2002 Tacoma Timing Belt replacement - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.5–2004)

1st Generation (1995.5–2004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View fajkus1's Photo Gallery
2002 Tacoma Timing Belt replacement

I'm in the procees of needing to change my timing belt on my 2002 TACOMA. I looked for a manual for the truck at the autoparts store (AutoZone, etc) and they said that the truck was to new and that book was not out yet.....so went to the dealership and there was 4 different sections on the truck for $100 a book. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this.....Its not that I don't know how to do the job its just that I need the manual because when I did this before on another toyota I had the manual and it made it real easy......just wanted to see if anyone has a website where I can find the manual......or any info on how to do this project.....Thanks
fajkus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View waldog's Photo Gallery
This is the procedure for 2001-2004 Tacoma with the 3.4 V6. I am assuming the 3.4 as you stated timing BELT.

Remove
http://65.200.1.6/FSM/Repair_Manual/...imbel/remo.pdf

Install
http://65.200.1.6/FSM/Repair_Manual/...imbel/inst.pdf

The entire factory service manual can be found at http://fsm.afraid.org/.

Have a blast!
waldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View lancekilgore's Photo Gallery
For some reason I can't get the Http://fsm.afraid.org to pop up any body else haveing thath problem?
Fajkus1 why are you changing the belt did you hit 90,000 already?
lancekilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View fajkus1's Photo Gallery
Yep bout a month ago I did.............and I'm not having any problems

Thaks WALDOG for your help.....!!!!!
fajkus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View rocketeer928's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldog View Post
This is the procedure for 2001-2004 Tacoma with the 3.4 V6. I am assuming the 3.4 as you stated timing BELT.

Remove
http://65.200.1.6/FSM/Repair_Manual/...imbel/remo.pdf

Install
http://65.200.1.6/FSM/Repair_Manual/...imbel/inst.pdf
These two pdf links don't work. Can I find this information elsewhere? Thanks.
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View EnolaGaia's Photo Gallery
The 2001 - 2004 FSM documentation is currently available at:

http://www.*******.com/fsm/2003/index.html
EnolaGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View vernon's Photo Gallery
4 cylinder

my 2002 has 100k on it. does anyone have a like for changing the chain on the 4 cylinder?
i have done this on my 91 yota already. not that hard to do for me. just took up a saturday.
vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Jakesdog2004's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajkus1 View Post
I'm in the procees of needing to change my timing belt on my 2002 TACOMA. I looked for a manual for the truck at the autoparts store (AutoZone, etc) and they said that the truck was to new and that book was not out yet.....so went to the dealership and there was 4 different sections on the truck for $100 a book. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this.....Its not that I don't know how to do the job its just that I need the manual because when I did this before on another toyota I had the manual and it made it real easy......just wanted to see if anyone has a website where I can find the manual......or any info on how to do this project.....Thanks
Haynes has a manual for the 95-04 Tacoma. I think I bought mine at Auto Zone or Pep Boys.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

1991 link

the link that some one gave me on this sight about the timing chain on my 91 yota was far better than any haynes manual that i have on any of my trucks. it was easier to follow and gave better details to what i was trying to do.
an example on my 91 yota thier is a hidden bolt that is in the head that is in a place that fills up with oil. you have to remove this bolt to remove the timing chain cover. haynes manuel does not even talk about this. i know people that have cracked thier heads because of this.
this is just one example.
but honestly you can get better links to download from people on this sight than what you can buy.
i am hopeing someone will read this and share one with me for my 2002 4 cylinder.
the job on my 91 i saved about $350 doing this myself.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View hossmaster's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon View Post
my 2002 has 100k on it. does anyone have a like for changing the chain on the 4 cylinder?
i have done this on my 91 yota already. not that hard to do for me. just took up a saturday.

I don't think you are even close to needing a chain change. Usually they need replacing when the stretch enough to throw off the timing. between 150 to 250k
hossmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

i think that you may be right

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster View Post
I don't think you are even close to needing a chain change. Usually they need replacing when the stretch enough to throw off the timing. between 150 to 250k
on my 91 yota i paid someone to do this for me around 175000 miles then i did it myself at 300000.
i might wait another 25000 miles of my 2002. but i would still like to get my hands on a link that i could download to save for when i discice to so this.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
New TN User

View Cryoman's Photo Gallery
Timing Belt/Waterpump lessons learned

Just did my timing belt, waterpump, etc and wanted to pass along my lessons learned. I read up quite a bit, but don’t remember seeing these thoughts:

Protect the radiator with cardboard or remove it. I darn near damaged a fin

If you plan to replace the cam shaft oil seals, remove cam shaft bolts before the old timing belt so that you can use the leverage of the crankshaft bolt to hold the pulleys. Alternatively you can use a strap wrench.

If you don’t have a 250LB impact gun, use a heavy duty strap wrench, sand paper, and double sided tape to remove/install the crankshaft bolt

Use a dremel with brass wire brush to do the final clean on the waterpump mating surface. It corrodes and pits due to dissimilar metals between the aluminum housing and the metal/rubber gasket. More then scrapping is needed.

2.5 gallons of anti-freeze are needed

The special snap-on pulley spreader tool works well, but I needed to leave it in to get the belt on. The pin didn’t hold the tensioner back enough. Also, make sure the pin hole is in alignment first.

Pressure wash the engine before working on it. I had planned this, but it was raining/cold the past week.

Cryoman
Cryoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View lancekilgore's Photo Gallery
Good points, I just did mine last month and every thing you said is correct. I removed the tenioner since I did not have the special tool and used a vice to press it in. I actually found it easier with the tentioner removed. very fun job but I am glad it was done surely don't want the belt to break on me.
lancekilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.5–2004)