1995 Tacoma 3.4 V6 high RPM - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)

1st Generation (1995.52004) 1st generation Tacoma information and discussion.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View ericwilson54's Photo Gallery
1995 Tacoma 3.4 V6 high RPM

I have a 1995 Tacoma SR5 3.4 V6 4x4 automatic. It seems to idle extremely high. I've mentioned this to a couple mechanics who have said they wouldn't worry about it. These were not Toyota certified mechanics. The engine idles so high that when I pull up to a stop I have to stay on the brakes to keep the truck still. This is really bad when the engine is cold but it is noticable even after the engine has heated up to normal range.

Can anyone give me a round about listing of idle RPM numbers for their 3.4 auto's? If my numbers are much higher than average, I plan on taking mine to a Toyota mechanic.
ericwilson54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View stshannon's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwilson54 View Post
I have a 1995 Tacoma SR5 3.4 V6 4x4 automatic. It seems to idle extremely high. I've mentioned this to a couple mechanics who have said they wouldn't worry about it. These were not Toyota certified mechanics. The engine idles so high that when I pull up to a stop I have to stay on the brakes to keep the truck still. This is really bad when the engine is cold but it is noticable even after the engine has heated up to normal range.

Can anyone give me a round about listing of idle RPM numbers for their 3.4 auto's? If my numbers are much higher than average, I plan on taking mine to a Toyota mechanic.
It should'nt be idling any higher than 800rpm's when you are at normal operating temp you may want to start looking at your idle air control valve that would be the first thing to look at
stshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View 12guns's Photo Gallery
May be a dumb answer, but I did this once...
Make sure the accelerator cable is still in the guide propperly. On time I was jumping another car and pushed the accelerator by hand, when you do that the cable can jump out of the guide. Just a quick fix to look for. Good luck w/ the problem
12guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View ericwilson54's Photo Gallery
Good info

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll pay close attention to my gauge on the way home to today. I'm pretty sure my idle RPM is close to 1000 at normal temps.
ericwilson54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View s4ndwich's Photo Gallery
Make sure your air filter is clean, when my air filter was trashed my truck was idling around 1200-1500 at stop lights.. then i threw a new one in and back down to 700

My baby, 2000 Tacoma PreRunner V6, Custom Sound System , Rims, Tires, SnugTop..so far
s4ndwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Taco lover

Gameroom cash: $106905
View riceye's Photo Gallery
I've installed the deck plate mod since last winter, so this is the first winter with it in place. Earlier this winter I noticed that the engine seemed to idle high for a very long time with the deck plate cover off.

I've put the cover on, and I think the idle comes down quicker.

May be my imagination, though. That'll happen!

Cheers,
Ric
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View fingers8's Photo Gallery
Talking 95 high idle

youre idle should be around 700-800. my 95 had a bad coolant temp sensor cheap ins for 30 bucks. clean iac valve make sure no junk inside but dont touch any screws on it or throttle body. also check air filter clean ?. must remove throttle body to get to iac valve. if found bad i have new toyota valve i obtained through friend. prob temp sensor. its behind top rad hose. youll need 3/4 12 point socket and remove bolts for timing belt cover. anyquestions fingers8@verizon.net
fingers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Offical TN Hillbilly

View TcmaBoy's Photo Gallery
Everybody likes to point at the IAC, but you should also look for vac leaks, and make sure the throttle opener is properly adjusted and working.

Please wheel responsibly.
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 1st Generation (1995.52004)