Part Time 4WD/ Full Time 4WD - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge

4Runner Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Toyota 4Runner.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View peterk9's Photo Gallery
Part Time 4WD/ Full Time 4WD

I was told by my salesman that the 4Runner with part time (selectable) 4WD can be left in 4WD all the time if desired. Even at hwy speeds. If so, then it would be less expensive getting the 4WD (part time) SR5 than having to get the one with Limited package (full time 4WD).
Can anyone confirm that what the salesman told is correct?
Thanks.

Peter
Lease Transferred - Canadian '09 HL Ltd, Classic Silver Metallic with Nav, ash interior, body side moulding, hood deflector, Camry trumpet horns, Philips X-Treme Power bulbs, Toyota 3 piece rubber floor and cargo mats. My 2011 Explorer Limited has arrived.
peterk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $340370
View canddmeyer's Photo Gallery
Which year 4Runner are you referring to?
canddmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Now - 2011 Explorer Ltd

View peterk9's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canddmeyer View Post
Which year 4Runner are you referring to?
I was speaking to him about the 2010 model but I was wondering if it also applied to the 2009 models.
Lease Transferred - Canadian '09 HL Ltd, Classic Silver Metallic with Nav, ash interior, body side moulding, hood deflector, Camry trumpet horns, Philips X-Treme Power bulbs, Toyota 3 piece rubber floor and cargo mats. My 2011 Explorer Limited has arrived.
peterk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $292600
View kball's Photo Gallery
I don't know what they are calling it these days on the new car lots but I do guarantee finding a salesman that knows something is rare. As far as I know, part time 4WD always refers to the type that you can only use off hwy. You must be on loose ground so the drivetrain does not bind up. Full time is more like an all wheel drive setup. Made for all surfaces.
kball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $340370
View canddmeyer's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kball View Post
I don't know what they are calling it these days on the new car lots but I do guarantee finding a salesman that knows something is rare. As far as I know, part time 4WD always refers to the type that you can only use off hwy. You must be on loose ground so the drivetrain does not bind up. Full time is more like an all wheel drive setup. Made for all surfaces.
That's a pretty good summary. You can use the 4wd where any slippage might be present, including wet roadways, but don't make a habit of it.

Yes, 2003 thru 2009 models have AWD capabilty on all the 4wd models. For 2010 Toyota made one less improvement by only giving the AWD option to the Limited..........the other models are now 2wd or 4wd only.

The Sequoia has AWD capabilty on the SR5. Another brand that has full-time 4wd on all 4wd models is the Jeep Grand Cherokee, however the Laredo model doesn't have a low-range. Right now they're about $10,000 off MSRP as the 2011's are coming, but Jeep has so-so reliability, and the dealers apparently hate warranty work from what I've read.

In all honesty, get SR5 and you'll be happy.
canddmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge