2.7 4CYL timing chain replacement nightmare? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)

1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View xsacta's Photo Gallery
2.7 4CYL timing chain replacement nightmare?

Hey all,

I've replaced the timimg chain on my '86 22R pickup twice. Both times were kinda hellish IMO. Is replacing the timing chain on the 2.7 liter engine as much of a task? I'm looking at a '97 with 130K miles on it. The owner doesn't recall ever having the timing chain done so I know that would be on my short list of things to do. Any advice? TIA!

Last edited by xsacta; 03-12-2006 at 03:04 AM.
xsacta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View rugerm44's Photo Gallery
chain

If dosent rattle its probably fine.The engine has 2 timing chains and the manual says that you have to remove the front diff to change it.Makes the 22r look easy.I have changed one or two 22r timing chains.Both without removing oil pan.I did wind up pulling the heads on both.I would use the timing chain and the fact that it has high miles on it as leverage on the price.
rugerm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View doverville's Photo Gallery
hold on, is there a specific time you should replace the timing chain. ruger, you said that if it is not making a rattling noise it's ok. i'm under the impression that the chain is not like timing belts that need to be replaced at specific intervals. it only needs to be replaced when it goes bad. is that right? just want to make sure i am not overlooking some critical maintanance! anything else to be aware of that might alert you to a faulty timing chain?
doverville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

chain

I have never seen a timing chain failure in a toyota.It rattled while it ran at 250.000 miles.It wasnt mine.I would have changed it way before then.The belt expands and dry rots.There isnt a warning for a belt it just gose.The timing chain guides and tensioner will wear causing the rattle sound on start up.Me myself I would change it at around 150,000 even if it dosent rattle.Thats just me.I take better care of my vehicles than I do myself.There is a waiting list for when I sell one.I have owned toyotas all the way back to 79.That was my first 4x4.Combined I have put over 700,000 miles on them over the years.Up to the 02 v6 I have they have all been 4cy with timing chains.A chain will expand sooner or latter but everyone I have owned had the tensioner and guides wear out first.The 20r and 22r have plastic nylon rub guides that have a life span no matter what kind of oil you use.My 87 had not even a hint of wear on the cylinder walls or cam shaft when I changed the chain and tensioner at 120,000 miles.The tensioner and guides were wore out .The good thing about the timing belt is its easy to change.I changed my aunts on her car the othere day.it had 70,000 on it.It had expanded and it had cracks on the back side of it.She is fairly old and is very easy on her car.The dry rot got to it as well as expanding.It was fairly lose.My 02 just had its bekt changed under warranty with 22,000 miles on it.The idler pulley started making a noise that sounded like a fan belt.It got louder and louder till I could pin point it>While they had it apart they found the water pump seal cracked to.All this with 22,000 miles on it.The belt didnt look too bad but I made them change it while they were in there.I hate letting othere people work on my stuff.I almost did myself.Oh well the warranty runs out in a year.I will probably fix anything else myself.Its hard to find someone that will do it like me.You know how that gose.

Last edited by rugerm44; 03-16-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View doverville's Photo Gallery
yeah, i do know how that goes. don't get me started on Goodyear Gemini! but that's great info. i am at about 120k on my truck (2.7), so i guess i still have some time left. i am pretty observant when it comes to new noises popping up, and ican't stand to hera them until i get the source figured out. I appreciate the insight!
doverville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Toyota One

View ttus's Photo Gallery
Rugerm44

I notice you said "Belt" not "Chain"

The 2.7 has a belt you said, what does the 2.4 2004 model have, if you don't mind?

Thanks
ttus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

chain

I was comparing it to a belt.The 2.7 has 2 timing chains.The 20r and 22r,2.4 have timing chains.The 20r was more robust because it had a double row timing chain.The 22r series had a single timing chain.There is a company that sells a kit to convert a 22r to a double row timing chain.The chain will go farther than the belt.Its just harder to replace.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View KC_Mike's Photo Gallery
'96 Taco 2.7, 5-spd, 4x4 timing chain

At 290,000 my timing chains have never been replaced and they don't rattle. I don't run my engine over 3,000 rpm in that entire time (I purchased it new), and I'm a maintenance freak, so if you take care of them, they'll reward you with a very long life - inexpensively. They are much more reliable than the 20R and 22R. L.C.Engineering also makes a double-row chain for the 3RZ 4 cyl (2.7).
KC_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)