4Runner Sunroof Leak - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4Runner Lounge General discussion area for all generations of the Toyota 4Runner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
4Runner Sunroof Leak

I have a 97 4Runner that has developed a leak on a factory sunroof. The water comes through the seal of the glass and the frame of the sunroof. Does anyone now the proper way to seal this or should some windshield silicone be put around the perimeter of the glass/frame? Any help appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Official TN Member

I would try and silicone the glass/frame, sounds like a good solution.
#3 Old 09-24-2005, 03:19 AM
Official TN Member

What kind of Silicone are you talking about? Silicone spray or Silicone Sealant? Lubricate the edge of the seals with Silicone lube spray, ok. I wouldn't use silicone sealant on my 97 Toyota that's for sure. Does the glass slide up and fit in nicely when closed? Toyota's that have factory sunroof/moonroofs have a "tray" or sub-roof that has the sliding panel operator tracks and mechanism. There are drain tubes at each corner of this tray for drainage. This tray also overlaps the sunroof panel by a fair bit. Open the roof and look down and you will see the tray/tracks/operator around the edges. I must say that I've worked on many a sunroof, and Toyota sunroofs are generally pretty good. Don't use Silicone sealant on any sunroof that you ever want to open again.
#4 Old 09-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Toyota Fanboy

Im with Williams on this one. Silicone sealant is the answer only if you dont want to ever open the sunroof again.
If anything, Id take it to someone who does autoglass replacement and have them install a new seal. It might cost you some money, but at least it will be done right.
I also agree with Williams in that Toyota's sunroofs are pretty darned good. Back in '98 I had an '85 4Runner SR5 with a factory sunroof and even at 13 years old it never leaked a drop of water!
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax2007 View Post
Toyota is not any more "special" than every other company the media has targeted in the past.
'07 Toyota Camry LE
Toyota: Like other cars, only better.

#5 Old 10-04-2005, 06:56 PM
toyotas kick a$$

Did you check for any drain holes around the sun roof, I know I fixed my cuzins' Camry sunroof leak by unclogging his passenger side drain hole which happened to be the problem............just a thought. I will check my 94 runner for the same drain holes...either way let meknow if it wurks.

DCZV in JAX Fl.
#6 Old 10-06-2005, 07:32 AM
New TN User

Did you get it fixed? I have the same problem, but mine won't even open. I might as well have a hole in my roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner Lounge