nothing happening this weekend though, we got serious snow goin on.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

View Sidney's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
Thanks Jetwhine. This is good stuff. I'm gonna locate that bugger via the service manual and look into changing it out. There's no shortage of sensors in these. Nothing happening this weekend though, we got serious snow goin on.
Don't waste your money changing parts unless you are fairly certain of culprit. Measure the resistance of the water temperature sensor for ECU (EFI computer) and the cold start injector time switch, the other part located next to it.
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

ascender,

If you have a factory service manual, there are tests for each component. Like sidney said don't just throw parts at it. I know sometimes it is easier that way but also costly. Just follow that manual and you should be able to eliminate the good parts and hopefully find the bad one.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetwhine For This Useful Post:
ascender (02-11-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge