Hella 500 driving lights install question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)

1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View yellerteef's Photo Gallery
Hella 500 driving lights install question

ok. Picked up a set of Hella 500 Driving Lights at Advance Auto Parts store today (in stock...heh) and have a question about getting the wiring to the rocker switch through the firewall. Guess ya drill a hole huh? Or anyone do this differently? Any replies are appreciated. Don't have anything to mount them to yet although looking at the Westin Bull Bar which is more expensive than the Light Bar. Just want to get the wiring part out of the way while I make a decision what I want to do next.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
GO PATRIOTS!

Gameroom cash: $335506
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
View Dana_15's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellerteef
ok. Picked up a set of Hella 500 Driving Lights at Advance Auto Parts store today (in stock...heh) and have a question about getting the wiring to the rocker switch through the firewall. Guess ya drill a hole huh? Or anyone do this differently? Any replies are appreciated. Don't have anything to mount them to yet although looking at the Westin Bull Bar which is more expensive than the Light Bar. Just want to get the wiring part out of the way while I make a decision what I want to do next.
I can probabley answer this question better tommorow or within the next four days. I purchased a set of Hella FF50 driving lights off a guy in the For Sale TN forum for 30$ and plan on mounting them to Westin Safari Bar I just put on. If there is no rubber grommet in the viscintiy I'll just drill a hole through and sleeve it. I did the same for my amplifier so it won't be a problem. You don't plan on wiring them like the instructions tell you too right? Having them run just when the highbeams are on would be totally useless. I'm going to wire mine through the switch (from the battery) and run the relay leg to the fuse panel and attach it with an Access-A-Fuse so the lights won't come on with the key out of the ignition. Your not using the switch from Hella are you? Those are ugly. I ordered one from Toyota (its actually for a 4-Runner) but it is an illuminated fog light switch that snaps into the cut out in your dash, there are two right below your ashtray (one if you have an alarm) and it only cost 12$. Its part number 00550-35976
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/switch/ Tells about it

Here's some wiring diagrams also
http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...ghts/corey.htm

Good luck. Its supposed to be real cold this weekend so I might not get to it.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View yellerteef's Photo Gallery
Re: Hella 500 driving lights install question

You're right. I don't like the little green rocker switch either and wondered what I could do as an alternative solution. Glad to know Toyota has one that fits in the dash, plus it's illuminated which makes it even better. Thanks for finding and posting that for us. As for the wiring, i'll probably do what you're doing. Just run it off the battery ect... I was poking around under the hood earlier today and did see a rubber gromet (unused) about the middle of the firewall and looks like it comes out under the dash kinda high up. That's where i'll come in the cabin with my connector wire(s) if I can get to it. If not...? Dunno. Still haven't decided on a mount yet for the lights. I kinda know what I want but haven't found it yet locally. I did go to Hunters Custom Automotive and looked at a brush guard that weighed 50 pounds and cost $345.00 but I don't want something that large rattling around on the front of my truck plus it's overkill for the front end. imo. Thanks for posting and good luck with your install as well.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
GO PATRIOTS!

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Just wired mine up today. I like the look of them being oval and driving lights instead of round (to each thier own) or fog lights. It was a pain in the butt to say the least. Under the hood everything went easy. Except all of the wires were way too long except for the ground wires for the lights themselves, so I had to improvise and drilled a self tapping screw near the hood latch. Everything was going good until I found out the Access-A-Fuse I picked up is a normal size fuse not the mini's which are in the Tacoma's. I was pissed, but I still didn't want to tap into any headlight wires for the relay switch, I wanted the driving lights to be completely independent of the headlights (or parking lights) but still shut-off when the key is off. I read on CustomTaco's that you can tap into the hot line on the power outlets (the red wire with the black stripe). No problem--except that those stupid snap connectors that came with the lights wouldn't puncture the wire so I had to solder a wire in place and hook it up to the switch. Worked like a charm. The Toyota switch blends perfectly into the dash and no holes, except that I mounted it completely upside down and didn't notice it till I put the dash back together . Anything I can help you with just ask.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Speed Junkie

View AfterShock's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellerteef
I was poking around under the hood earlier today and did see a rubber gromet (unused) about the middle of the firewall and looks like it comes out under the dash kinda high up.
Thats where most people run their wires. You can access it easily from under the dash. I just straightened out a clothes hanger, pushed it through the rubber grommet to make a new hole, taped the relay wire to it in the engine bay, then pulled it back into the cab.

I just put a pair of Hella 500 fog lights on my grill guard 2 weeks ago and I love them. When driving on unlit roads at night they make a huge difference and really light up the sides of the road so I can keep an eye out for suicidal deer as well.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Mike-in-WV's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
Thats where most people run their wires. You can access it easily from under the dash. I just straightened out a clothes hanger, pushed it through the rubber grommet to make a new hole, taped the relay wire to it in the engine bay, then pulled it back into the cab.

I just put a pair of Hella 500 fog lights on my grill guard 2 weeks ago and I love them. When driving on unlit roads at night they make a huge difference and really light up the sides of the road so I can keep an eye out for suicidal deer as well.
Can you tell me how you have yours set up? I want to have mine so they come off and on with my bright and dim switch in my truck but I also want to be able to turn them off when I don't want to use them. My thinking is that if I want to run with my rock guards or light overs on I will have to remember to remove them just to run to the store at night or remember to remove them every night before going anywhere. Tried to explain this on another site but I guess they all thought I was nuts or something.No one understood what I wanted Mike
Mike-in-WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
GO PATRIOTS!

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-in-WV
I want to have mine so they come off and on with my bright and dim switch in my truck but I also want to be able to turn them off when I don't want to use them.
Run it off a switch, like the stock Toyota one aforementioned. Intercept the power line after your dimmer switch and tie that into one of the terminals on the switch, with another line going from the switch to the relay (third terminal on switch needs to be grounded). So the light would ONLY come on if the dimmer switch is ON and the switch is on, so the fogs could be shut off eventhough the dimmer is still on......I don't what year your truck is but I remember hooking up the driving lights on my 04 Tacoma and it was pretty practical to hook into the cigarette lighter power line (instead of the dimmer) then the lights could come on ONLY if the ignition was on and was completely independent of everything else.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

dana, If I'm following you right it sounds like just the setup I wanted. My truck is a 2001,4x4 , extended cap ,auto, 2.7 SR5. The wiring should be about the same as the 04, I would think??? Thanks for the reply, Mike
Old 12-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
GO PATRIOTS!

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-in-WV
dana, If I'm following you right it sounds like just the setup I wanted. My truck is a 2001,4x4 , extended cap ,auto, 2.7 SR5. The wiring should be about the same as the 04, I would think??? Thanks for the reply, Mike
The ones I had worked pretty good with being tied into the cigarette lighter line...just worked off the switch, didn't have to have anything else on (except the ignition) and it wouldn't run your battery dry because for the line to be hot the ignition would have to be on.

This is the diagram off Yotatech.com. He tied the hot line into the low beams so the lights
would only come on with the low beams (and switch ON), which is fine...but sometimes I just like to have the fogs/driving lights on by themselves. So the line tied into the beams on the diagram would be tied into the cigarette lighter or as you wanted it into the dimmer. Good luck. It looks harder than it really is

Last edited by Dana_15; 12-22-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Dana_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Thanks Dana! Now I can't wait tell Santa gets here........Wait! Is that slay bells I hear on the roof or did I drink to much egg nog? Lol. Have a great Christmas ya all, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)