Adding keyless remote/alarm to 01 Tacoma - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)

1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View txtroutbum's Photo Gallery
Adding keyless remote/alarm to 01 Tacoma

Bought a 2001 Tacoma xtra cab/TRD today for my son. I've driven 4Runners for years, and love the Toyota reliability. His Tacoma didn't come with keyless remote or alarm, and I'd love to add that feature for him.

Recommendations on systems? I assume Toyota's RS300 and/or RS3200 system would be compatible, but I'm not finding much helpful info out there. I'd love to do it myself (actually with my boy!) and my guess is the Toyota system would be simplest plug-and-play.

Thanks for any help....
txtroutbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View jrm8's Photo Gallery
I had Circuit City do mine. I ain't that good with all that wiring and wanted it to work well.
jrm8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $351795
View toto's Photo Gallery
Keyless entry still wasn't considered an option in 2001. You had to have Toyota's alarm system to get keyless entry.

I did an install of the Toyota system on a 2001 RAV4 in order to add keyless entry. The package came with a couple of wiring harnesses, a computer module, the glass break sensor, and the key fobs. The hardest part of the install was carefully taking apart the driver's side of the dash and part of the steering column to get at the points where the wiring harness had to plug in. With everything apart, it was pretty simple to plug things in. No cutting of wires, and also everything was idiot-proof - every connector was different.

The Toyota alarm system is pretty basic as alarms go. It'll honk if the doors or the hood are opened without unlocking the doors properly, and it has the glass breakage sensor. It also cuts off the ignition in an alarm condition. And of course, you get keyless entry.

If you're looking for do-it-yourself, I'd certainly consider the Toyota system. It's probably not the best combination of features for the money (you might get more for your money with aftermarket), but as you figured, the integration with the existing wiring is excellent. You need to find the correct alarm model for your 2001 Taco. I think the 3000 and 3200 are slightly different inside, so you'll need to work with a dealer (either local or online) to find the thing. You need to order two parts - the base system, and also the specific wiring harness for your truck.

Last edited by toto; 12-05-2006 at 07:36 AM.
toto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Toto,

thanks for the info...based on what I'm finding online, the rs3000 will fit the 01 Tacoma, but not the rs3200.

Anyone have any experience with good dealers online for this? I'm also assuming install will be pretty straighforward...I'm not timid about taking the dash apart, but sure want to know that it's a pretty straightforward process...
Old 12-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View todds21's Photo Gallery
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtroutbum
Toto,

thanks for the info...based on what I'm finding online, the rs3000 will fit the 01 Tacoma, but not the rs3200.

Anyone have any experience with good dealers online for this? I'm also assuming install will be pretty straighforward...I'm not timid about taking the dash apart, but sure want to know that it's a pretty straightforward process...
Toyota of Dallas has pretty good discounted prices online
http://trdparts4u.com/
todds21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
trd04taco

View trd04taco's Photo Gallery
I added the 3200 to my '04 and found out a few things:
The '03-'04 Tacomas with the keyless entry come with all the harnesses and everything installed except the glass break sensor/LED and they need a wire cut under the dash. Unfortunately the 2002 and before Tacomas without the alarm didn't come with the rest of the wiring so while it can be done, like toto said you need all the harnesses, modules, etc.
The Toyota alarm also has some other neat features. If someone tries to jimmy the lock, it will send it into alarm and automatically keep re-locking the doors so someone can't break in. You can also change quite a few of the options by going through some crazy codes (like close and open door 5 times, turn key twice, open door, turn key on, etc) and it allows for you to customize how it works. It would probably be cheaper to add an aftermarket alarm in unless you plan to install the Toyota one yourself.
trd04taco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

After some research I've found that the Toyota VIP RS3000 system is compatible with the 01 Tacoma, and it looks to be a fairly straighforward install. Best price I've found for a new system from a dealer is $190 + $30 or so for the install kit. There are no new kits on eBay...

So now my question is this....anyone have any experience with a comparable, but less expensive aftermarket system? I'm mostly interested in keyless entry and some form of alarm, but I'm not too concerned with having motion sensors, force fields, barking dog sounds, etc....Just the basics for a decent price...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
trd04taco

That's not too bad of a price for the factory alarm; I'd go with it if I were you.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View zootjeff's Photo Gallery
What about if you don't have auto door locks?

I have a single cab Toyota 4x4 with a 2.7L engine. It doesn't have auto door locks, can you put in keyless entry if you don't have auto door locks by default? How much are the actuators for the locks?
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
trd04taco

Zootjeff,
You probably could, but I'd just go aftermarket in your case if I were you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)