Toyota Nation Forum banner

Hard start

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  johnv 
#1 ·
Before I get flamed for asking a easy question, I did search and couldn't find any info on it. So here is my question:

My truck starts ('04 PreRunner V6), but it doesn't start right away. Like I have to crank the key and it goes a little bit till it actually turns over and starts up. Its probably like 1-2 seconds, maybe just 1.5 All I know is that this is the longest I've ever had a car start up. Even my '91 ranger starts up instantly. I did buy the truck used and it has 41k. Could I need to change spark plugs? Coils? I'm not sure what the problem might be, if there is one (could be normal?). Any info would be great. Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
I have the answer for you my 2004 V6 Tacoma did that since the first week I owned it,its not the battery or connections. Theres 2 Technical Service Bulletins from Toyota for it EG042.04 Replace Engine Harness #2(Neg. battery cable) and EG052.04 Replace fuel pick-up tube these 2 TSB's cover 2003-2004 Tacomas V6's and must be done under the 36,000 mile warranty. This problem of hard starting gets worse if you live in cold climates when you leave it over nite in a cold soak below freezing,I had both TSB's done to my truck and has cured it but I was pissed,recently the weather here is close to freezing and it still doesnt power on like I would want to but its alot better than before! Dont let the stealers lie to you and say we just cleaned the battery terminals and its fixed,if necessary call Toyota Corp. Customer Service to get the ball rolling.My advice is get both TSB's done before the 36,000 mile warranty is up,it will be like a new truck after. This is definetly YOUR problem.

#4 ·
Having work done as prescribed by TSB's can be done anytime, but it's only free if the bumper-to-bumper warranty is still in effect. TSB's aren't recalls, so the word is not required to be done to every vehicle.

If what the TSB's are saying is truly the solution, then that's what the dealer would likely recommend doing to the truck. But since the 3/36K warranty is up in Dale's case, he'd have to pay for the work and parts.

#5 ·
Your right in Dales case he has 41,000miles on the truck it wouldnt be covered,unless he bought it used from a dealer with a Toyota Certified Used car warranty or if the previous owner had an extended warranty,unfortunately if he has niether there is not much you can do. Unless he contacts Toyota Motor Corp. and pleads his case,and says he'll never buy a Toyota product again because of a lemon he has now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.